Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-22, 04:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Weight Gain during Menopause. Protein Leverage

Profs Raubenheimer and Simpson, known for their work on Protein Leverage and Obesity have published a new paper this month:

Weight gain during the menopause transition: Evidence for a mechanism dependent on protein leverage

https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.c...1471-0528.17290

Want to avoid weight gain during the menopausal transition? And I would add, Want to lose weight after menopause? Increase the Protein Percentage of diet which has other health benefits. The summary box in the paper:

Quote:
BOX 1.
Main points The menopause transition increases individuals' susceptibilities to weight gain and obesity.

Protein requirements increase during the menopause transition due to tissue protein breakdown.

Increased protein breakdown is coupled to protein-specific appetite by a mechanism based on production of FGF21 and/or other muscle or liver-derived hormones.

The increase in protein appetite drives either a shift to foods with higher protein contents or increased total energy intake (protein leverage).

A failure to change the composition of the diet by the introduction of additional protein and removal of carbohydrate and/or fat results in increased energy intake and storage, and increased body weight.

A rational modification to the diet based on increased dietary protein concentration can be used to ameliorate or prevent weight gain.

Marty Kendall's summary:

Quote:
My summary:

1. A reduction in estrogen (in women) and increased anabolic resistance/insulin resistance (which happens in men as well) leads to a loss of lean mass as we age, particularly during menopause.

2. To make up for the loss of muscle, the body craves more protein.

3. If we don't change what we eat, we consume more food to get the required protein and gain weight.

4. Activity levels often also decrease as we age, so we require less food.

5. To mitigate menopausal weight gain, we need to increase protein % a little by dialling back energy from fat and carbs.

6. Being more active is helpful. But if you're not able to exercise, you may need to dial up protein % a little more.

Most people think it's the young bros that need more protein. However, we often see older women with the highest protein % thriving in our programs.

Low carb vs low fat doesn’t really matter so long as protein is adequate. https://optimisingnutrition.com/low-carb-vs-low-fat/

Liberal low carb + high protein, worked for me at 71!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/succeede...-higher-satiety

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Sep-26-22 at 04:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-22, 05:30

Great podcast by Vanessa Spina, the Optimal Protein podcast, with an overview and analysis of this study. She picks out the important information that women (and older men) can use to lose weight after 50. The info on this study starts at Minute 14.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000581067758

Also good this week, Dr Peter Attia's interview with Prof. Don Layman.

#224 ‒ Dietary protein: amount needed, ideal timing, quality, and more | Don Layman, Ph.D.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000580634753
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-22, 02:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Great stuff! Thanks.

Reminds me when I was going through the Menopause from Hell and every single crap site on the subject told me I should go vegetarian.

Which gave me the early impression, confirmed by later events, that "conventional wisdom" was going to be utterly useless to me.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-22, 04:17

Marty Kendall"s analysis of menopausal weight changes, reasons for decrease in bone density, changes in mood, and how to manage with increased nutrient density, plus much more.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/menopausal-weight-gain/

Quote:
Contents
Why Do Women Gain Weight During Menopause?
Protein Leverage
How to Prevent Menopausal Weight Gain
What Are-Higher Protein % Foods and Meals?
How to Identify the Right Balance of Protein vs Fat and Carbs for YOU
The Basics of the Female Hormonal Cycle
What Changes Occur During Menopause?
What Is the Average Weight Gain During Menopause?
Why Am I Gaining Weight So Fast During Menopause?
Andropause in Men
Extended Fasting and Aggressive Dieting
Is Fasting Good for Someone in Menopause?
What Is the Best Form of Exercise to Mitigate Menopausal Weight Gain?
Why Does Bone Density Decrease in Menopause?
How Can I Improve Bone Density Before Menopause?
How Can I Prevent Bone Density Loss in Menopause?
Mood Changes During Menopause
How Do I Prevent or Avoid the Psychological Changes of Menopause?
Where Do I Start?
Summary
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-22, 05:22

A new analysis of Protein Leverage and its impact on obesity and weight loss. This new study and analysis of Protein Leverage and Menopause was added to this update.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/pro...sis/#more-36979

Quote:
To summarise:

As women age, a reduction in estrogen and high follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and increased anabolic resistance and insulin resistance in women lead to a loss of lean mass. While anabolic and insulin resistance occur in men, too, menopause accelerates this process in females.

To compensate for the loss of muscle, our bodies seek more protein by eliciting cravings for more of it.

Activity levels often also decrease as we age, so we require less energy from food.

We consume more food to get the protein we require and gain weight if we don’t change what we eat during this transition.

For more details, see Menopausal Weight Gain: The Problem and Solution Explained

https://optimisingnutrition.com/menopausal-weight-gain/
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-22, 07:01

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Anyone found a remedy for the thinning skin as we age? Just a mere bump causes bruising and or bleeding? My Dr confirmed that there is no underlying cause.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-22, 08:44

Hi Jean, I mentioned the reduction in easy bruising right in my Success Story here. Easy bruising was something that had increased since going "very low carb", plus a reduction in my bone density results, brittle nails, dry skin and hair, A list I described as nagging minor thyroid issues, that are much better now.

Quote:
Why do so few nutritionists actually write about nutrition? Before taking electrolytes, immune boosters or having complex thyroid tests, optimize the intake of foods that provide potassium, magnesium, selenium, iodine, niacin, vitamins A,C,D,K and 30 other nutrients. Reduce the fat in meals to focus more on protein and get enough essential nutrients that may benefit your health conditions, bone strength, reduce easy bruising and not worry over "carb creep" from an extra cup of vegetables, even carrots, tubers and fruit. It took a decade for me to find the solution to my "stall" on low carb; Dr Ted Naiman's P:E Diet and Marty Kendall's Optimising Nutrition. All 11 nutrients that benefit thyroid function, and the nutrients to improve other common disorders, are in MartyKendall's article "What is Nutrient Density? https://optimisingnutrition.com/nut...101/#more-12093

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484995

I do not think there was one particular vitamin or mineral that helped. When focused on Nutrient Density you get everything needed with real food; high protein and high satiety comes with more calcium, more VitC, bioflavonoids and micronutrients from vegetables and 34 nutrients we track work for many issues.

The comments following my success story and the DietDoctor version have detailed food lists: https://www.dietdoctor.com/succeede...-higher-satiety

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Oct-23-22 at 10:02.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-22, 07:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

I do not think there was one particular vitamin or mineral that helped. When focused on Nutrient Density you get everything needed with real food; high protein and high satiety comes with more calcium, more VitC, bioflavonoids and micronutrients from vegetables and 34 nutrients we track work for many issues.

Excellent point. It's funny how we (me in particular) tend to dive into things and become almost OCD in the beginning going purely by the book. My low-carb/keto journey is a perfect example of that. Thinking back, the approach I used was important to transition from a WOE that had become very unhealthy at the time despite following conventional guidelines as to what constituted healthy eating. It was important for me to attack low carb in a way that enabled me to eat very consistently during the first 6 months to a year proving that it worked and I felt better from that transition. Over the many years as I've learned more, my eating has become much more diverse by increasing variety like vegetables, berries and yogurt that I didn't eat in the beginning. My success came from taking a very disciplined approach, achieving results, and increasing incentive to continue.

After a few years, I had enough information to understand where I could include healthy deviations in my WOE based on my metabolic response and the foods that were most beneficial. Low carb, Keto, TRE, Protein Leveraging, Naiman, Kendall, Bikman, Patrick, and many others now influence how I eat. Keto at the time was a breakthrough for me, as I learned it with a blood ketone meter and quickly realized I didn't need to eat fat for fat's sake, that increased protein didn't have an adverse effect, and it had excellent results for me in combination with the other approaches. It truly is a journey of discovery and learning.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-22, 09:21

Hey Rob,
We missed you here and at Optimising Nutrition. Hope that you had a relaxing summer, spending your retirement catching "the big one", (without resorting to adding weights!)

It took me a long time to release all the low carb dogma and be open to the nuances of sustainable weight loss and good health. In the last 2 years + it became clear that the Carbohydrate-Insulin Model had serious flaws after initial weight loss. When even DietDoctor is open to new strategies, it is more obvious that keto days are numbered.

Another good ON article in the recent series about Protein Leverage:

The Carb-Insulin Model vs Protein Leverage Hypothesis

https://optimisingnutrition.com/car...otein-leverage/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/carbs-in...l-dead-or-alive
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-22, 05:37

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Thank you Jey. I found that I could not lose the last few pounds eating high fat and actually became so nauseated I was forced to lower the fat. I was happy at 125ish, at barely 5'2. I now struggle to stay under 130, abd always gain in the belly. However I need to add more veggies and be consistent with higher protein. 😊
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-22, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM
Thank you Jey. I found that I could not lose the last few pounds eating high fat and actually became so nauseated I was forced to lower the fat. I was happy at 125ish, at barely 5'2. I now struggle to stay under 130, abd always gain in the belly. However I need to add more veggies and be consistent with higher protein. 😊

Yup..and when you do that, you will feel more satiety and eat less fat.

To quote Ted Naiman, "If your fat loss on Keto stalled, there is only one explanation….you are eating too much fat"
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-22, 12:10

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

And you don't have to go back to dry plain skinless chicken breasts or fish or egg white omelettes, just use less added fat. I found I could use less fat or none in some things like steamed vegs with whole eggs + extra whites scrambled in, where previously I would have added butter out of habit and keto "permission", not because the dish needed any. Steamed asparagus and brussel sprouts naturally taste buttery without the butter - who knew? It is the salt that makes them tastier.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-23, 05:52

I was searching around DietDoctor yesterday and noticed that they updated their guide on Menopause with this Paper and linked Marty Kendall's blog post and his tips to combat menopause weight gain.

Weight gain and menopause: 8 tips to win the battle of the middle-age bulge

https://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-loss/menopause