Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 10:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default SPAM! (the edible kind, LOL)

Hmmm, I'm sure many of you in the US, and other countries too, are seeing crazy scenes at supermarkets and other stores as people are stocking up on essentials (and non-essentials to boot, I hear candy aisles are depleted in some stores), trying to prepare for a possible lockdown, or even just self-isolation, due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

I know that as one of the people in the high-risk group (over 60, several autoimmune issues), and knowing there have been several *confirmed* cases in my county (meaning probably lots of unconfirmed cases) I am a little concerned.

All my FB friends are posting photos of bare supermarket shelves. Lists of non-perishable and longer lasting things to buy, like rice, dried beans, potatoes, etc, are not the sort of things most folks here would buy. I do have meat in my freezer but my freezer is not very big.

Anyway, one FB friend posted that there was a big run on SPAM and her local store could not keep it in stock!

Did any others of you grow up with this Mystery Meat? I know it's not actually recommended in these quarters but there is a local restaurant near me that is a Southern-Hawaiian fusion style restaurant, and one of their classic sides is fried Spam. I don't go there often but whenever I do I always have the fried Spam since it's a Hawaiian classic and I figure 3-4 times a year is not likely to kill me.

But funny to hear stores are running out. Of course it's canned so has a long shelf life. Funnily enough I went to Costco early in March, before all this frenzy started. However I was actually thinking that it might come to this so decided I'd be proactive and buy a bunch of stuff. I stocked up on toilet paper, paper towels, some meats I could squeeze into my small freezer, canned tuna, even some canned green beans if I get desperate! But I actually saw the Spam while I was there and for a minute or so actually contemplated buying it.

I didn't however. But if I run out of fresh meat and still don't feel I can go to the supermarket? I have lots of cans of tuna, sardines, smoked oysters. But I might get sick of fishy things. Maybe Spam would have been a welcome change!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 11:00

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

I love Spam! I bought a couple of cans last week - wish I'd gotten more. I buy the low sodium kind, just because the regular tastes way too salty for me.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 11:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
I love Spam! I bought a couple of cans last week - wish I'd gotten more. I buy the low sodium kind, just because the regular tastes way too salty for me.
The low sodium kind was what they had at Costco too. Now I'm actually sorry I didn't buy it. Too late now!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 11:54

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I don't care fore Spam.

It's not mystery meat but a way to process and sell the shoulder meat of the hog. (Or so I've read.) It's probably as healthy as any other canned/processed meat.

Bob
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 12:45

BF:

Well no, the "mystery meat" was just a joke. But I did used to serve this occasionally when my son was a kid because it was something he would actually eat, and one can was just the right amount for the both of us.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 12:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Spam is an interesting canned meat and in Hawaii it is literally on every menu. It's available in every flavor you can imagine. The sushi bars make sushi rolls with it. It's served with eggs for breakfast.
Their web-site has a 100 receipts besides just eating it out of a can.
https://www.spam.com/recipes
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 13:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Spam is an interesting canned meat and in Hawaii it is literally on every menu. It's available in every flavor you can imagine. The sushi bars make sushi rolls with it. It's served with eggs for breakfast.
Their web-site has a 100 receipts besides just eating it out of a can.
https://www.spam.com/recipes
I had no idea about the different flavors, but if you search on "spam" at Amazon I see a bunch of different flavors come up, even turkey Spam. You can even get a "Spam lover's sampler" of 12 cans of different flavors. Pretty pricey though I'm not THAT much of a Spam lover.

And for off-the-wall things you can even get Spam earrings. LOL And for a real Hawaiian twist you can get Spam-flavored macadamia nuts!

And if you have KIndle Unlimited (which I do) you can read a cookbook of Spam recipes for free.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 07:41

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't care for Spam, but I usually have a 3-6 month supply of necessities - I've been doing that for the last 20 years or so. We live in the boonies & can get stuck at home due to weather - tho the longest so far has been just short of a week. I'm so grateful for shelf-stable milk - husband drinks the dairy & I have coconut milk.

I was at WalMart Saturday evening to pick up a few things I needed to try out a new recipe & didn't think to buy a jar of peanut butter. This morning I read that PB is another thing people are going crazy for.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 10:48

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

My 17 year old daughter is obsessed with it after her grandmother introduced it to her. Her grandmother is super healthy eating focused so it surprised me she would be the one to introduce it to her.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 11:06

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I always take a Costco-size pack of SPAM up to Canada in the summer. Three months off-grid (more or less), I can be sure of protein on hand. DH makes a joke of it, and I get to eat it all.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 12:00

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I always take a Costco-size pack of SPAM up to Canada in the summer. Three months off-grid (more or less), I can be sure of protein on hand. DH makes a joke of it, and I get to eat it all.

I do the same with tuna & sardines. A can of sardines easily fits in my purse.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 12:04

BF:

I like cans of sardines and smoked oysters. I usually get the Trader Joe's brand packed in olive oil. But recently I tried a new brand called Bar Harbor. It was NASTY. Looked like poop in a can and tasted almost as bad. Gagged down a few bites and then gave the rest to my cats, but even the cats won't eat it. Flicked a few bits out of the bowl and just left it all over the floor.

I wish now I'd bought that Costco case of Spam.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 13:17

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Gagged down a few bites and then gave the rest to my cats, but even the cats won't eat it. Flicked a few bits out of the bowl and just left it all over the floor.

I had the same reaction from my dog with the EPIC meat bars. When I opened it, it looked strange and after forcing down a couple of bites and realizing that it tasted worse than dog food I offered it to my St. Bernard and he took a couple of sniffs and walked away. Even he wouldn't eat it and he eats everything!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 14:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

My kids like SPAM for scout camp outs. Lots of calories and easy to fry. Not a product we otherwise buy.

Good to know to skip the Bar Harbor brands.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 02:02

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

SPAM was a staple in Britsh working-class diets when I was growing up in the 50s/60s. It was kind of OK, tastewise. I never really thought much about what was in it. I am building up a small pile of canned wild red salmon.