Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 01:59

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%
Default Any serious hikers around?

I'm not really in this category yet, but I'm walking more and more, any chance I get. The point of it is to get in shape for a week-long hiking trip in Provence at the start of july. I'm going to be hiking with a group of strangers (not strangers for long, hopefully) of unknown fitness level, and the information about difficulty level I've got is a bit contradictory, so I'm keen to get in as good walking shape as possible before I fly to France!

Anyone else walking a lot? Stories to share, experience with walking on LC, or fasting, and whether it helped you lose weight? That's not my focus this trip, mostly I want to work on my French! And get to see the Maritime Alps. I'd also love tips on how you've overcome difficulties/snags and what equipment you've found useful for a longer trip. We'll have access to our luggage at the shelters for all but one day, so I'm now obsessing over what to put in my daysack to cover all eventualities!

I'm hiking in the woods near my home to prepare, I've done a couple of trips of 17 and 18-19 km lately. I'm walking any chance I get, but lately I've had to work weekends, so it's a bit hard to get a chance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 03:16

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Back when I lost 60 lbs in '04, I was walking FAST with weights on my arms and legs...45 minutes a day unless I had a long work day. I was also working out at a gym. I do think it helped.

I used to live in Colorado and climbed a few mountains. I know from that, that it is important to do leg presses and squats to prepare!

Have fun and train!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 211/179/175 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Walk with a weighted pack if you can, preferably up a few hills. Don't push so hard that you wear yourself out before the trip even starts and, whatever you do, take a few days off before your trip for recovery.

On a trip like this, the problems you're likely to encounter won't be directly related to fitness. Blisters, for example, or some kind of injury. So, pack a good first-aid kit. A few chemical cold packs wouldn't hurt, if you need to apply cold to a sore knee, ankle, etc. You can push through fatigue or just take more frequent rest breaks, but a blister you can't treat or a sprained ankle will ruin your trip in very short order.

As the trip wears on and you become more fatigued, you'll have to focus more on your walking. When your feet start landing in places you don't intend, time to take a break. Walk mindfully!

Last edited by Sam Knox : Mon, Jun-04-12 at 18:47.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: Winging it with IF
Stats: 392/267/185 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 60%

I have a serious interest in hiking, but I don't get to do it that often. Most recent excursion was in some hills on an old stagecoach road near an abandoned mine in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. I walk quite a lot: on a good day, seven miles....four in the morning, three in the evening. I don't feel right in the mornings until I've gotten out there!

I started walking in September, which was when I began thinking seriously about my diet. I had been diagnosed with high blood pressure, and I didn't want to be on pills for the rest of my life so I decided to take action. I changed my diet to avoid salty foods and began walking every day. I started losing on average 4 pounds a week, which staggered me. So I started counting calories. A few months in I'd lost 100 pounds, but I couldn't establish a relationship between calories and weight loss/gain, or exercise. That's what led me to low carbs, when I realized my low-salt diet was also a LOT lower in carbs. I ditched processed foods for fresh.

Even if it doesn't play a large role in weight loss, exercise IS good for your health. I rather like my new legs: my physical strength has grown. I also like getting out there -- meeting my neighbors, experiencing the seasons change on a daily basis, the fact that I can walk to town and back and not rely on a car, that sort of thing.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-12, 00:30

Thank you so much for your replies! Yeah, I'm planning my first-aid and "foot maintenance" stuff (Clippers, nail file, cold cream). I'm going to bring more blister-plasters than I think I'll need, definitely, and stuff like extra shoelaces and duct tape!

I think the actual exertion won't be that high, it's a themed trip called the Mercantour Panoramic, so we'll be seeing a lot of sights! For one thing, there's a valley, Vallée des Merveilles, where there are about 40000 ancient stone carvings. On the rocks that is, not statues. I imagine that day will be lighter on the distance!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 06:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/128/128 Male 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Me and my father love to hike! My dad has completed all the 4000 footers and above in New England (which is 67). I personally haven't gotten that far, though one day I would like too!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-12, 03:21
Registered Member

Plan: varies - experimenting...
Stats: 248/194/185 Male 6 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

I did a quick google image search for "Vallée des Merveilles" - looks amazing... hope you have a great trip...
Since you'll be walking a lot on consecutive days, I would consider not pushing the low-carb philosophy too hard. My experience is with with mountain biking not hiking - but if I strictly low-carb then I don't recover from day to day as fast. This is especially problematic when I'm going with a group and have to keep up without taking so many breaks.
This may not be a problem for you if the group you're hiking with is taking it easy and not pushing too hard.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 00:16

I'm back, and I had a great trip! I already thought it would be hard before I left, even though I had been walking a bit to prepare, and I was right. It was serious stuff! I'd mostly been walking on level-ish terrain, not a great deal of up or down. The first day we ascended about a kilometer. And then walked back down 550 m to get to our mountain shelter. The view from our first lunch picnic at 2500 meters was amazing.

Some of the days were less strenuous, some were even more (!). If I'd known in advance how bloody hard the ascent to Pas de Ladres, Vallée des Merveilles or Col de Mont Colomb were, I might have reconsidered my vacation plans! But, I did it, and I stayed mostly low carb. Some days it was harder to get going in the mornings than other days. On day three I seriously doubted I could even keep up. But, I did and I usually didn't even walk last in the group!

I learned a lot about hiking, too, (and gained a lot of confidence in speaking French) and I'm going to be doing much more of it!

Last edited by Equinox : Tue, Jul-17-12 at 14:31.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 211/179/175 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Welcome back!

Glad you had a good time. I'm hoping to get in a little backpacking this summer, as well.