Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-09, 18:27
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%
Default Long-term Effects of a Very Low-Carbohydrate Diet and a Low-Fat Diet on Mood and Cogn

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19901139

Long-term Effects of a Very Low-Carbohydrate Diet and a Low-Fat Diet on Mood and Cognitive Function
Grant D. Brinkworth, PhD; Jonathan D. Buckley, PhD; Manny Noakes, PhD; Peter M. Clifton, PhD; Carlene J. Wilson, PhD

Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(20):1873-1880.

Background Very low-carbohydrate (LC) diets are often used to promote weight loss, but the long-term effects on psychological function remain unknown.

Methods A total of 106 overweight and obese participants (mean [SE] age, 50.0 [0.8] years; mean [SE] body mass index [calculated as weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared], 33.7 [0.4]) were randomly assigned either to an energy-restricted (approximately 1433-1672 kcal [to convert to kilojoules, multiply by 4.186]), planned isocaloric, very low-carbohydrate, high-fat (LC) diet or to a high-carbohydrate, low-fat (LF) diet for 1 year. Changes in body weight, psychological mood and well-being (Profile of Mood States, Beck Depression Inventory, and Spielberger State Anxiety Inventory scores), and cognitive functioning (working memory and speed of processing) were assessed.

Results By 1 year, the overall mean (SE) weight loss was 13.7 (1.8) kg, with no significant difference between groups (P = .26). Over the course of the study, there were significant time x diet interactions for Spielberger State Anxiety Inventory, Beck Depression Inventory, and Profile of Mood States scores for total mood disturbance, anger-hostility, confusion-bewilderment, and depression-dejection (P < .05) as a result of greater improvements in these psychological mood states for the LF diet compared with the LC diet. Working memory improved by 1 year (P < .001 for time), but speed of processing remained largely unchanged, with no effect of diet composition on either cognitive domain.

Conclusions Over 1 year, there was a favorable effect of an energy-restricted LF diet compared with an isocaloric LC diet on mood state and affect in overweight and obese individuals. Both diets had similar effects on working memory and speed of processing.

Trial Registration anzctr.org.au Identifier: 12606000203550

Author Affiliations: Preventative Health National Research Flagship, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation–Food and Nutritional Sciences (Drs Brinkworth, Noakes, Clifton, and Wilson), Nutritional Physiology Research Centre, Samson Institute for Health Research, University of South Australia (Dr Buckley), and Flinders Centre for Cancer Prevention and Control, School of Medicine, Flinders University (Dr Wilson), Adelaide, Australia.

RELATED ARTICLE

In This Issue of Archives of Internal Medicine
Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(20):1828.
FULL TEXT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about this?
E

Last edited by Rosebud : Fri, Jun-29-12 at 20:33. Reason: To add the link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-09, 18:53

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am not surpised they were angry if they did a low-cal low carb diet. They missed out on all the good bits.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-09, 19:00

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Ha ha. I read the article and thought that too. They limited sat fats to 20% (of fats? energy?)

Also at the end the researchers wrote that the mood of both groups was "well within normal ranges." Watch the media report it as if the LC people turned into a combination of Cruella deVille and old Clint Eastwood on a bad day. LOL
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 01:59
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I just saw on our local news that the "A" in Atkins stands for angry while the news anchor chimed in "I need my carbs, gotta have em" she said with a smile.

If my feet looked like this I would be mad too Eddy:

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/lif...91110-i622.html
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 08:21

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I just saw on our local news that the "A" in Atkins stands for angry while the news anchor chimed in "I need my carbs, gotta have em" she said with a smile.

If my feet looked like this I would be mad too Eddy:

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/lif...91110-i622.html

What is UP with those nasty feet???? They are Man feet w/ yucky polish!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 08:34
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didy
What is UP with those nasty feet???? They are Man feet w/ yucky polish!
Must be a down under thing? I just saw it announced on ABC's GMA and the anchor was laughing with an "I told you so" attitude. The actual ABC article wasn't bad if the whole thing is read, but the headlines are misleading:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/w_Diet...tory?id=9036928
Quote:
"I've been following people for years on my [low-carb] forum [and] people often report improvement in mood to me."

By randomly assigning participants to the same, restricted amount of carbohydrates and restricting caloric intake, she says the study was "automatically not a standard low-carb diet.

"What makes it work well for people in the long term is that they are allowed to follow the natural amount of food their bodies need" and adjust the level of carbohydrate as needed." -- Laura Dolson
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 09:37
Carpe Diem

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/260/185 Male 70
BF:42/33.7/25
Progress: 40%

For a full report, not an abstract, go to:

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/co...ull/169/20/1873

1. The total participants, 65, were 32 LC and 33 LF.
2. All of the participants were within the normal range at conclusion.
3. The major sponsors of the study were large Australian food companies.
4. The mood indicators were not measured against a control group.

You can write any headline you want after wading through the report. How about:"Study shows that those on Low Carbohydrate Diets stay within Normal Mood Range."
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 265/223.7/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I just can't read this stuff...THIS is what makes me angry!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/1...eref=rss_health

Nice that they brought up (at the end) that the group that started out LC also had twice as many participants on antidepressants at the beginning of the study.

This is science? This is unbiased journalism?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 14:08

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I just saw on our local news that the "A" in Atkins stands for angry...

No, the "A" in Atkins stands for Atkins.

Quote:
...while the news anchor chimed in "I need my carbs, gotta have em" she said with a smile.

When I was a vegan, people would always say to me, "I couldn't give up my steak" - with a smile. Now they all say, "I couldn't give up my carbs" - with a smile.

I've never understood why they feel the need to offer this information. I didn't ask them to give up anything.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 20:02

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

A high protein diet is so bad for people. I wonder what effect rabbit starvation has on people and their moods -- it can't be good.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-09, 09:11

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I know a lack of good fats makes me cranky. So does stupidity masquerading as science and journalism.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 03:24

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default I saw this on the news

I knew someone would post something about it here. In my experience the opposite is true. My mood is much improved. I am still sick probably for the rest of my life, but instead of being cranky I am mellowed out. I wish I could say that this diet cured my chronic fatigue symptoms, but at least I am not always on the verge of tears from the constant pain and fatigue. So, I would think almost any healthy person would actually be estatic on with this WOE. I already suspected the study was suspect and I was right. They messed with the formula and didn't let the low carb group eat as much as they needed and the headline was very misleading even with all the problems with the study the low carb group wasn't really angrier than when they started, but doing low carb the wrong way did seem to take it's toll. On the plus side at least they showed both groups lost about the same amount of weight and had similar cognitive function.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 06:51

Plan: no wheat, art. swtnr
Stats: 276/173/145 Female 62
BF:HOT HOT HOT
Progress: 79%

I think a better litmus test would be to visit different diet forums and do a "snark" test. LC forums can be bad, but the low fat/low cal forums can be crazy. A bunch of cranky, hungry, unsatisfied fat folks who would do well to eat some nuts or something.

I'm a pretty outgoing kinda girl but I was scared to post questions on the Weight Watchers forum. lol Those peeps are sharks when they smell newbie blood in the water.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 09:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
In the morning after an overnight fast, body weight (calibrated
scales, model AMZ14; Mercury Digital Scales, Tokyo,
Japan) and mood were measured at baseline and at weeks 8,
24, 40, and 52. Mood was assessed using 3 validated questionnaires:
(1) the POMS,25 which measures 6 separate aspects of
mood, including tension-anxiety, depression-dejection, angerhostility,
vigor-activity, fatigue-inertia, and confusionbewilderment,
and provides a global score of mood disturbance
(total mood disturbance score [TMDS]) that is determined
by subtracting the vigor-activity score from the sum of the 5
negative mood factors; (2) the Beck Depression Inventory
(BDI)26; and (3) the Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory
(SAI).27 These instruments were administered using time referencing
to frame the responses to the following question: “How
have you felt over the past week, including today?” Cognitive
function was also assessed at baseline and at weeks 8 and 52
using 2 computer-based tests: digit span backward (DSB)28 and
inspection time,29 which assess working memory and speed of
processing, respectively, and have been described previously
in detail.13

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/169/20/1873

That links the full study again. The mood questionnaires were administered in the fasted state. Same thing with the memory tests. I wonder what the results would have been at three in the afternoon?

So what happens in maintenance, on these same diets? The "low fat" diet was 30 percent fat, 24 percent protein, 46 percent carb. Is this really different enough from SAD, if calories aren't restricted, that these people could expect continued benefits during maintenance?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 09:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Summary 1. High-fat diets, modify the neuroendocrine response and, when prolonged, result in positive energy balance and obesity. Little is known about the effects of fat on the mechanisms operating in the initial steps of the neural and endocrine disturbances.
2. The studies reported here were designed to access the impact of the consumption of a single exclusively animal fat meal (lard), 24 h following its ingestion a) on the response of the hypothalamic serotonergic system to a standard laboratory chow meal and b) on the circulating levels of glucose, insulin, and leptin. The release of serotonin in the extracellular medial hypothalamic space (including the paraventricular-PVN and ventromedian-VMH nuclei) was determined using electrochemical detection following HPLC in samples obtained in vivo by microdialysis, in nonanesthetized adult male Wistar rats.
3. A lard meal resulted in decreased hypothalamic serotonin release postprandially and attenuated (24 h later) the hypothalamic serotonin response that normally follows a balanced meal.
4. In permanently catheterized rats, postprandial glucose and insulin levels measured in samples obtained in vivo, were either not, or only slightly, modified after a lard meal, whereas plasma leptin levels were increased. Interestingly, 24 h after a meal, insulin and leptin levels were increased in those animals eating a fat meal compared with those eating chow. Next-day glucose levels remained identical after the absorption either of a chow, or a lard meal.
5. The changes induced by the fat meal on peripheral and central regulators of energy and glucose homeostasis represent either adaptive mechanisms or early alterations that could render the organism vulnerable to further insults.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/7274404875001025/

What does an early morning liver glycogen-dump do to serotonin levels? Is the early morning fasted state the same state in people on a high carb diet as it is in people on Atkins? People on Atkins might both dump less glucose into the bloodstream every morning, and have an altered serotonin response to that glucose.

Interesting on the leptin front; we're told that dietary fat will suppress lipolysis in body fat. Suppressing lipolysis seems to increase leptin levels.

Feeding pure lard actually increased leptin in this study. Maybe you don't have to pound back the glucose to do a leptin refeed.
Leptin resistance becomes simply a normal response to a lack of lipolysis in this scenario.