Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 15:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question ling cod

hi Karen,

I've ordered some wild-caught flash-frozen ling cod fillets, should arrive next week along with other organic goodies Hopefully they're individually frozen, or I'm in big trouble (I ordered 5 lbs!)

I've never had ling cod before, but I understand it's similar to halibut, at least in flavour. Can I just substitute it in recipes for halibut, or does it require different cooking? Is it dry, need added fat or sauce ... or??

Help.

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 02:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's a very lean fish so be careful of overcooking it. It has nice, big flakes like halibut, and you can use it in halibut recipes.

One of my favourite ways of serving it is wrapping it with bacon and searing it until the bacon starts to cook. Finish the cooking by baking it in the oven.

Quote:
Hopefully they're individually frozen, or I'm in big trouble (I ordered 5 lbs!)
That could be a problem!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 10:49
Forum Founder

BF:

That sounds great, thanks Karen Yummm .. Ling Cod with Pine Nut and Parmesan Crust

I double-checked, and yes they're individually frozen. Phew!

My last 2 orders I've had red salmon, which I love .. but looking forward to a change.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 17:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/145 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
hi Karen,

I've ordered some wild-caught flash-frozen ling cod fillets, should arrive next week along with other organic goodies Hopefully they're individually frozen, or I'm in big trouble (I ordered 5 lbs!)

I've never had ling cod before, but I understand it's similar to halibut, at least in flavour. Can I just substitute it in recipes for halibut, or does it require different cooking? Is it dry, need added fat or sauce ... or??

Help.

Doreen

oh, i have been caught in this dilemna before...what to do with a 10 lb flash frozen salmon when you only need 2 lbs for that night...i resorted to putting it on my condo floor, and sawing at it with a hacksaw while holding it with a dish towel. there must be a better way....help!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 18:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Find a sympathetic butcher and get him/her to run it through their band saw. This also works great for cutting up a turkey.

Colin
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 18:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/145 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinjn
Find a sympathetic butcher and get him/her to run it through their band saw. This also works great for cutting up a turkey.

Colin

i will try this, thank you!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 14:00
Forum Founder

BF:

hi Karen and everybody!

The ling cod arrived this week (shipping delay ). It's separated into 1 lb vacuum-sealed pouches, but whacking on the edge of the counter separates the fillets, so it's easy to just take out one or two as needed.

My first taste was just simply pan-fried in a little olive oil and unsalted butter, then served with sprigs of fresh dill, pinch of sea salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon jce. Fabulous!!! It has the nice white colour and large-flake texture of halibut, but a milder sweeter flavour, more similar to perch.

I'm in love with it , and glad I got 5 lbs!!!! It's wayyy cheaper than halibut too!

I'm dying to use it in Karen's recipe for Halibut with Pine Nut and Parmesan Crust .. but it's so-o-oooo hot and humid right now ... having the oven on is NOT an option!

I'm trying to think of a way to emulate that recipe for a top-of-the-stove method. I was thinking maybe to use dry grated parmesan mixed with seasonings; then dip the fillets in some beaten egg before coating with seasoned dry parmesan, then pan-frying in olive oil. Also .. keep the pine nuts out .. just toast them separately and then sprinkle over the cooked fillets before serving.

??? any other suggestions???

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 20:13
Forum Founder

BF:

I'm eating a salad with Italian sausage and prawns right now, and remembering a top of the stove dish I used to make with sablefish and sausage. It was simmered in a light, thin, tomato sauce.

What about trying that? You could still sprinkle it with Parmesan cheese.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 09:41
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
...... remembering a top of the stove dish I used to make with sablefish and sausage. It was simmered in a light, thin, tomato sauce.

I recall a recipe from my old WW days (old as in .. late 70's/early 80's WW was higher protein, lower carb than now) ... Called for diced fresh tomatoes (or canned diced) simmered with chicken broth and lemon jce, chopped onion, fresh parsley, a dash or three cayenne, chopped black olives .. or was it capers?? .. whatever ... Chunks of fish were added after the sauce had simmered for a bit, cooked briefly till done and served with .. gasp! .. rice. Of course, cauli-rice would be perfectamundo!!

This probably isn't what you had in mind though

Do
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 10:09
Forum Founder

BF:

Sure it is!

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 12:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Funny; I just swung in to sing the praises of Karen's halibut and lemon basil vinaigrette. It's my "fish standby" now. I've done it with tilapia and pollock. I'm sure it would be just as good on fish cooked any way - oven not required.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 12:20
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
...Karen's halibut and lemon basil vinaigrette. ....

Mmmmm, lemon & basil ...

Thanks for the suggestion Kristine Dinner tonight will be .. ling cod (lingcod?) and asparagus drizzled w. a lemony-basil vinaigrette, and sliced tomatoes. Simple .. and yummy!

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 13:56

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Doreen, I'm curious as to where you ordered the cod from? Sounds yummy!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 15:40
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanyyy
Doreen, I'm curious as to where you ordered the cod from? Sounds yummy!

Jean, I buy it from NutraFarms, which is a Canadian organic foods co-op for small family-run operations. To the best of my knowledge, they currently distribute mainly in Ontario .. but I just checked the website and they seem to now be available nation-wide. ?? Not sure. *Just to note* .. I don't work for them, nor am I a distributor! I just think the products and prices are great .. definitely cheaper than buying organic meats and other goods at retail stores. If anyone is interested, you can email them, or there's a 1-888 phone # on the website, and they'll give you a list of local distributors so you can make your own preference. I *think* they also will deliver straight to you if your order is over a certain amount. What I like is that there's no "minimum" order, so it's great for singles/couples. And another shameless plug ... they also sell environment-friendly household products too.

Specifically about ling cod (lingcod) .. what I was able to Google is that it's an ocean fish native to the Pacific northwest from California to Alaska, it's popular with sport-fishers and is available year round. It's not a true cod, but rather it's a species of greenling (as if that means anything to me ) Its other names are: cultus cod, blue cod, buffalo cod, green cod.

I have a hunch you'd be able to find it in BC at a fresh fish monger's shop, rather than a regular grocery .

As for me, I'll definitely order it again. It's delicious, and not too expensive!!

Not exactly the prettiest fish in the sea, is it?

Doreen