Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-21, 05:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Dr. Cate and cholesterol: a series

In Dr. Cat's three article series on Cholesterol: What the American Heart Association is Hiding from You, she creates an excellent resource for educating others. And I even learned some new things.

Quote:
The American Heart Association has been in the fake news business for decades. This means everything your doctors learned about heart attacks, strokes, LDL and HDL cholesterol, and nutrition is wrong. In fact, the nutrition advice coming from our most trusted institutions couldn’t be better designed to make you sick.

This article is the first in a series intended to shed light on a dark chapter of American history that few people know about: the story of how we as a nation became convinced that cholesterol is unhealthy, and the consequences of that belief. I will share with you what I discovered about the real cause of heart attacks and strokes, and how I became convinced that cholesterol is not bad, and the AHA is not good. I hope these insights put unnecessary fears to rest and empower you to change your life for the better.

Part 1

Scam then, scam now.

Quote:
When your primary care doctor recommends cutting out foods like butter and eggs in favor of Smart Balance and egg beaters, or your naturopathic doctor tells you cow’s milk is unhealthy because of saturated fat and you’d be better off with rice milk, when your trainer tells you to eat skinless boneless chicken breast and protein powders, when your McDonald’s fries are soaked in seed oils instead of crisped with beef tallow like when I was a kid, and your take-out pizza is made with soy oil instead of olive oil, it’s important to realize that all these recommended changes are taking the freshness and realness of your diet down a notch or two—and some of these newer alternatives are outright toxic.

Nobody would want these lower-quality processed foods were it not for the idea that saturated fat and cholesterol clog your arteries. This idea has made us afraid of the very foods our bodies need the most, and it’s enabled the processed food industry to thrive as never before. The saturated fat lie helped to create a demand for alternative fats that come from soy, corn, and other subsidized monoculture crops soaked in pesticides and herbicides, destroying the soil and with it our ability to live sustainably off the land.

Part 2

The villain: you can guess.

Quote:
In my view, the fact that Ancel Keys included cigarettes in his military meal (the K-Ration, K for Keys) combined with the fact that he had a massive ego and his infamous 6 countries study makes him literally the poster child* of dishonest nutrition scientists, lead me to believe that simple confirmation bias may have been the issue with a few, but for Keys, it was garden variety, ego-driven fraud. [*Google an image search for “nutrition study scientific fraud” and Key’s six countries data comes up in the top row.]

Part 3

I really enjoyed these articles and appreciate Dr. Cate laying this out so neatly. Bookmarked for future reference so I can be better armed, both online and in person.
Sponsored Links