Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, May-25-01, 02:44

Plan: modified Atkins plan
Stats: 220/188/150
BF:
Progress:
Question Need some advice re diabetic diet

Hi. I am a new member with somewhat of a problem. I have CFS Fibromyalgia and Diabetes. I have not had a lot of luck in losing weight however about a month ago I started a low carb diet ( I used the Atkins plan and modified it slightly as I am not comfortable with eating all the fat and I dont care that much for eggs etc. ) I have lost about 19 pounds and best of all have decreased my insulin requirement from 80 units daily to 10 units at night only. My problem is that my diabetic counsellor is very adamant that I not show any ketones ..she says this diet is eating away at my lean muscle and I must increase my carbs to about 100 grams daily. Well, if I do that up goes my weight and up goes my sugars and up goes my insulin requirement which I am working very hard to get off. I exercise at least an hour a day and am doing well on this plan. In spite of all the evidence to the contrary she is sure I am going to have kidney failure if I stay on this plan even though I told her it was only for a while. My doctor has no problem with it. I don't know what to do and would welcome any suggestions. Has anyone else here had to deal with this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links