Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 01:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%
Default Atkins Friendly Earthquake kit/ ideas? Canned veggies etc?

Ok. I have to admit, this thought was spurred by flipping the channels at 10:30pm and catching the last 1/2 hour of a made for TV 2 part series called 10.5. I live in the Seattle area and have been in several shakers and about 5 years ago got my Ham license along with some disaster training. The only thing is that even though we have an earthquake kit that would cover the whole family, it's really fairly HIGH carb. I know the stress of an earthquake plus a sudden high carb diet would probably really mess with my immune system, which is already rattled by a huge amount of allergies. I want to be prepared for the "Big One" that they say we're overdue for (usually we get a really big one every 20 years) and we're WAY overdue.
Here's my idea's so far... Of course tons of water. Since alot of the stuff I've been eating has been either fresh (needing refrigeration) or frozen I have a real problem with coming up with stuff low in carbs. Maybe canned veggies? I've never heard of canned broccoli or cauliflower, does it exist? Wouldn't it be really mushy? Canned asparagus and green beans maybe if you can find them lowcarb? What other veggies are there that are canned that aren't high carb? Maybe lots of canned tuna and chicken? Is there any value to that canned cheese whiz? How high in carbs is it-anyone know?? Too bad they can't can salads, OH..maybe they have canned spinach. Any other ideas? I know I can always throw Atkins bars and my LC red vines and Reeces for comfort foods (they say it's important to have some comfort foods around after a disaster to help you deal with the stress.) Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Annie who can't sleep now after watching that awful movie.
Sponsored Links