Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 11:22

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 225/162/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I can't get out of this funk I'm in..help!

I've been in a very blue funk for weeks now, and can't seem to get out of it. I wake up every morning determined to be chipper, and upbeat, and by mid AM I wind up back in my old foul mood. I'm losing weight, clothes are hanging on me, but I still feel huge. I want to enjoy the new me, but feel like I've been trying so hard, sacrificing every day, and it just feels like I have so far still to go.

Noone understands. I tell my friends, they say "ditch the diet, it's not making you feel good". I can't. I can't express to anyone how important this is to me, to finally, finally, get rid of the "big girl" in me. I'm tired of ditching photographs, avoiding mirrors, etc. I want so much to be thin, or at least "normal". Sometimes I feel like I eat, breathe, sleep low carb. Like it's the only thing that matters to me right now.

I don't know, I'm really just venting. I'm thrilled that I've lost weight, thrilled that I look better in my clothes, so why can't I be happy?

Maybe it's the weather. We've had 44 inches of snow so far where I live, and it's only January 21st. Cripes, we've got 3 more months of this crud.

Anyway, thanks for listening. This site is so helpful, I spend all day here, reading old threads, getting hints and inspiration from others. It's truly my safe haven right now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 11:50

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Do you take vitamins; B-12, D-3??

Are you eating enough calories to maintain normal brain function?

... ie. at a body weight of 188 and desiring weight loss to 160, your daily caloric intake on a low carb diet should be somewhere around 1800-2000 calories..........

having the blahs is BLAH... Life is too short to lose a day feeling that way, so find the solution as quickly as you can and nip it in the bud... The idea is: There is a solution, find it!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 11:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Do you take vitamins; B-12, D-3??

Are you eating enough calories to maintain normal brain function?

... ie. at a body weight of 188 and desiring weight loss to 160, your daily caloric intake on a low carb diet should be somewhere around 1800-2000 calories..........

having the blahs is BLAH... Life is too short to lose a day feeling that way, so find the solution as quickly as you can and nip it in the bud... The idea is: There is a solution, find it!

Well, I'm not eating anywhere near that amount of calories. I'm not eating much, really. I never considered that affecting my brain function. I admit I don't take the vitamins, I try, but I have such a set routine that it's hard to introduce new things to that. I really should. Now that you mention the vitamins, perhaps that is the key. I feel fine, physically, and I do have energy, just can't get out of this blue mood.

I'm going to go check out the pharmacy at lunch and see what I can find.
thank you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 12:03

Plan: LC and almost vegan/IF
Stats: 190/179.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink There is hope

I don't know how you feel about excercise but I for one find when I am feeling blah if I take a short walk (even if it's just around the house a few times) I feel better after about 10 minutes. Leslie Samsone also has a great walking DVD. I know how you feel though I felt like that for years and years. One thing that helped me was quitting smoking. After 4 days I was euphoric. I know it's crazy but it's true, I would have quit 20 years ago if I knew what it was doing to my moods. Don't know if you smoke or not but thought I'd throw that in there just in case. Also if you could find something to laugh about. Look at funny You Tube's or rent a funny movie... anything to get you to laugh. I have been caring for my 6 month old great nephew and wow does that help as well.... nothing like a baby to make me smile. ANyway I don't know if I have helped or harmed but I am here if you want to chat sometime. I know what it's like to be alone and lonely. I am at home all day by myself so it can take a toll. Good luck to you there is hope I promise!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 12:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbar69
I don't know how you feel about excercise but I for one find when I am feeling blah if I take a short walk (even if it's just around the house a few times) I feel better after about 10 minutes. Leslie Samsone also has a great walking DVD. I know how you feel though I felt like that for years and years. One thing that helped me was quitting smoking. After 4 days I was euphoric. I know it's crazy but it's true, I would have quit 20 years ago if I knew what it was doing to my moods. Don't know if you smoke or not but thought I'd throw that in there just in case. Also if you could find something to laugh about. Look at funny You Tube's or rent a funny movie... anything to get you to laugh. I have been caring for my 6 month old great nephew and wow does that help as well.... nothing like a baby to make me smile. ANyway I don't know if I have helped or harmed but I am here if you want to chat sometime. I know what it's like to be alone and lonely. I am at home all day by myself so it can take a toll. Good luck to you there is hope I promise!!!

Thanks, Kimbar. I joined a gym at the end of the year, and I go intermittently. I'm an amateur actor, and I'm in rehearsals 3 nights a week, and work full time, and have an hour commute each way to work. There's just not enough hours in the day, I swear. I joined this particuliar gym because I can come home, feed my cats, change at home, and then go and not have to worry about changing there or showering there. So far I haven't been very much. I really should get there. But it's cold and snowy here, and I come home from work and I do chores, feed the cats, and then just want to put flannels on and veg (the nights I am home..)
I do smoke, and vow to quit as soon as I get rid of these last 20 pounds. I just can't do both right now.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 14:01

Plan: LC and almost vegan/IF
Stats: 190/179.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

wow that's alot packed into a day... i always thought i couldn't quit and truthfully i am surprised i made it this far. my reasons for not was always my weight issues, i finally decided that i have 6 month til i am 40 so no more excuses i want to be healthy in my 40's.

i guess you need to get some vitimans and start eating more then!!! let me know if it helps okay? i am rooting for you!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 14:09

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I take one St., John's Wort per day - I didn't realize how much it was doing for my mood until I ran out. It's nowehere near the dosage most people use, but it helps alot. Also, Vitamin D3 is necessary.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 14:20
Registered Member

Plan: a blend of what works
Stats: 211/198/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Yep, those dead-of-winter blues. Too little sunlight, too much snow, always does it!

Get more sunlight. I agree with the B complex Vitamins. Don't be afraid to ask for an antidepressant. I should have years ago, and just went on one 1 year ago. What was I waiting for?!? I feel so much better!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 04:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:

Hey - I feel so sorry for you feeling so blue. You need to eat well, and enjoy your food so it won't feel like a sacrifice. There are food lists in Dr Atkins book, so why not take his advice, and search out a good fish shop, and surf for a few recipe ideas. Omega 3 oil, found in oily fish, is very important for weight loss and keeping lost weight off. Janine's suggestion of St John's Wort is tops.. Also the vit D - I've started to try to get out in the sunshine on good days - well wrapped up, of course.. As well as vit D, I am hoping that the daylight will boost my seratonin levels, which enhances mood and aids weight loss, Every little helps.

You are doing so well with losing weight.. Just ensure that your diet is adequate, because a diet too low in calories is definitely proven to cause depression. Surf on the net about low calories and depression. Here's something I found:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclo...ow-calorie-diet
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 06:33
For Real This Time

Plan: SB (Sorta Beachy)
Stats: 272/260/165 Female 68 inches (5'8")
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisywench
I've been in a very blue funk for weeks now, and can't seem to get out of it. I wake up every morning determined to be chipper, and upbeat, and by mid AM I wind up back in my old foul mood. I'm losing weight, clothes are hanging on me, but I still feel huge. I want to enjoy the new me, but feel like I've been trying so hard, sacrificing every day, and it just feels like I have so far still to go.

Noone understands. I tell my friends, they say "ditch the diet, it's not making you feel good". I can't. I can't express to anyone how important this is to me, to finally, finally, get rid of the "big girl" in me. I'm tired of ditching photographs, avoiding mirrors, etc. I want so much to be thin, or at least "normal". Sometimes I feel like I eat, breathe, sleep low carb. Like it's the only thing that matters to me right now.

I don't know, I'm really just venting. I'm thrilled that I've lost weight, thrilled that I look better in my clothes, so why can't I be happy?

Maybe it's the weather. We've had 44 inches of snow so far where I live, and it's only January 21st. Cripes, we've got 3 more months of this crud.

Anyway, thanks for listening. This site is so helpful, I spend all day here, reading old threads, getting hints and inspiration from others. It's truly my safe haven right now.

I am SOOOOOO with you right now, it's not even funny. I hate winter - I get like this every year in Jan/Feb. I start to see light at the end of the tunnel in March.

Hang in there with me...Spring is coming...
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 18:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Winter blues. Yup, I've got them and they are recking a royal mess on my life at the moment. It got so bad that I was desperate to feel better. I am taking my welburtrin religiously now,something in the spring and summer months I kind of just coast by, I also went to the dr for another rx to help with anxiety or as the dr says that little voice in my head (and everyones) that cant help but constantly ask or tell yourself neg. thoughts about yourself-you can tell I haven't started it yet by reading my journal. Also, I started taking a vit b and d sup. as well. I was told by members here, at work, and by the dr that vit d can help with the funky feeling. It gets so bad at times the ony way I can feel like I shake it is to take two excedrins every morning, for the energy and "up" feeling, and then again in the afternoon. I feel its cheating, but its caff. and it seems to help. I don't recommend it, but I also have to take something daily for pain and I figure I might as well benifit from the caffine as well.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 06:49

Plan: IF/caveman
Stats: 265/230/170 Female 70 in
BF:
Progress: 37%

I know how u feel as far as the blues-i have been bipolar for 12 years. Though i have found with this diet, my mood swings have improved dramatically, i stil find myself down everyonce in a while. It has currently been snowing here in good ole nebraska for 3 days now, with no signs of stopping(UGGGHHH). I travel for my hospice job so that just makes it way worse. One thing i found that helps me in the winter is hoppin in the tanning bed. The light makes me feel better and i just like to be tan. It makes my stretch marks look better too!.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 08:20

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

"Evidence exists that major depression is associated with low vitamin D levels and that depression has increased in the last century as vitamin D levels have surely fallen. Evidence exists that depression is associated with heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and low bone mineral density, all illnesses thought to be caused, in part, by vitamin D deficiency. Finally, vitamin D has profound effects on the brain including the neurotransmitters involved in major depression"

Vitamin D Council
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 08:32

BF:

Well, I've been taking my multivitamins, and it's really helping. I'm doing much better. Retail therapy has helped as well. It's so much nicer buying clothes that accentuate the weight loss, and not walking around in clothes that hang off me. I get compliments daily, which is a huge mood enhancer, and helps me stay on track.
Thanks everyone, for the well wishes and suggestions. The vitamins are really working!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 10:48

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Good news!