Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 17:06

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%
Default Swedish Fruiterian

Tord Lyseving is 66 years old and has not been sick a single day for 25 years. He claims that he has eaten only fruit since 1984 when a voice in his head told him that he would totally escape all suffering and disease if he ate only fruits.

Aged 66 he has the body of someone much younger and although he doesn't exercise he is able to run many kilometres spontaneously.

He has not suffered any nutritional deficiences because as he says fruits provide you with plenty of micronutrients and few calories.

His favorite fruits are avocado and oranges.

I never have to worry about being sick, being a fruiterian is hard sometimes but the reward is enormous!

I am thin and very healthy, he says.

Article and Photo Here

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Mon, Jun-08-09 at 17:43. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 17:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wonder what this means:
Quote:
The body can be fruitarian to 50% or 75% or whatever, but the important thing is that you are 100% fruitarian in your mind!

http://hem.fyristorg.com/fruitarian/whatEat.html
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 06:41

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

"but the important thing is that you are 100% fruitarian in your mind!"

Well, it's a little like going to church on sunday and saying that you will be kind and gentle to those around you and then driving to work on monday and lashing out at a commuting cyclist, cuz, er, you can, I guess.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 06:48

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

A voice in his head told him?!

Wonder how healthy his mind is...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 07:49

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

You've posted that already in some other thread.

Here is why I think this is poppycock.
Extract from http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t...-t-bio-1a.shtml. This article was written by Tom Billings who was a fruitarian for 8 years.

Quote:
Over and above the eating disorder behaviors so common in fruitarianism, I can now say (in 1997) that in my opinion, the biggest criticism of fruitarianism is that it is dishonest in so many ways:

* Extremists promoting the diet as "ideal" and/or "natural" when it is neither--such claims are based on a false model of nature, and fallacious rhetoric, e.g., "apes are fruitarians," "humans evolved as fruitarians." Meanwhile, in reality, all the great apes deliberately eat some animal foods, because that is their natural diet, and the fossil record provides overwhelming evidence that the evolutionary diet of humans included animal foods.

* The experts/role models who claim to strictly follow the diet (100% raw and 75+% fruit), but who binge-eat, eat in secret, and generally cheat on the diet.

* The extremists who proclaim themselves as perfectly healthy, when they are so emotionally unhealthy that they cannot respond to criticism of their ideal diet in a civil, rational manner. (Unfortunately, I have encountered many such extremists in the past.)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 08:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 446/216/200 Male 73.5 inches
BF:12%
Progress: 93%

I looked at the picture and I am not impressed. He looks his age completely. As for 25 years without sickness? Well when voices in your head are telling you what to do I am guessing you don't do alot of handing out with other people. Most sicknesses that you get come from human/human contact.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 09:09

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I think many vegans and fruitarians must experience benefits from eliminating foods they are intolerant to - dairy, eggs, and in the case of fruitarians, grains and industrial additives. I bet it never occurred to some of them that adding meat to their dairy- and egg- free diet might actually improve their health further. Some of them may have intolerances to particular meats or seafood, but could still benefit from other meats.

After all, fruitarianism can be considered a variation on the Paleo diet!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 09:13

In a limited sense, this applies to breatharians too. You can live a lot longer on nothing at all than you can on sugar, for example.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 09:27

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Not really.

You might benefit from eliminating something you are potentially intolerant to, but you would loose whatever advantage you have gained by adopting a diet that is not only deficient but way too high in carbs.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 12:45

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

i'd love to know what any of this has to do with low-carb. there is no way that a fruitarian diet can be considered low-carb by any stretch of the imagination.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 12:54

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
i'd love to know what any of this has to do with low-carb. there is no way that a fruitarian diet can be considered low-carb by any stretch of the imagination.

My thoughts exactly
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 14:10

Oh, I thought the point was to mock their folly. .

Don't underestimate the value of eliminating sensitivity triggers. Sure, the sugar will kill you in the long term, but you can feel a LOT better for a while. Before I went low-carb, I eliminated gluten and dairy. I was drinking a lot of fruit smoothies, but I was already feeling much better than when I was on gluten.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 14:59

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
He claims that he has eaten only fruit since 1984 when a voice in his head told him that he would totally escape all suffering and disease if he ate only fruits.

Article and Photo Here

Bo

Try and see a good side.
At least the voice in his head hasn't told him to purchase an automatic weapon and climb to the top of a high building.

Well, not so far anyways.....
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 15:25
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

To me, he looks old and thin.
Eh, give me protein and fat!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-09, 07:43

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Tord Lyseving is 66 years old and has not been sick a single day for 25 years. He claims that he has eaten only fruit since 1984 when a voice in his head told him that he would totally escape all suffering and disease if he ate only fruits.

Ahem, voices in his head telling him to do things... I think they have a name for that.

Quote:
He has not suffered any nutritional deficiences because as he says fruits provide you with plenty of micronutrients and few calories.

Even the vegetarians find this guy's claims dodgy, I found a link on a forum at James Randi's (the amazing Randi - paranormal claim debunker) where a Veggie tried corresponding with him in an attempt to ascertain how he was alive in spite of not getting nearly enough protein or essential fatty acids.
Veggie talking to a fruit link here. Anyway, at least he's getting his daily requirement of 280+ grams of carbohydrate every day. Maybe he's basically living off avocado's... theBear mentioned these feral dogs in Australia that seemed to live off the fallen fruit in avocado orchards.

Quote:

Your link's broken... I get a "Sidan kunde inte hittas" (Page not found). The Frutarian Universal Network (FUN - cute eh) doesn't seem to list him amongst the Fruitarian People though another Swede named Tord Åredal apparently runs it.
Maybe they splintered, possibly in a dispute over cucumbers and squash.

Here's a link to his own bio at his site. Get a load of this "He has also refined the technique of Kirlian photography (aurology) and uses it together with Iridology and Cheirology" ... At least he's into real science and medicine

He has a book called "My Path To Freedom" (funny, kinda reminds me of Aajonus Vonderplanitz' "We Want to Live"... they just sound so... earnest).
I'm curious to know if you're planning on trying CRON fruitarianism. I'd advise against it; I'd rather you at least stay healthy enough to keep injecting your counterpoint into these forums. Still, if you are going to try - you'll have to let us know how it works out.

P.S.: His paintings remind me of the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Ray's mother makes a sculpture for them. ,
http://www.lyseving.com/art/gallery.html?pos=1
http://www.lyseving.com/art/gallery.html?pos=3
http://www.lyseving.com/art/gallery.html?pos=4
http://www.lyseving.com/art/gallery.html?pos=5
http://www.lyseving.com/art/gallery.html?pos=23