Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins- 29-08-04
Stats: 194/165/132 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Advant EDGE carb control shake

i've seen these ready-to-drink shakes in my local tesco's for a while now. today they were buy one get one free so thought i'd give them a try..there's only one way i can describe the chocolate shake it's disgusting!!!! and at £1.69 for one shake it's also a complete waste of money.

a couple of weeks ago i came across the lc kit kat in my local chemist and although it was a lot nicer than the shake drink i still wouldn't waste any more money on another.

i've now come to the final decision that i'm better off sticking with "proper" food instead of the manufactured LC "quick fixes"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/168/160 Male 69in
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default which shakes are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by den1003
i've seen these ready-to-drink shakes in my local tesco's for a while now. today they were buy one get one free so thought i'd give them a try..there's only one way i can describe the chocolate shake it's disgusting!!!! and at £1.69 for one shake it's also a complete waste of money.

I am not sure which are the Advant EDGE RTD shakes you are referring to...

... if you mean the Atkins Advantage shakes, I totally disagree with your flavor assessment. I find them delicious, specially chilled. (Make sure you shake them well before drinking, though).

I you are in fact talking about the Atkins RTD shakes, this doesn't mean you are wrong, just that your taste and mine do not coincide... and frankly, it seems quite a few people do like those shakes b/c they've been out for years now, and they seem to have been selling quite well.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 17:58

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

SucraPhobe, re-read the post - she's NOT talking about Atkins Advantage shakes

There's a new imitiation brand out called Advant Edge. It's sold in Tesco here in the UK. Actually, Tesco's own-brand low carb shake is a lot cheaper at £1.20 each, and tastes OK for emergency use.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 01:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins- 29-08-04
Stats: 194/165/132 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi sucraphobe

SyliaUK is correct. they are not Atkins. I haven't seen any Atkins shakes in my Tesco's and I didn't know until I just read SylviaUK's post that Atkins did their own shake, will have to try to check them out if they ever appear.

I tried one of the Advent Edge shakes beacuse i don't always have time for breakfast before i have to take the kids to school - normally end up will a few peanuts until i finished sorting everyone else out.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 05:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaUK
SucraPhobe, re-read the post - she's NOT talking about Atkins Advantage shakes
There's a new imitiation brand out called Advant Edge. It's sold in Tesco here in the UK. Actually, Tesco's own-brand low carb shake is a lot cheaper at £1.20 each, and tastes OK for emergency use.

Well, if you re-read my post you will see that I said:

"I am not sure which are the Advant EDGE RTD shakes you are referring to..... if you mean the Atkins Advantage shakes, ....., .... if you are in fact talking about the Atkins RTD..."

So, I knew it was possible that s/he was referring to another brand.

As for my Tesco, the only RTD LC shakes they sell are Atkins... they have never sold their own brand... they USED to sell the "body perfect" brand for £1.20, which I found a good deal, but stopped doing so after they introduced Atkins'.

On the upside, they have recently lowered the price of the Atkins RTD from about £1.60 to about £1.40, a significant difference.

I hope that eventually their price will approach the roughly 85p or so at which they are sold in N. America (they may be even cheaper when they are on sale)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 15:10

BF:

Sorry to correct you, SucraPhobe, but Tesco DO sell their own brand low carb shake in either strawberry or chocolate flavour They brought them in when they stopped selling the Body Perfect brand. But maybe it's just in the bigger branches ? As for how I know this - I have a couple in my fridge for emergencies At £1.20 (same price as the late lamented Body Perfect - and with an identical ingredient list ) they're good value.

Alas, I wouldn't hold out much hope of the Atkins price coming down to US levels, it's highly unlikely given the relative sizes of the markets and the cost of living index

I know it may not be what you're used to, but hey, this is the UK not the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucraPhobe
As for my Tesco, the only RTD LC shakes they sell are Atkins... they have never sold their own brand... they USED to sell the "body perfect" brand for £1.20, which I found a good deal, but stopped doing so after they introduced Atkins'.

On the upside, they have recently lowered the price of the Atkins RTD from about £1.60 to about £1.40, a significant difference.

I hope that eventually their price will approach the roughly 85p or so at which they are sold in N. America (they may be even cheaper when they are on sale)

Last edited by SylviaUK : Fri, Nov-26-04 at 15:15.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 16:18

Stats: 156/148/126 Female 151cm
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hiya guys,

Sorry to butt in on this thread, as ive not formally introduced myself on the forum yet. . . Am heading there next.

Having recently tried the Tesco own brand low carb shakes it went straight from fridge to sink, thought it was damn awful. Have enjoyed the Atkins variety though, but tend to get a bit carried away once Ive had a few low carb treaties and stock up and have one daily, which is no good for the Lbs or the £'s. Has anybody else tried the Low Carb Rolo's and discovered that each and every packet is completely different. The ones Ive bought in Tesco's tend to taste better than the ones Ive bought from Superdrugs????? Please somebody tell me Im not going Mad!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 08:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaUK
Sorry to correct you, SucraPhobe, but Tesco DO sell their own brand low carb shake in either strawberry or chocolate flavour

Neirther party is correcting the other.

I wrote: "As for my Tesco...", emphasis on *MY*, meaning, the one I frequently visit.

I realize that product availability may vary from store to store.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 16:13

BF:

Exactly so