Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 18:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up Hot Flax Cereal

It's a chilly October day, so I experimented with hot cereal. It turned out quite well!

1 Tbsp flax seeds, ground
1 Tbsp wheat bran
1 Tbsp ground almonds
1 Tbsp vanilla protein powder
1 packet splenda
1/2 tsp cinnamon, or to taste

Grind the seeds and combine all ingredients. Add very hot tap water, whatever amount to get the consistancy you like.

When I plugged it into fitday, I got 10 g of carbs including 5 g fiber, but my protein powder is a little on the carby side. YMMV.

When I make this tomorrow morning, I'll be adding blueberries.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 10:34
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Talking Mmm!

Thanks for this!

I just made it, although I used oat bran instead of wheat. I added water and then microwaved it - actually it came out cakey, so I added more cold water and stirred, and then it was hot cereal. I poured some cream over it. It really tastes good!

I have been playing with grinding my own stuff in a coffee grinder, so these are almonds and flax seeds that I ground up myself. They grind up really well, but this grinder tends to get a bit clogged with them. I guess they are stickier than coffee beans.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 03:49

Plan: No plan, just low carbs
Stats: 190/185/165 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

Kristine,

You mentioned your protein powder is a little high in carbs, or at least has some. Well, I was at a helth food store yesterday called "Wild Oats Natural Marketplace" and saw their section on "bulk" foods. I noticed they had a protein powder you can purchase at bulk and the label said for only 2 TBSP it had something like 25grams of protein and 0 carbs! So there are powders out there which do not have any carbs at all. I haven't tried it yet so taste may be an issue, who knows. lol I think once my current brand "GNC" of protein powder is gone I'm going to try the 0 carb one.

Of course, you may already know all this...I was just trying to be helpful. (wink)

Take care!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 12:07
Forum Moderator

BF:

Glad you liked it, Ysabella! The only thing I'd suggest is that if you're eating the flax for the omega-3s, don't microwave it. Just nuke the water, and don't let it boil.

Herrmann: thanks. I bought this can of protein powder at a bargain price, and I didn't even check the label! It's actually not that bad - a huge scoop has 10 g carbs, and I never use more than a Tbsp or two. Being the cheapo I am, I'll use it up.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 14:27

Stats: 375/375/195 Male 6' 2"
BF:Don't wanna know
Progress: 0%

My wife made the Hot Cereal recipe from Dana Carpenter's book 500 Low Carb recipes. Quite similar to your flax cereal recipe. A very nice break from egss etc.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 15:33
Forum Moderator

BF:

I also like it as a more palatable alternative to psyllium, when you need the extra fiber.

I tried it today without the wheat bran (I forgot it) and I think I like it a little better, even though it brings down the fiber. YMMV.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 14:53
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I've been doing just ground flax and hot water with butter or cream and splenda to taste. Sometimes I add cinnamon.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 18:32

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!

I've been waiting to make this for about a week now... I have everything finally. I cannot wait! I will let you know what I think.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 10:30

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!

Bumping this up, because it is seriously one of the best things I've ever eaten. I like the Flax O Meal cereals okay, but they were too bitter and slimey for me.

This is spectacular! I used Kristine's basic recipe above, but used a whole scoop of Designer Whey French vanilla, sugar-free caramel to sweeten, and added a tbsp cream as well. I also omitted the cinnamon... just because I forget it.

I combined everything except for the flax and cream in a bowl and microwaved it. It was very thick and cakey when it was finished (about 45 seconds). I let it cool a bit, added the cream and then the flax seeds. Added a bit more water for the consistancy... and viola! Amazing. It was everything I loved about the butter pecan Flax O Meal but without the bitterness and slime.

I highly recommend this. 11/10 stars for sure and a for Kristine!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 09:31
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%
Question A question...

Hi Kristine,

I don't have a way to grind the flax seeds (yet) but I noticed in Walmart they had some ground flax seed. I am assuming I could use that, but what would the quantity be?

Stephanie
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 11:26
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

I make a very similar hot cereal almost every morning for breakfast. But I add nutmeg and cinnamon to mine. The NUTMEG is amazing in this cereal!! Also if you can find Xtreme Power Whey Isolate protein powder (natural flavour--green tub) it is not only quite inexpensive (908g tub for like 50$) but it also has 0g carbs (huge 35g scoop) and has no added flavours or sweeteners. I have been told by my kinesiologist that it has the best ingredients out there. (100% pure cross flow microfiltered, ultrafiltered and diafiltered whey protein isolate) You can also buy flavoured ones.(they do have a bit of carbs in them but are sweetened w/stevia) I also add stevia to my cereal. To me it is the best sweetener in the world for shakes or cereals!! AND.. the great thing about stevia is that it has 0g crabs and 0 cals!! Some ppl say that it has an after taste but I have Never ever had an after taste.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:59
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi BigTed. Sorry I didn't notice your question sooner. I would think that if you "pack" the ground flax, it would be roughly tbsp for tbsp. It fluffs up to about double the volume when I grind the seeds. It shouldn't really make much difference, though... you can adjust it to taste.

Edit: I just found a post from Bawdywench in which she says her 3 T of flax seeds became about 4 and a half ground.

JRichards, I'll try that brand next time. Right now, I'm trying to use up this gawd-awful strawberry banana whey protein. Blech!

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Apr-26-04 at 16:57.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 19:08
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

Hi Kristine,

Thanks for the info. I actually went out and bought a grinder and I'm loving the flax seed. I played with your cereal recipe a bit and I've made muffins which were actually quite good. Until this WOL I would have never looked at flax seed.
Thanks again,

Stephanie
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 20:45
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

I love the flax o meal cereal with some ricotta mixes in..little SF maple syrup..mmmm
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 10:55

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

This is good stuff! I didn't have any vanilla protein mix, so I used banana and vanilla DaVinci syrup for flavor (plus butter, a little salt and cream). It tasted like banana nut bread! yummy!

I added some xantham gum to thicken it up, and it got a little slimy, especially as it got colder. I'm thinking that's what makes Flax-o-Meal slimy.

Last edited by Zymi : Mon, May-17-04 at 01:29.