Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 12:27

Plan: Atkins BSCP/Paleo
Stats: 225/192/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Question Went to the docs today ...

...to have my fasting lipids and Hb-A1c repeated. They were last done in June last year and showed I was pre-diabetic. The results of today's tests won't be available until next Monday.
But here's a thing. I weighed myself at home first thing, like I do every morning, and I was 202.5lbs, naked. An hour later, at the surgery, I weighed 198.0lbs, fully clothed. So whose scales do I believe? What a dilemma! I mean, that's at least 4lbs difference, and more if you allow for the weight of the clothes.
After a full day of wondering and fretting about this, I've ordered a new set of super duper (super expensive) medical grade Seca scales, just like the ones at the surgery I'll wait and see what they say before I update my ticker!
The other really good news was that my blood pressure was pronounced 'perfect', which has not been the case at all for the past few years.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 12:37

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm suspecting that, as the doctor's scales are 1) Not kept in the humid bathroom and 2) As you said, super-duper expensive...

...That you will soon be updating with a big ole grin on your face.
Well done!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 13:31

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

It's really not ahuge difference. It doesn't matter which scale you use as your "official" as long as you keep using that SAME scale for consistency.

Yes, doc's scales are more expensive, but they also often go uncalibrated for longer than they should and get used a LOT, so I wouldn't bet my money on either one cuz ya never know!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 13:39

BF:

I know what you're saying Jill, but 4lbs is actually rather a big deal to me with my weight loss being so painfully slow! I haven't stopped beaming all day
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 14:24

Plan: No Whites/No Grains
Stats: 275/250/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Wow, congrats on the blood pressure being perfect, that is quite an accomplishment because blood pressure is about the last thing to respond to low carb sometimes. Also, wasn't it nice to be below 200? I'd be on cloud nine and make it mine.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 15:16

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 260/218/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Wow...congrats on all counts! I wish the scale at my doc's office did wonders like that for me...it consistently weighs me 5lbs heavier than my home scale!!

I use my home scale for my "official" Monday weigh-ins (it's a HealthOMeter Everweigh, and I've been happy with it for going on 7-8 years now), and I just know that the extra 5 is going to show up when I make a visit to the Drs. office.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 15:56

Plan: Pregnant - LC/Moderate
Stats: 220/203/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Count me among those who has never had the experience of weighing *less* on the doctor's scale..

Also- hey! I think you're the first person I've seen that has almost exactly my stats. You say things are taking a while for you- how long have you been at it?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 19:24

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Hey, don't sweat it! Treat yourself to a double cheeseburger everytime you go to the doctor's, lol.

congratulations too!!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 20:30
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Expensive scales don't usually mean better.
I've had a SECA forever.
Always reliable.
I love it.

I always take the weight on the scale that I weigh on most often...which is my home scale with the weigh in first thing in the morning as if it were the day I was born

Just make sure your home scale is calibrated with a hand weight and you're good to go!

Don't look at the weight. I maintain between 141-144. The scale on the other hand, I've had forever

#10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-11, 20:33
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean7
It's really not ahuge difference. It doesn't matter which scale you use as your "official" as long as you keep using that SAME scale for consistency.

Yes, doc's scales are more expensive, but they also often go uncalibrated for longer than they should and get used a LOT, so I wouldn't bet my money on either one cuz ya never know!

Depends on what doctor's office you go to. Our scale at work is calibrated ALL the time for accuracy.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-11, 00:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verde
Count me among those who has never had the experience of weighing *less* on the doctor's scale..

Also- hey! I think you're the first person I've seen that has almost exactly my stats. You say things are taking a while for you- how long have you been at it?

I started mid July, but being post menopause, I didn't get the dramatic loss of several pounds in the first couple of weeks like other people report. The weight has come off mostly one pound at a time. I know I'm still making good progress, slow and steady wins the race and all that, but lately my losses have slowed right down to half a pound every other week which is beyond frustrating. It took me a while to get my low carb head back on, but once I did I stuck pretty much religiously to the plan - apart from the solitary fried fish incident - so I am disappointed that the weight hasn't quite rolled off!
I have dropped a dress size from a tight UK 20 to a comfortable UK 18, but I would love to get down to a UK 16 by Christmas.
The scales I've been using are digital electronic ones which also display body fat %. They weren't cheap, but they are probably getting on for 10yrs old. The new Seca ones I've ordered are identical to Lisa's.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-11, 05:10

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona M
I know what you're saying Jill, but 4lbs is actually rather a big deal to me with my weight loss being so painfully slow! I haven't stopped beaming all day

Feel free to continue beaming, by all means - 4 pounds isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I know that getting to the other side of a major marker like 200 is a big deal

But you KNOW you didn't actually lose 4 more pounds; your scales are likely always about the same amount off from one another. My point was that you just need to pick one scale to use as your "official" for the sake of consistency. You could very well weigh yourself on 5 different scales and not get the same exact number twice!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-11, 06:59

Plan: LC (resumed 2/10/16)
Stats: 280/175/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I flipped when I got under 200. I've been 230+ for the last four years. Even though we're kinda broke right now, I went to my favorite store and bought 3 tops and a pair of jeans. I was so excited to not be "plus size" anymore! =D
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-11, 14:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

One thing you can coount on is that , if you lose five lbs, it will show on any scale. So if you weigh at the doctors at 198 but at home you're 200...if you lose 5 lbs, it will show on either scale.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-11, 19:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

The scale made me insane in my prior LC attempts. I wanted to announce my entry into onederland on a billboard. Conversely, a stall or a slight gain would bum me out for days.

So, this time, I'm weighing only when I go down a full pant size. And every day, I remember to be grateful for how much cleaner my body feels and how much more vital I am.