Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 03:13

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Will my hair grown back?

I have always had very thin, fine hair. I know its considered normal for some to experience hair loss on Atkins, but I don't have a lot to lose, and its gotten so bad now I just had to have my hair cut short becuase it was looking too fine and thin long. I am very depressed about this, it doesn't look good, and even my mother has commented and is concerned.

Is it going to grow back?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 04:20
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

My hair is also fine and thin, and I noticed it getting thinner the first few months on Atkins. But I also remember that happening on other diets too when I was losing weight in past years.

I have noticed lately that it is back to "normal", I wear mine short anyway, but there is definitely more of it, thank goodness. There are other threads about this subject, and it seems to be fairly common, the consensus being that losing weight stresses your body especially at first when you are losing a lot.

So hang in there!

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 04:30

Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

Yes, in answer to your question.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 06:14
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Well it better start growing back soon or Im gonna run a muck with a meat cleaver
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:16

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Diets have a tendency to cause hairloss, not just Atkins.As for my hair, it has grown longer. I was planning on treating myself to a haircut when I get down to my goal weight, but I dunno if I want to now.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I hope it does.....mine was falling out before i started atkins and I was only 30.....so i don't know if atkins has made it worse or not but I am taking biotin and it has helped a lot of people on here with hair loss so i'm hoping it works for me too!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:24

Stats: 255/161/155 Female 5'9"
BF:38.9%/23.4%/22%
Progress: 94%

Yep, mine came out in clumps. I started to completely freak out. After the rapid weight loss slowed to a normal pace the hairloss stopped. I've noticed all of these new little hairs growing back at a pretty quick rate.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:46

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

mine fell out in clumps too and i had to cut it-- my mom was so concerned as well. I started taking biotin, though, and my mom said she noticed an improvement. It's stopped falling out now but i'm not too sure about it regrowing back.....
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

I was freaking too but now I have lots of little wispy hairs sticking up (NOT particularly attractive, incidentally) so it's clearly coming back.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:56

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I sure hope it comes back. Mine started coming out after about four months on Atkins. I was going to get my hair cut shorter when I reached my goal weight (I thnk I can wear different styles now that my face shape has changed), but I may go ahead and do that now.

BTW, the reason your hair is falling out is that more follicles are going into the "dormant" stage than usual. We all lose hair all the time; it's natural. It's just that when under stress, your body decides to deep-six unnecessary procedures like growing hair. (My body and I have not yet come to an agreement about what constitutes stress, but I would have to agree that yes, technically, the hair on my head is mostly ornamental.)

I am looking forward to nicer hair in the end, though, as I have noticed that my fingernails are growing in much thicker.