Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction now CAD
Stats: 198/175/175 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question CALP Technical Question

With plan D it looks like it would be alright to eat a comp breakfast and then wait to have the rm in the middle of the afternoon. Sense this diet has eliminated hunger pains it would be easy to wait. The book says if this results in more that 2 pounds per week to return to plan C.

So the way I read this, it would be ok to switch between C and D any time I want. Do I understand this correctly?

Also on these plans what is the purpose of requiring salads and why are they to be eaten first? This isn't a problem I just couldn't find the reason why.

Thanks - Larry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 02:54

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Larry--My idea is that the salad is healthy filler. If you start with an lc salad--then progress to protein, lc veggie, carbs, you will be too full to indulge in too many high carb foods. Kind of like eating all your dinner before getting dessert... A good way to balance the rm, at least that's how I see it...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 06:24

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

Actually, your question is a CAD question, not CALP. The CALP book doesn't have plans a,b,c, or d.

They call the salad at the beginning of the RM a "craving-reducing" salad. As Tess said, it is intended to help fill up your stomach with LC food, so you can't eat as much of the carbs as you may like.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 08:15
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

Your body gets used to a routine, so generally you stick to one plan. However CAD is also flexible, that means that if you need another CM or CS you have it...up to the max of course.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 08:20

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

HI, the salads also help with insulin levels. You wouldn't get a surge just as you start eating.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 09:35
Registered Member

Plan: C.A.L.P. and Bernstein
Stats: 204/176/-140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 8%

I was thinking along those lines too. I thought also that the body would get so used to eating salads and low carb meals that when you started your reward meal with yet another salad your body would think, "Oh here we go again with another low carb meal - no need for insulin this time".
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 10:27
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb

Thanks everyone that does make sense. I know I like having a salad first when we go to a restaurant but usually at home I eat the salad with dinner. The only problem is I'm just too full when it comes to the chocolate ice cream! =-)

Isle - Wow you're right. I just went to the web site to confirm they are different books. I saw on the CAD cover "lifelong solution" and just thought everyone called it carbohydrates addict's life plan and by the way I see it's "program". I'll get the other book and read it.

Still eating my salad first.

Thanks for the info, again.

Larry
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 18:18
Registered Member

BF:

Are their other key differences between the CAD book and CALP book besides the clarification on the RM balance of one third each?

Should I order the CALP book or just continue with the CAD? I'm happy with the CAD so far even though I've been calling it CALP.

Thanks - Larry
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 19:54

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Larry: if you are happy and losing weight I would not bother with CALP book. I lost most of my weight doing CAD but then my body got stubborn and I had to start balancing my RM and cut out artificial sweeteners.

Why be stricter with yourself than you need to be?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 03:48

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Larry--I agree. I had been CAD-ing for a while before I bought the CALP book. I think it's a good one to read--and it helped me a lot--but it mainly taught me more about my reward meals. There are a few changes to cms (allowed veggies), and some changes in sauces (for instance teriyaki was allowed before--now it's not recommended)...
The thing that reading the newer CALP book helped me with, mainly, was balancing the rm. Just like we talked about before--if you start with your mandatory salad, then progress through the 1/3's--your total high carb intake will be LOTS smaller than the original CAD book led us to believe. I measure my high carb foods at rms in bites or half cups (not that I really "measure", but you get the idea)... Depending on how hard it is for you to lose weight, you can keep tweaking those carbey food amounts to help you with your weight loss. Pretty much the same as switching plans (A,B,C, etc) on CAD, you just tweak the rm by adding lc veggies and protein, or eliminating some of the high carb stuff. You certainly could benefit from reading the book, but IMO, those are pretty much the main differences. Also there is a chapter on options, which might be helpful to you. There are several suggestions for things to do that can be helpful to some in speeding their slow loss. For example, adding GTF chromium, eliminating caffeine, adding exercise, etc. etc.
Hope this makes some sense to you--seems longer than I intended-- All the best--hope that you are doing well....
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 03:49

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have salad (coleslaw) for most of my RMs. I generally start with a few bites of it and then I just eat the rest as part of my meal. I never really gave this much thought before, to tell you the truth.

I follow CAD but have read CALP. I found it an interesting read as there are several new topics discussed in there but it doesn't really modify the basic plan, in my opinion. Since you are already aware that the reward meal needs to be balanced, CALP just empthasizes that more.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:09
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Jalera, Tess, and Vel,

Acturally that was just what I was thinking. If I get a chance to pickup the CALP book I will but otherwise I'll just stick with CAD. If I need a little adjustment I can always ask.

Thanks for the info.

Larry
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 22:49
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

I basically follow CAD with stressing balence at RM...when possible.. Thats just seems important for my body, If I want to lose i have to watch balence and I try to eat a salad first but not always. I have found that I am very sensitive to refined sugar so I avoid that except on rare ocassions.