Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 07:05

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Are you dieting? Say goodbye to your (female) friends

Are you dieting? Say goodbye to your (female) friends

Women that start a diet, had better brace themselves against jealous reactions. According to the British journalist Sasha Slater many women consider it a threat when a friend of them loses weight.

"Woman are very good at evaluating other females. When these are fatter then themselves, they do not consider them a big threat. They would be less capable of catching a man and therefore their 'chances of survival' are limited. However, as soon as such a fat friend starts to lose weight, jealous reactions can come to surface", says Slater.

Some women even go so far that they start to feed up their friend. "When you are on a diet, it is very much possible that your (female) friend makes a negative remark. Some of them do not 'recognize' you anymore as your old self, others feel somehow 'insulted' because you don't want to indulge in disert together with them. These are all tricks to get you back on your old, familiar and safe weight".

The only solution is to break up friendship with these friends, or to avoid them for a while. Until you have reached an acceptable weight and you are better capable of taking the remarks and they have no influence on your chance of diet success.

Last edited by Pilili : Thu, Mar-24-11 at 07:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 08:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Aw, I hate it when they boil down complicated human relationships to a few rancid platitudes.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 08:50

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
When these are fatter then themselves, they do not consider them a big threat. They would be less capable of catching a man and therefore their 'chances of survival' are limited.

Hahaha! I better go "catch me a man" to "ensure my survival".
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 08:55

Plan: atkins/i&NIPD
Stats: 157.0/139.6/119 Female 159cm
BF:32%+/31.5%/??
Progress: 46%

yes indeed. Because that is what we women are all about, and our "friendships" are based on whether we feel our "friend" is competition or not.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 12:59
Registered Member

Plan: Duke University Lifestyle
Stats: 221.5/201.5/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

This is really insulting. Did this "journalist" do any research at all or just pull this out of thin air? I am particlulary amused by the assumption that all women want is to "catch a man." And the only way to do that is to be thin, because men are so shallow they can't look beyond that. Sasha managed to stuff a lot of stereotypes in her little article!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 13:09

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Women are usually extremely competitive for whatever reason. They feel threatened. I can understand what they are saying her but it doesn't always have to be like that.

I didn't lose weight to 'catch a man' anyways. That was the least of my concern. I always try to help my female friends lose weight. I don't care about petty garbage like this. It happens, a lot people are shallow. Not ALL people are shallow.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 13:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayustar
It happens, a lot people are shallow. Not ALL people are shallow.

Words to live by!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 16:03
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Such a generalization. I suppose use of the word "friend" is very subjective.

If you lose friends over jealousy, were they ever really your friends?

My female friends are nothing like this.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 06:52

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

So did the British journalist who this is "according to" just invent this one day over her tea and bickies?
What rubbish.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 08:27
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Yes I think this journalist has really simplified the issue.

My friends are really supportive of me and eachother whether this weight or losing weight or very slim. The only time they would question weight loss would be if it were unhealthy, for instance constant crash dieting or someone trying to be too (anorexically) thin.

I did have one friend about 10 years ago who did feel that she had an advantage over me with men as she was slimmer. I didn't realise this though and took her with me on a blind date to a club with a guy I'd been chatting with on the internet (I know three's a crowd, but safety first). It turned out that she'd assumed the guy would take one look at us and decide he liked her better (I know, crappy friend). He was friendly to her all night, not wanting her to feel excluded, but as it became clear that he had no interest in her and was interested in me, she became increasingly sulky and withdrawn. In the following weeks she was really nasty and its no shock we stopped being friends. So yes these jealous types do exist, but true friends are happy for you, and supportive whatever your endeavours.

And the blind date and I celebrated our ten year anniversary together yesterday. So yes, there are plenty of men who aren't shallow too.

Lee
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 21:34

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

This woman calls herself a journalist but can't spell! This makes me a little wary of her psychological insights.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 21:44

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Some women can be that way, I have 2 friends, and we are all trying to loose weight. All of us are at diffrent stages, and we are all trying to encourage each other. I got my fellow while I was heavy, I have no concerns about getting a man when I'm thinner. Both my friends got there men when they were heavy also, and the guys are still with them.

My first husband was that way, he was jelouse that I lost weight and was trying to "feed me up". He hated that I spoke to people, didn't have a problem before. Didn't work.