Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 09:50

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%
Default What role can schools play in safeguarding children with food allergies?

This isn't really low-carb related. The article did make me raise an eyebrow when it said "1 in 25 kids" has an allergy and the number is rising. Of course, this makes me wonder, why are so many kids getting such severe allergies? It seems to baffle anyone who went to school before the 80s, when allergies were allegedly a rarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
Food allergies among children require parents to be vigilant about what their kids eat. But schools struggle to evaluate how far rules and laws should go in keeping children from eating something that could trigger a fatal allergy attack.

A Chicago Tribune story describes the community reaction after a seventh-grader died from something she ate at a school party. It says:

"Some parents and health officials say epinephrine auto-injectors should be as common in schools as defibrillators are, so immediate help would be available to any student suffering anaphylaxis, the severe allergic reaction that can close off breathing tubes and send the body into shock. But school districts, grappling with financial constraints and declining test scores, wonder how much more they can take on, and whether they're even capable of making emergency medical decisions in such cases."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 1 in 25 children are affected by food allergies, many of them to multiple types of food, and the numbers keep increasing. Here's more information from the CDC and some tips for parents from the International Food Information Council Foundation.

And then there's the matter of diagnosing food allergies in children. In December, new guidelines in how to test kids were urged by a consortium of experts led by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. This story explains the recommended tests.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 11:15

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I don't know if it will surprise you to learn that infants are giving the Hep B vaccine less than 24 hours after being born. And children now take twice as many vaccines before their fifth birthday than when I was a kid (I am 38). I don't know if it's related but it seems messing with the immune system before a baby has even had their first drop of breastmilk just seems crazy and allergies are an immune reaction.

I have developed anaphylaxis to shellfish and dairy in the past couple years. I have no idea why, but my mother developed anaphylaxis to shellfish in her 30's, too, so part of it is likely genetic. There are alot of theories from increasing homogeneity of food supply (what happens when instead of 20 peanut or wheat varieties, there is only one. Someone recently posted about rising hazelnut allergies in Europe - that is their peanut equivalent, meaning it's in everything. I am healthier than I have ever been and suddenly I have to carry a stupid Epi-Pen everywhere I g. I have had a bunch of vaccines in my 30's (Rhogam for RH factor, rabies, tetanus). Who knows

ETA: There has been pushback recently on this stuff, because many kids who test positive for allergies don't actually have a reaction when they eat that food. So, just becasue a kid has been diagnosed with a "deadly" allergy does not mean they actually are in any danger. I think allergists will get better about doing actual food challenges to make sure it's a real thing.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 11:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I lean towards the theory that it is all the grains in the diet; people are in a constant state of having their immune system triggered all the time, and this is known to make all allergies worse. Often, reducing the "allergy load" will make people not react any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I have developed anaphylaxis to shellfish and dairy in the past couple years. I have no idea why, but my mother developed anaphylaxis to shellfish in her 30's, too, so part of it is likely genetic. There are alot of theories from increasing homogeneity of food supply (what happens when instead of 20 peanut or wheat varieties, there is only one.).

Obviously, this wouldn't apply to you; I'm sure genetics have something to do with it.

But chronic Vitamin D deprivation... that's another possible culprit I've become aware of.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 11:32

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I did develop the allergies at a time when I was low on D.