Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 18:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/270/160 Female 5'7 3/4
BF:
Progress: 4%
Angry Yeast infections

Sienna Tahoma 11

Why am I having yeast infections? Is it because of the low carbs? What can I do? Any natural remedies? Foods to eat, not to eat? This is horrible.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 18:26

BF:

Excuse the Sienna, Tahoma. Was trying to change the font and color of post to be creative. Oh lordy, lord it didn't work.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 06:24

Stats: 168/160/126 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi Sweetnchlt.

Did you have yeast infections before this WOE? I don't know the answer to why you have started to get them now. They are very painful and uncomfortable, so I can sympathise with you there!

There is a long list of foods you shouldn't eat to avoid getting yeast infections, and to stop aggrivating it too.

DO NOT EAT OR DRINK
Alcoholic Beverages
Barbecue Sauce
Bread or hamburger buns (not that we can anyway on this WOE!)
Buttermilk
Cake
Cashews
Catsup
Cheeses (except fresh)
Chilli Peppers
Citric Acid
Dried Roasted Nuts
Fruit (esp dried and cured)
Horseradish
Mayonaise
Malted Products
Milk
Mincemeat
Mushrooms
Pastry
Peanuts
Pickles
Pistachios
Pretzels
Rolls
Root Beer
Sauerkraut
Smoked Foods
Soured Cream
Soy Sauce
Sugars of any type
Tomato Sauce or Ketchup
Vitamins in a Yeast base.

It seems quite a lot but they are all avoidable and you can still enjoy this WOE.

It depends what sort of yeast Infections you have. I know some people get rashes etc. I get cystitis, which is an inflamation of the bladder. If this is the YI you're getting there are other things you can do to shake it off, such as drinking gallons of water, salt or baking powder baths, and herbal remedies.
Let me know what YI you're getting and if it is cystitis, I'll write you the list of herbal remedies.

Take care! Hope you feel better soon x

Last edited by HumminBird : Sun, Sep-21-03 at 06:25.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 10:08

Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

The Pill is also a culprit. I was getting one every month for awhile before I started taking acidofolous. I found that now if I feel one coming on, I can take a few pills and stop it in it's tracks.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 10:28

BF:

what is acidofolous? how many would i take? my symptoms are just very itchy. i had been taking an antibiotic for rosachea and it caused me to have this yeast infection. i've been on atkins for only a couple weeks and hadn't had yi since i was in my 20's a long time ago. limiting all those foods would be difficult.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 17:05

Stats: 168/160/126 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 19%

You don't have to limit ALL of those foods I listed, just work out which ones effect you and which don't.
I know that I can eat Mayo with no problems but one piece of cheese and the next day I can feel the YI on it's way.

A lot of people talk of Acidofolis. They all say it really helps. I keep meaning to get some myself. You should definitely give that a go.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 16:24

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I started getting yeast infections about 20 years ago--nasty things that they are. I finally started watching what was going on when I would get one and figured out some very simple things to do which helped immensely. The worst times for me was during the heat of the summer, and after trying the following I rarely, if ever get one.

Wear loose, light-weight, cotton pants in the heat of the summer. Tight jeans will overheat you, which seems to result in the death of the bacteria that keeps this stuff at bay.
Don't ride in vehicles in hot weather with vinyl seats, either.
Avoid antibiotics unless it's a serious illness like strep throat or pneumonia.

About the only time I ever get one now is if I'm sick and run a pretty good fever. Otherwise, I've been infection-free for some years now.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 09:00
Registered Member

Stats: 184/168/135 Female 5' feet  7
BF:??
Progress: 33%

I have been plagued by yeast infections in the past and found that acidophulous definitely helps (available at the natural foods store or maybe even the parmacy these days) I don't generally get them anymore but I ALWAYS get one when I take antibiotics, so maybe that was the problem.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 10:21

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hi, Lalise! Yes, antibiotics will cause yeast infections, because not only do they kill the bacteria within your body that's harmful, but it also wipes out the good bacteria your body harbors that fights things like yeast infections.

There are really valid times to take antibiotics, but unfortunately too many people want them prescribed every time they have a complaint. Ultimately, what we're succeeding in doing (besides killing the good bacteria within us) is creating even more harmful antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 16:19

Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

If I'm not mistaken the meds for Rosacea are antibiotics! This may be your culprit. Yes the acidopholous can be found at a health food store, but I also have it at my grocery store in the vitamin area. As for how much, I'll be honest I started with the recommendations on the bottle. But I took a few more when I have a breakout! Good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 09:56

Plan: nothing in general
Stats: 120/120/110 Female 5
BF:
Progress:
Default To hummingbird(I get cystitis due to YI)

I have bladder irritation due to YI. I dont know what to do.
Please tell me what I should do to get rid of it.

anu
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 10:18
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

And take organic oregano oil.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 17:34

Stats: 200/198/123 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Default Yeast Infection

It could be that your yeast symptoms are do to "die off". When we eat yeasty foods and high carb sugary foods, the yeast in our bodies thrive. We may not have any symptoms until we cut off their food supply. Then we get all itchy, etc.. But it's a very positive thing to know that you're getting rid of those critters and getting so much healthier! I swear by PB-8. It's a strong acidophilus that acts as roto-rooter if you take too many. I suggest one a day and working gradually up to two/day. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 17:47

Plan: candida elimination
Stats: 131/118/117 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I have started using PB-8 as well, another thing in addition to occasional Diflucan is the use of Betadine vag suppositories, I am using one per evening for 5 days , recommended to use for 14 days -it is anti bacterial and anti fungal so I am giving that a try but wear a maxi at night with it cause it will be a bit messy other wise.