Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/159/132
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question Flax-O-Meal Carb Count???

Hi,

Can someone please explain how the carb count works? I see the label on the Flax-0-Meal that I think I will order, says 12 gm carbs, but only 2 digestable per something I read. And it has 10gms fiber.

Ok, so, how does this work. If something has fiber, you may subtract the fiber grams from the carb? Is that true in all food?

Thanks!! I just want to understand this.

I'm looking forward to ordering my flax-o-meal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 16:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 22/22/8
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs up

I just recieved my order of flax o meal and I wasnt sure if I was going to like it. But it tastes to me like oatmeal. I am not sure of the carb and fiber count and how it works. I think you subtract the fiber from the carb count. But I am not sure. You should order the flax o meal it is on sale now. I ordered all the different varieties. Hope you enjoy it like I do!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 00:13

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Protein Power and the newer version of Atkins' book both have you subtract the undigestible carbs (fiber) from the total carbs to yield ECC (effective carb count). It's the ECC that you count toward your daily allotment.

To make things confusing, there are a few manufacturers who pre-subtract the fiber out of the total carb count (and don't tell you). Use the hidden carb tool on the orange bar at the top of the page to help know if this is the case. FlaxOMeal is clean, though. 2 carbs. That's all.

Hope that helps.

BTW, if you want a good laugh, read the first couple of pages of the long FlaxOMeal thread in the products forum, the one started by alto (not the one by MyDelany). I laughed so hard tears were streaming down my face. It's a classic thread.

Allison