Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 167/159/112
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question Ezekiel bread

Can anyone tell me where to get this? and also how many carbs r in it? I can eat tuna sandwhichs alot... but was told to stay away from bread... I heard that on this diet U can eat bread if it is low in carbs.. is that true?? Thanks Jacy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 18:24

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up Ezekiel Bread is great!

You buy it in the frozen foods section of your market. It's frozen because it's made from live grains instead of "flour". So, it goes bad fast, and doesn't have a long shelf life like some of those nasty commercial breads. So, it's a good thing....
It has 80 calories a slice, and 15 carbs (and 4 grams protein). But, 3 grams are fiber so they don't count. That makes it 12 grams a slice. Maybe a little high, but it's so good for you that I think it's okay. I eat a piece or two a day.
Carole

P.S. They make Ezekiel tortillas too.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 07:36

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

The places I have purchased it -- Kroger's in the natural food area ususally-in the freezer, at most hf stores (frozen also) and one of the Trader Joes in this city has it sometimes( ithink it sells fast there) on the shelf. In my area it usually runs $3.+. Trader Joe's also carries a knock off, but IMO, it isn't quite as tasty, although a little cheaper. I have found that with such a nutritiion packed bread that one peice is as filling even for a sandwich, which is equal in carbs to a less nutritous 2 peices of a low carb bread. Of course I have never been able to find a low carb bread that is very tasty and nutritious.

Also I try to have a cup of soup or low starch vegetable if I have a sandwich 1/2. It should be kept in the refrigerator also.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 12:43

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Bread

Hi and Good Morning

I have only been able to find Ezekiel bread in one store in Vancouver - over $5 per loaf. However, here in Canada there is a brand called Healthy Way - 15 carbs per slice - 4.3 grams of fibre (for the Alpine Chipmunk style - there are three or four different kinds - like flaxseed and whole wheat - but the fibre and gram count changes with each different kind so you have to check the lavel) and it can be purchased at almost any supermarket.

Hope this helps other Canadians - we don't seem to have access to as many low-carb products as our neighbour south of the border.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: A little of everything
Stats: 134/131/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 38%

OK guys, went to the store yesterday to get the bread and there were several Ezekial varieties. This is an expensive bread here, so I am wondering which loaf is the best for me before I buy?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 09:32

Thumbs up

I like the 4:9 the best, but my hubby likes the sesame seed.
I guess I'm lucky, here it's only $2.75 a loaf. I even found it on sale a few weeks ago for $2.00, and I bought five loaves.
Carole
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 12:59

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Jacy,
I like Ryvita Sesame Rye Crackers instead of bread for tuna sandwiches. The only ingredients are Rye, Sesame seeds, and Salt.

Each cracker has 35 calories and 6 grams of carbohydrate.

Best wishes,
Sandy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 12:11

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Another option for tuna "sandwiches" is to use a leaf of iceberg or romaine lettuce and make a "lettuce wrap"
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 14:09

Plan: schwarznbein
Stats: 125/125/125
BF:14%
Progress: 100%
Smile Ezekiel bread

I found today in my local health food store Ezekiel tortillas. I was so happy I have been looking for a good tortilla that has no damaged fats in it. Can't wait to make them.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 08:51

Thumbs up

I love the tortillas! They are kind of earthy, but very good!!
Carole