Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:35

Plan: Weight Watchers (1/2008)
Stats: 264/214/185 Female 5' 9½"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Unhappy My wonderful protein shake

Last week I was elated, when I dropped 5 pounds, having my protein shake in place of 2 meals.

It was easy for me, and I was always satisfied and full.

I drank a shake for breakfast, and one for dinner. For lunch I had a large salad, usually a Cobb salad. I would have a snack when I got home from work - of 4 oz cheese.

I have not been good about water, and I do drink about 4 cups of coffee a day.

WELL..........this week I gained back 2 pounds!!!! But I did take measurements, which I have not done in quite a while, and find I have lost about 2 inches overall!

Whatz up?

Yesterday I had 2 shakes, 3oz cheese with a small can of Vienna Sausages (can sez -0- carbs) 2 flax seed muffins (2 carbs each) 3 cups of coffee and 1 cup of peanuts - when I put it all into fit day - I was truly surprised at the carb count - the peanuts were way more than the 8 carbs I thought they might be - and I gained 1 pound.

Suggestions - help - hints........
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Char, protein shakes are meant to supplement a well balanced nutrition plan - not replace one. They work well in emergencies or when you're caught short.

Eating real food is always better. As for the scale bouncing around - it's normal and its to be expected. It happened when you gained the weight too - you just weren't watching

What you might want to do is cut out the fake food - anything that is prepared and meant to replace old High Carby foods and stick to the basics - real proteins, real carbs from green leafy veggies, real fats- and lots of them. You might also want to eat a little more - judging from your menu you're not eating enough to sustain a 120 lb woman

Have a look through the "Newbies' questions" forum - there is a thread in there called "Hot Links!" and it's full of links to past and ongoing discussions on things like eating more fat to lose more fat, what supplements to take, how much water you need, why you should lift weights. Its a gold mind of information.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well, like you found out, the nuts can be a problem for lots of us.
But I also don't think you should be having 2 shakes a day, you need more real food, to keep the calories/fat up. Most plans with shakes are only to use the Mega ones to replace one meal aday.
I bought Designer Whey, it says, not to use to replace a meal, only to supplement.
Also, I remember your recipe is very sweet, so X 2, might just be going againist you

Just my 2 pennies, maybe try cut the shakes out for a week, I do recall them stalling some, although I konw it help you bust out of one did'nt it, but maybe you've over done it?

Good Luck, Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 10:22

Plan: Weight Watchers (1/2008)
Stats: 264/214/185 Female 5' 9½"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Nat and Kathy,

Thanks for your replies.

The shakes are so good and easy , but maybe not for me now.

I just unplugged the coffee pot, had a three egg omelett, with a small amount of green pepper and mushroom - sprinkled with cheese, and a 20 oz bottle of water.

I will try to not use the shake for 1 week, and see what happens.

In the beginning I was losing pretty steadily - but seems lately I am good for the week and then the weekend comes, and I stray.........that was why the shake was so good for me. (or should I say easy)

In order to get losing again, I am going to have to "plan" menus, and put a little extra effort in.

I think I will take some of the whipping cream and make the chocolate mousse I used to have as a treat each, night, and go back to more eating. I have the ingredients to make the pizza tonight.

Nat, I love to read your posts - you seem so knowledgable, and have such a great sucess rate. I always wondered what your actual weight loss was - as the body fat lost looks amazing, and your pictures show a real success story