Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-06, 14:11

Plan: Low Carb / Keto
Stats: 350/188/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Dreamfields Pasta - Reheating and Using Cold

I read a few posts on this forum somewhere that said that if you reheat Dreamfields pasta that it loses that low-carb value...so I emailed them with a very specific question, and this is how they answered...(basically the answer is that yes, you can reheat/use cold.)

Quote:
sales internet <sales~dakotagrowers.com> to me

Thank you for contacting us to ask about reheating of Dreamfields pasta. Based on the way the pasta is made, and how our special fiber and protein blend protects the carbs, we don't believe that reheating will affect the level of digestible carbs. This has been supported by initial tests we've conducted under a variety of preparation, heating and re-use methods. We would be interested in understanding what approaches you've taken to re-heating, what the dish was that you prepared, how you re-heated it (i.e. oven or microwave), and what your experience was as we want to be sure we continue to assess all methods our consumers use in preparing and enjoying Dreamfields. Thanks.

Thank you,
Dreamfields Pasta Co.
800-250-1917

My question was....
Quote:
On the low carb diet message board I go to people have mentioned that you cannot cook and then reheat Dreamfields pastas because once the pasta cools off it no longer has the low-carb effect for some reason. Is this true? If I were to make the pasta, and then make cold pasta salad with it, or reheat leftover pasta the next day or two, would the carb content be the same? I know this sounds like a ridiculous question - but there is talk that something happens in the cooling down process that changes the lower carb properties. Any help would be appreciated as I'd really like to reheat leftovers and try some cold pasta dishes. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-06, 14:31
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Thank you for that, I Love dreamfields!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-06, 14:48

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wish instead of making the rotini, they would have made manicotti, shells or acini de pepe. Hopefully those are in the works.

I have read the idea that reheating the pasta diminishes the effectiveness of the low carb. There was a website that discussed this in length, and I thought I had it bookmarked, but if I do, I cannot find it.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-06, 06:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Sprioll, I did the same as you and got the same response.
I have reheated it (when I make lasagna I freeze individual portions so I did the same with Dreamsfield lasangna) and have had no stalling from it. But then I'm not diabetic so I'm not checking BS. I think some people are more sensitive to it than others so it'll probably vary by individual. We love it but we only eat it once every couple of weeks and only one serving. For anything other than lasagna I only cook one serving per person. Haven't tried any cold pasta dishes yet.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-06, 06:55
Butter is Better!

I made macaroni salad, I had no problems with it, but I do not eat it very often either, It is a nice change, but I have to make sure I get most of my carbs from veggies.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-06, 15:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I don't buy Dreamfields claims for an instant. I read through their patent and couldn't find anything that supports the idea of 'coated' starch. This is just fiber enriched pasta, that's all. Anything you consume with fiber will be less digestible. This is true for every food. It's one of the reason why you should never take vitamins with fiber rich foods.

This being said... I eat Dreamfields. For about 3 months I was eating it every couple of days- a 4 oz. serving, and I was gaining big time (25 lb.). After that happened, I swore I would never eat it again. But... I just couldn't stay away. Now I'm eating 2 oz. servings and only once or twice a week. I was also cooking it 11 minutes and now I'm cooking it 7.

A 2 oz. serving for a 240 lb. guy is a miniscule amount- only a couple of bites and 7 minute pasta is downright rubbery, but I really can't live without some pasta in my life. We shall see. If I keep gaining with this, I'll be really dissapointed.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-06, 17:31
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I don't believe the LC claims either. Sounds too much like black magic to me. Anyway I used to use just a bit in soups that are never boiled instead of barley or rice and I didn't notice weight gain-- I was on South Beach then without the calorie restriction so I wasn't losing anyway. I read a diabetic site and they said it raises glucose esp if overcooked. YMMV I think.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 09:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
I don't buy Dreamfields claims for an instant. I read through their patent and couldn't find anything that supports the idea of 'coated' starch. This is just fiber enriched pasta, that's all. Anything you consume with fiber will be less digestible. This is true for every food. It's one of the reason why you should never take vitamins with fiber rich foods.

Scott, where do you read patents? I would like to check this out. I definitely agree with your idea about the extra fiber reducing the digestion of the carbs, but I thought there are only 5 g of fiber in a serving. Can that small amount of fiber possibly offset the 42 grams of carbs? It certainly would explain why some people have problems with blood sugar after eating Dreamfields.

Ed
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 17:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ed, I utilize a few patent websites. This one here seems to have one of the larger collections.

The dreamfields patent application can be found here:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20050118326.html

The PDF version is a little easier to read:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20050118326.pdf

As far as 5 g of fiber preventing digestion, I think the type of fiber is critical. 5 g of say, wheat fiber will react much differently than 5 g of xanthan, because the xanthan absorbs a tremendous amount of water.

I'd like to hear your feelings on the patent after you get a chance to look at it. It's possible I'm overlooking something, so a second pair of eyes would be helpful.

They use a lot of big words, but as far as I can tell, the dry ingredients are mixed with the wet and then extruded.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 07:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
I'd like to hear your feelings on the patent after you get a chance to look at it. It's possible I'm overlooking something, so a second pair of eyes would be helpful.

They use a lot of big words, but as far as I can tell, the dry ingredients are mixed with the wet and then extruded.

Yeah, lots of 25-cent words in there! It definitely looks like they are mixing the "secret flour" with different kinds of fiber. The examples at the bottom say that it has 12 grams of available carbs. How do they say 5 on the box? I don't have a box in front of me, but I am thinking there is 7 grams of fiber.

It looks like they have already included in the patent the process for making reconstituted rice, french fries and tortillas.

Something definitely seems awry with Dreamfields. If this protection was truly protective, I would think it would work in everyone and many people report having problems with it and Dreamfields does not seem to have a good answer for that.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 20:57
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Of all my testing (and I have done a lot) Dreamfields has never caused me any problems. My blood sugar goes up more with half an apple than it does with dreamfields. I am also still in ketosis the next day. When I eat a serving of regular pasta my blood sugar spikes and I am no longer in ketosis.

I have tested it dozens of times on myself and still do every once in a while.

Still, I don't eat it very often but I do allow myself to have it on occasion and I often make it when I have company over.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 21:00
Butter is Better!

i have had no problem with dreamfields, and also stay in ketosis with no problem, I do not know what they do to it, but it works for me.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-06, 08:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardGmys
Something definitely seems awry with Dreamfields. If this protection was truly protective, I would think it would work in everyone and many people report having problems with it and Dreamfields does not seem to have a good answer for that.

I don't think you can say anything will "work for everyone". Every person's system is different and how it processes various foods; I can eat things my husband cannot and vice versa. Like salt has never posed a problem for me (and believe me I've eaten alot of it) but my husband has to restrict his intake. I've been told heredity has as much to do that as anything. We don't have any problems with Dreamsfield but we only eat the standard portion size (weighed before cooking) and no more than once a week--it's rarely the main course, just an accompaniment with protein/vegetables. I've also eaten it reheated with no problems. I really hope they do rice and french fries.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 240/240/215
BF:

hi. i am a bit confused. what exactly makes the pasta lose its low carb effect? is it the reheating process? or is it because you let it cool down? this will make me thing twice in eating pasta salad. let me know, thanks.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 12:18
Butter is Better!

according to the web site it does not lose the low carb effect, I eat pasta salad made with it and stay in ketosis so for me it seems to work fine.