Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-01, 07:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Smile

Since I am following the Protein Power LC Plan, I occasionally check back to the website from time to time to see what is new. Found an interesting article on the drug Pentabosol and was especially interested in the detailed description on several other drugs that have been addressed on this forum; fat blockers like chitosan and xenical; starch blockers like zeolin; sugar blockers like glucosol and stimulants like ma huang containing ephedra and (PPA) Phenylpropanolamine. The article helped me in understanding how these drugs work. I personally do not take any of the above and strictly have lost weight by following a LC Diet via PP. Anyone interested in reading the article can be found at:

http://www.eatprotein.com/pentabosol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-01, 10:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default pentabosol.

Great article, but LO-O-OOONG

On the subject of the different "blocker" type drugs and herbs - the large bowel (colon) is designed to deal with properly and fully digested food. Undigested fat, and undigested carbohydrates are foreign irritants that were never meant to make it through the small intestine intact. Longterm use of these products can't help but lead to problems in the long run. Diarrhea and greasy stools being the result of undigested fats; diarrhea, gas and overgrowth of yeast and bacteria from undigested suagr/carbs. Another serious longterm effect of fat blockers is that the vital fat-soluble vitamins - A, D, E and K, as well as essential fatty acids (Omega-3 and -6) are not absorbed either. Unfortunately, in the weight loss world, there is no Cheat and Eat solution. The only thing being cheated is your health.

Fat blockers are unnecessary with a lowcarb program. In fact, you WANT to digest the fat, especially the unsaturated essential fats from flax, olives, nuts ... these can help boost the metabolism and enhance bodyfat-burning.

Of the "carb blocker" supplements, certain components of these do indeed show promise in helping to stabilize blood sugar and insulin levels, carb cravings and fat storage. Citrimax / Hydroxycitrin/ garcinia cambogia is generating significant unbiased and objective scientific interest as well . These elements are found in Pentabosol, so indeed this new supplement holds some promise .. ... It seems though, it's only available by special order ---- (I have to admit I thought the article was just an infomercial at first)

Thanks for telling us about this Bonnie! Very interesting indeed.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-01, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Pentabosol

Yes, Bonnie, interesting, thanks for posting!

I was intially put off by the 'rah rah' promotional writing style: it's exactly the same style I use for marketing materials and business plans when I'm trying to 'pump up' my client's product. I figure if I can write that way about something I know absolutely nothing about and care about even less, so can anyone. As a result, I was immediately suspicious!

Still, I read to the end, and even skeptical ol' me started getting interested. Results of the study were especially intriguing.

I guess we'll hear more as the product becomes more widely available.

Rachel