Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 03:53
Registered Member

Plan: EFGT
Stats: 265/260/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Flax Muffin?

i have read here and on another site about a Flax Muffin that everyone eats Every Single Day... its called a One Minute Muffin... (made with Flax, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, Sweetener, Butter & Egg) if you know anything about this can you explain to me if this is something that is SAFE? is it a STALLER for some? i have read that Flax is a Pure Fiber? so does it simply just pass thru your system? ANY ADVICE OR OPINIONS ON THIS? ANY and ALL information i can get on this subject will be Greatly Appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 71%

They are very yummy,but unfortunately cause me to stall big time. Its really a YMMV kinda thing.Yes they are safe. It is almost all fiber so net carbs are about 2 a muffin.I don't recommend them during Induction though.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 16:29

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Dr Atkins suggested that if you suffer from constipation on induction you can add one tablespoon of psyllium husks, wheat bran or ground flax (linseed outside USA).
He recommended either mixing it with water (yeuch!!) or sprinkling it over salads but many pwople on various diet forums have invented recipes like the one minute muffin to make buns and breads to use it instead.

If you want to use more flax than the tablespoon or so needed to 'regularise' bathroom issues maybe wait till you reach the OWL level/rung 3 where we can introduce nuts and seeds if our body can handle them.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 20:47
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimp
i have read here and on another site about a Flax Muffin that everyone eats Every Single Day... its called a One Minute Muffin... (made with Flax, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, Sweetener, Butter & Egg) if you know anything about this can you explain to me if this is something that is SAFE? is it a STALLER for some? i have read that Flax is a Pure Fiber? so does it simply just pass thru your system? ANY ADVICE OR OPINIONS ON THIS? ANY and ALL information i can get on this subject will be Greatly Appreciated!
Not everyone eats these, and of those who eat them, not everyone has one every day. I prefer T-man's flax muffin recipe. It makes a dozen, and they're baked in a regular oven. I wrap them individually in plastic wrap, and put them all in a gallon zip-lock freezer bag in the freezer. Each muffin contains about 1 Tbsp of flax, so they fit within Dr. A's limits. I often have one of those with my morning coffee, but not unless I feel I need it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 06:48

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I am not in Induction but in OWL and I usually have the OneMinuteMuffin regularly. It has been a godsend for my diahrhea predominant IBS and has helped with my perimenopause symptoms. I am one of the lucky ones and can eat these without stalling. This is a YMMV food and you have to be sure you are well hydrated if you incorporate flax into your diet. I have also posted a recipe in the Breads & Baked Goods forum for my Chocolate Lava Muffin.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 08:16

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I too enjoy these muffins...not daily but maybe twice per week.
They dont stall me....and as long as I remember to increase my liquids...I dont have any problems..I've tried both sweet and savory and LOVE them...
Where would I find T-Man's recipe?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 09:21
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
I prefer T-man's flax muffin recipe. It makes a dozen, and they're baked in a regular oven. I wrap them individually in plastic wrap, and put them all in a gallon zip-lock freezer bag in the freezer. Each muffin contains about 1 Tbsp of flax, so they fit within Dr. A's limits. I often have one of those with my morning coffee, but not unless I feel I need it.

MAY WE HAVE THIS RECIPE PWEEEEEESE KISAL? i would love to have it so i can add it to my Recipe book/and when im ready, i would LOVE to try it! I LOST 2 LBS THIS WEEK "WITHOUT HEAVY CREAM"
THIS WEEK im cutting out the Cheese - would it be better to cut out ALL cheese or just the Cheddar and keep the Cream Cheese? or should i cut out BOTH???

Last edited by Scrimp : Sat, Nov-03-07 at 09:55.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 17:18

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimp
MAY WE HAVE THIS RECIPE PWEEEEEESE KISAL? i would love to have it so i can add it to my Recipe book/and when im ready, i would LOVE to try it! I LOST 2 LBS THIS WEEK "WITHOUT HEAVY CREAM"
THIS WEEK im cutting out the Cheese - would it be better to cut out ALL cheese or just the Cheddar and keep the Cream Cheese? or should i cut out BOTH???

Look in the recipe forums-they are posted under baked goods I believe.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 19:42
Never Give Up!

BF:

I checked to make sure it was in the Kitchen forum (Bread and Baked Goods sub-forum). Here's a link to it:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...260&postcount=1

If you're on Induction, you can omit the nuts. The muffins are still very yummy! I've used many different flavoring extracts and DaVinci syrups to make these in a variety of flavors. All are wonderful, IMO.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 20:16
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Thank You!!!

Thank You So Much KISAL! these are Legal for Induction??? im not on Induction anymore, but i can have 1 of these everyday??? would you have the Nutritional Info on these? so i can add it to my FITDAY? im going to make these tomorrow! Thank You!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 02:13
Never Give Up!

BF:

Yes, here are the numbers (from My P.L.A.N.) for one muffin, if you get a dozen from the recipe:

Cals 178, Protein 5.5g, Fat 15.5g, Carbs 5.8g, Fiber 5.1g.

This is for the basic recipe, without nuts or any other "extras" added.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 07:41

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

They sound amazing!!