Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 02:50
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up The Third TDC Fitness Challenge!!

Welcome to the Third TDC Fitness Challenge!
The purpose of this challenge is to increase our physical fitness - while avoiding injury - over the course of eight weeks. This is a special thread dedicated to support members of the Triple Digits Club, women and men who are (or were) looking to lose 100+ lbs.

Our challenge officially starts November 28th, 2003 and ends January 22, 2004. When other folks are just getting around to making resolutions, we'll be more than half way done towards completing one! How cool.

Let’s Get Started with Week One …
Make a contract with yourself ~ commit to making fitness a priority in your life for the next two months. Also consider promising that you’ll check-in with this thread on a regular basis.

Goals
Make goals for what you will accomplish this week. Be realistic, make them attainable. Challenge yourself, but don’t set yourself up for failure by promising more than you know you can do.

~ Give some thought to how you’ll prevent injury during your workout.

~ Some of us will focus on increasing our activity each week, without a final fitness level in mind. However, if you have a set goal you want to reach by the end of this challenge, feel free to post it now, too.

~ If you like, you can include your start date weight and/or measurements.

The Alien Abduction Clause
Many of us have broken promises we’ve made to ourselves. Often we expect too much too soon, however at times life throws a curve ball. Be flexible when things happen outside of your control.

Should you find yourself beamed aboard a flying saucer, don’t stress that you didn’t get your workout in. Natural disasters, illness, injury, severe trauma, etc., fall into the same category. Just get back to your activity as soon as things calm down.

Extra Credit
This segment is purely optional, as is participation in the Challenge itself, of course! Extra Credit will focus on strengthening and deepening exercise motivation. At some point down the road, keeping dedicated to fitness might not be easy. The American Council on Exercise (ACE) state that dropout rates for those who do begin an exercise program reach 50% or more by the end of the first six months. I didn’t include that statistic here to discourage us. If we can educate ourselves about the personal, program and environmental issues that effect our decision to exercise, we’ll be prepared to face any obstacle that crosses our path.

I’ll be using excerpts from The Difference Between Success and Failure, an article on the About Guide by Paige Waehner. Ms. Waehner is a certified personal trainer and freelance writer with more than ten years of exercise experience.

Each week I‘ll include a question or two to consider. Feel free to participate by mulling over the question to yourself, or sharing with the group. This weeks question:

Name three benefits you get from exercise that have nothing to do with weight loss.

Example ...
(1) I feel proud of myself for finishing the workout.
(2) I feel energized for the rest of the day.
(3) I sleep better on the days I workout.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 03:10
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Daily week one goals:
Upper body workout: 2 sets of 15 reps each
Walk 15 minutes OR 5 minute cardio rider (200 rows)

3 benefits which have nothing to do with weight loss:
1) Feel energized
2) Happy I finished what I commited to!
3) Happier I am doing what I can to improve my life.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 03:11
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile Hi Everyone!

I was so happy to see many familiar and new members joining this challenge! With so much support, how can we fail?!

I, Monika, make this contract with myself and my fellow challengers: I commit to staying physically active for the next eight weeks. I will use this thread to stay accountable ... Each Friday, I will make goals and post them. And I am going to do my very best to achieve ‘em, too!

Week One …
I will do my FAP workout 4+ times
I will do squat sits 10+ each day
I will use strap on weights 4+ days
I will stretch before and after exercise

*FAP stands for ‘Flail Away the Pounds’, a good way to describe the movements in my homemade version of the ‘Walk Away the Pounds’ DVD.

Extra Credit ...
Name three benefits you get from exercise that have nothing to do with weight
1) I can feel my body getting stronger and I have so much more stamina now.

2) I feel a sense of satisfaction when I exercise first thing in the morning. That good feeling lasts all day and makes me less willing to go without it, now.

3) My body feels more like an oversized SUV, less like a jack-knifed semi.

Last edited by AntiM : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 05:00.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 04:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%

Found The Goals Interesting Monika Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 04:25

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi

Whats A Tdc?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 04:52
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:

Hi Gemma70!

'TDC' stands for the 'Triple Digit's Club' sub-forum. It's the part of the forum dedicated to the interests of low carbers who have (or had) 100+ pounds to lose.

Take care!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 06:08

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 270/256/175 Female 5.5
BF:Afraid to Know
Progress: 15%
Thank you Monika, i really appreciate the time and effort you are putting into this.

Week One Goals
Cardio Workout 3 times
Light weights 3 times

Start weight 245lbs Goal Weight 235lbs

Benifits from Regular Exercise
I'm a much happier person when i workout regularly
My body feels healthier
My self-condfidence increases.

I made a fitness chart on my computer, printed it out and stuck to the fidge to encourage me to stick to my fitness goals. I really want to end this challenge as a much stronger and healthier me and i commit myself to putting all my effort to attain the goals that i set for myself each and every week.

Last edited by GreenEyezz : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 12:57.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 06:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Week One Goals:
  • Friday - Monday - Wednesday - Friday == BFL Weight Training
  • Saturday - Tuesday - Thursday == BFL Cardio HIIT
  • Lose 3 lbs
  • Injury Prevention: Do not overextend while lifting; Use spotter for final set (to failure); stretch before and after each workout
  • Do not kick myself if I cannot exercise first thing in the morning, but make sure that it gets done that day

Benefits from Exercise
  • Feeling strong
  • Improved self-esteem
  • Post work-out euphoria

Week One Weight: 389.6
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 08:38

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Monika - Thanks for all of your hard work on this, I have needed some exercise buddies
Week One: I will bike at least 1 mile each day with my son. (If rain, exercise bike instead) I will do light weights 3 times a week.
Benefits:
1. Time with my 8 year old
2. Happier after being outside exercising
3. Pride in oneself for setting a goal and sticking with it.
Week One Weight: 188
Marie
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 09:10
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

I, Marty, make this contract with myself and my fellow challengers: I commit to staying physically active for the next eight weeks. I will use this thread to stay accountable ... Each Friday, I will make goals and post them. And I am going to do my very best to achieve ‘em, too!

-------------------------------------------------

I have decided to give more effort to this fitness challenge than I did the last one: I exceeded my goals but did not post much or get too involved. I feel differently now that I have stayed with this woe and regularly exercise now.

Winter is on the way so I bought one of those hats that have holes for the eyes and mouth so I won't freeze, I have my workouts planned, I feel ready to follow through to the end and I'm motivated. I'm nearing the 300 pound mark, which means a lot to me so I would really be happy if I can be under that by the end of this challenge.

For this challenge my goal is to remain consistent with how I've been working out. In addition, I would like to increase my morning walking distance if my knees can handle it.

My tennis shoes wore out and my feet were hurting so much I got a pair of hiking boots. They are really different than the shoes I'm used to because they have much more foot support and seem to help me walk instead making my feet hurt. Being heavier I should have realized earlier that a firmer shoe would be better than cheaper tennis shoes.

I told my DW I want a weight bench for xmas. I've been using dumbbells and a bench from the picnic table all summer. The picnic table bench sits in the hallway so my DW will be glad to see it go. I'm getting a Weider bench with a lat/tricep bar, which will be nice.

For this challenge I plan to lift light weights for 20 reps 3-4 times a week. The reason for high reps is to burn any stored glycogen in the muscles, which helps me to get into deeper ketosis. For me, I have noticed that a deeper ketosis reading corresponds to a faster and steadier weight loss. In the past I have used this to successfully break a stall.

Currently I've been walking 2.1 miles in the morning consistently, which is also my favorite time to walk. It will be a little challenging once my supervisor at work leaves and I take over his job, but I'm prepared to get up earlier in the morning so I can still get in my walk. I also like to go on a 1.35 mile walk in the evening but with winter and night classes coming up, I may let this slack a little.

Another reason I like to walk in the morning is because I take a hot shower before walking which warms me up which makes my body looser and I think it helps to prevent injuries.
-----------------------------------------

EXTRA CREDIT

Name three benefits I get from exercise that have nothing to do with weight loss.

1. I am able to work more hours a day without getting exhausted because I am in better condition.

2. I believe my mind works better now that I get more fresh air and better blood circulation.

3. I feel better about my health in the long run because deep down inside I really know that a consistent exercise program is essential to solving my weight problem.

4. Exercising feels good to my body and mind.

Last edited by mudknife : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 13:14.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 09:55
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

Weight - 246

Workout Goals:

1 I keep track of inches lost - I have lost 37.5 inches since I began to measure - I will post inches lost weekly - next post Friday Dec. 5th.

2 I will strive to work to my personel best each day.

Workout logged in Gym Log

Non Weight Loss Goals:

1 I will exercise 5 days per week
2 To follow my workout schedule
3 To eat breakfast before 10:30 (means that I have to beging exercising by 9 AM)
4 I will not be concerned about what the scales say - my workouts are for increasing mobility, strenght and an overall feeling of wellness. If there is weight loss it will be a bonus .

Last edited by Bjuba : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 13:45.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 10:48

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

Thanks Monika for the PM and for managing the topic.

I will do my workout as usual but increase the intensitiy by upping the MPH .1 and incline.5 each time to challenge myself.

I will continue my stretching before and after workouts. I can reach the floor now with all fingers yippeeeee. I don't think palms will ever touch unless I grow some longer arms, but maybe in 2 months my thumbs can touch too.
So the schedule is BFL style lifting 3 days with cardio afterwards and HIIT and fat burn 3 days. I've increased the BFL pryamid to the HIIT by doing the increases for 1/8th of a mile now instead of a 1/16th of a mile so it will be a total of 6 sets of 1/8th mile recover, 5/8th mile intervals for a total of 4.5 miles HIIT and then 30 min of just plain walking for the extra fat burning.

Extra credit:
1) the treadmill warns me it is dangerous to use the measure heart rate function while running and I'm walking.
2) I get me, myself, and I time every day
3) I'm not as stressed about things.

Last edited by Atkins4myW : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 10:50.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 12:36

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Thanks, Monika for the challenge and all your work getting it going.

I, Julie, (Tedmom) contract this week to try to make the following goals:

Week One:

1) Treadmill for 30 minutes three - four days this week;
2) Stretch before treadmill and all other exercises;
3) Crack open the two year old Tae Bao tapes and try it out one of the days
4) If not dead from Tae Bao, do one more day. If Tae Bao too much, drag out my Jane Fonda beginner step tape and do that one day.
5) Post goal results on Fridays.

Extra Credit

1) Positive effect on stress.

2) Feel more flexible.

3) Be able to have more endurance for Christmas shopping
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 13:49

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Hey count me in.

I, Kelly, make this contract with myself and my fellow challengers: I commit to staying physically active for the next eight weeks. I will use this thread to stay accountable. Each Friday, I will make goals and post them. And I am going to do my very best to achieve ‘em, too!

This weeks goals:
-Do BFL exercise regiment at least 3 times this week (6 times a week just won’t work with my schedule and I'm not making excuses, I'm being realistic so I don't have to make excuses later)
-Increase my weekly walking total by 1 mile
-Get my exercise charts back up on my wall were I can see them and use them!
Extra Credit

1. Get all my daily water intake down with no problem!
  2. Feel good about myself
  3. Proud that I can do more reps, more miles, more everything than I could have 6 months ago!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 14:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I am glad we are starting this challenge. I have been sort of in a slacko holiday mood and I need to kick myself in the rear and get back into a good workout routine. My food intake has also been crappy the past few weeks.

Workout Schedule-
Weight Lifting
Sat and Wed - chest, shoulders, tris, bis - 2 exercises per part, 3 sets 8-12 reps, heavy weights
Mon - legs, back, and abs - 2 exercises per part, 3 sets 8-12 reps, heavy weights
Cardio
Sat, Sun, Tues, Thurs - 30 min video
Eats
Prepare some bars for the week.
Log food in at FitDay every day.
Eat 6 meals a day, BFFM eating with carb tapering at last 3 meals, 1800-1900 cals
Flaxseed oil daily

I have more energy
I feel my muscles
I sleep better and the whole day goes smoother