Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 10:01

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default If you live near a Wegmans and are super lazy cook like me...

I was there this morning, and they have refrigerated bags of 6 Eggland's Best brand eggs, hard boiled and peeled, for $1.99, just ready for snacking, egg salad, or deviled eggs! I bought 2 bags. It's a great price considering the 2 bags (so a dozen eggs) weren't much more than for a dozen Eggland's Best raw eggs, yet these are already cooked and peeled.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 18:54

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Well, I was already homesick (born and raised in a small town near Rochester, NY). But...I've worked in restaurants most my career (retired pastry chef) and there is a large Inn near me where, if I'm very nice, and sweet, they will sell a 'half bag' of hard boiled eggs (that's 20 eggs, BTW) for five bucks.

It would behoove the boiled egg lovers to make friends with the restaurant management I suppose. I really miss Wegman's...sigh...or...maybe it's just the 'White Hots' I miss most. I can hardly wait till Christmas when a certain relative will cold ship me some White Hots. MMMMMMMM
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 07:15

BF:

I didn't grow up anywhere near a Wegmans, but now that I've got multiple around me, I don't want to give them up! They have so much that the other chain grocery stores don't carry. They don't have a large variety of grass-fed meats, but what they do have is at least cheaper than Whole Foods.

And I won't lie and say I haven't thoroughly enjoyed their hot Asian bar/buffet for lunch many times in the past!

That is a great deal on the eggs. I paid $3.99 for a dozen organic brown eggs, just plain ol' raw ones!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 07:17

Plan: Keto
Stats: 194/159/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Ah, I grew up in Webster, and I still miss the white hots, but not the endless gray winters.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 08:36

Plan: Gary Taubes
Stats: 428/363/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Wegman's rules. Their selection and prices are just out of this world. I love their produce section, their meat counter, and I won't buy fish from anywhere else. And the store brand is excellent and a real deal.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 09:13

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

A supermarket I get groceries from used to have hard boiled eggs at their salad bar along with olives, real bacon bits, and shredded cheese. At one time it was something like $1.69 a pound. I used to see people taking whole trays of boiled eggs and shredded cheese. The salad bar price went up substantially about 6 months after the started it. My guess is people figured out the grated Parmesan cheese for $1.69 a pound was quite the bargain, among others.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 07:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldade55
Ah, I grew up in Webster, and I still miss the white hots, but not the endless gray winters.

Oh, for heaven's sake! It's a small world isn't it? A whole family of my cousins (there were nine in one family) grew up near/in Webster. It's not exactly Floridian here in NE Indiana either...but I tried living in the Southwest about 34 years ago, and was homesick for not just the snow/change of season, but for the way the people would 'respond' to one another too. I'm from a little town called Hornell. I'm sure you know it.

No longer a railroad town, and the 'famous actor' from there ran with all of us, but I live quite close to a railroad tracks now and although DH complains of the noise, it lulls me to sleep.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 08:11

BF:

Sure, I know Hornell. I do not think I would do well in a really warm climate either.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 09:00

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I grew up in Pittsford, but thankfully "Weggies", as we always called it, has expanded southward to Maryland where my brother lives. So I visit Weggies whenever I visit him.

There must be some sort of industrial egg-sheller that can produce such large quantities - I wish someone would invent a home version!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Duke University Lifestyle
Stats: 221.5/201.5/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I live in Webster, just 2 miles from the Holt Rd Wegman's. I love Weg! I often get their prepared food (chicken breasts and veggies, for example) as well as their ready-to-cook stuff. And white hots? Yum!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 04:48

BF:

White hots? I'm obviously missing something - don't know what those are, and I shop at Wegmans semi-regularly year-round.

I grew up in CT and could also not handle living anyplace where it's warm nearly year-round. My husband has more than once mentioned moving to the Atanta area, but I immeduately veto every time!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 07:42

BF:

White hots are a regional food peculiar to western New York, and not to Wegman's in particular. They are a white hot dog with a distinctive taste. If you live in CT, you have certainly never seen one.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 08:34

BF:

I've been known to send sympathy cards to people who've never had a White Hot. (And here's the thing: I don't especially love hot dogs, or bratwurst...but white hots are just in a catagory alllll their own...maybe it's just the 'I miss home and these remind me of Ma and Dad and easier, worry free times'.).

Zwiegle's (company famous for making them) should just rename them 'memories in a casing' for me, lol.

Years back, it was illegal to transport them out of the area (and not the whole state, just that 'area') they were indiginous to/made in. Truckers could be fined if they were found contraband (this is true, I've actually researched this). Nowadays, with the advent of the neenernet, you can buy them online and have them cold packed/shipped.

Anytime I'm 'in advocate mode' with someone from that area and they are mentioning heading to/through/even close to my area now, I'm apt to 'wheedle' them to pack a few in a small cold case on ice for me. I once received a small pack for Christmas with no one's return addy on it (so, if you're reading this...thank you so much!).