Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 15:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/180/160 Male 175
BF:
Progress:
Smile Where to get low carb foods in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi to everyone,

I'm new to all of this and just purchased the "atkins new diet revolution" book about a month ago.

I am wondering if anyone here would know where I could buy low carb foods in Ottawa. Are there any specialty stores?

I am also wondering where to buy bake mixes for breakfast recipes.

Is there any difference between low carb bake mixes and how about the Atkins brand bake mix? Which is best? Where do I buy? All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Dan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 20:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

Hi Dan and welcome. I have tried the Atkins and Carbsense bake mixes and since they are made with soy protein, I find I taste the soy which I don't like. Plus these mixes are hard to work with - for example, they don't stick to meat if you want to use the mix as a breading/coating.

There is a new revolutionary product on the market - called Carbquik. It works JUST like Bisquik, and although I never was a Betty Crocker fan, after LCing it for 3 years now (I am a type 1 diabetic), Betty's foods now taste pretty terrific in my opinion.

This product makes great recipes and you can check out the recipes at www.carbalose.com. That website can direct you to who sells it in Canada.

Good Luck and keep up the good work!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 14:10

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Steph Z. Sounds good, I'll give it a try.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb-My Version
Stats: 278.5/000.0/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 217%

Hi Dan:
First of all you are on the right track by joining this forum. I have found most of my questions answered right here.
I have found LC products in Loblaws, Farmboy, LOEB, Walmart and Costco. Sometimes it takes a little looking, but it's there. There is Carb Options at most grocery stores now. My favorite is their Ketchup (even fools the kids) and the Hickory BBQ sauce. Walmart carries some Atkins bars and muffin/brownie mixes. I do most of my shopping at Costco, so if you have a membership there they have Tortilla wraps, Pita's, Atkins bars, shakes (tasted this and didn't like it) and in the summer they had the Atkins Chocolate covered Ice Cream on a stick which I found really good. Also at Costco they have large bags of nut that are a good price and I recently tried the jar of Almond Butter (Maranatha, found by the peanut butter) that's not too bad either.
I hope this helps.

steph z: Thanks for the heads up on the Carbquik. I hear this stuff is amazing. I have never ordered from the Carb Food Depot. Is there anything else I should be ordering when I order the Carbquik. Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 14:36

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Mumof4boys. I was offered a costco membership through work just a couple of days ago. I think I'll sign up and check it out as well. Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 18:22

Plan: PP/Atkins/Transformation
Stats: 305/264/220 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I find Walmart a good resource as well for the Atkins mixes a few dollars less than GNC or Health food stores. Their pancake mix can be altered and used for many things like coatings, loaf cake bases, etc..
Costco, as mentioned has some great items but they don't always have them and rotate choices often. They do have Oddessy bars, a great Soy Chip at 20 large chips for 6 ECC, a great deal on Weider Whey powder, and a great choice on meats.
GNC on Bank used to be one of my favorites for new products but they have been closed for renovations for almost 2 months and all teh staff have been let go. It offered much more variety than the other GNC's in town.