Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 09:01

Plan: My OWN general LC!
Stats: 146/141.5/115 Female 5ft4in
BF:not sure!
Progress: 15%
Talking Marriages saved?

I had a sudden thought yesterday! I became curious to see how many marriages LC dieting has "saved"! I know there are always "non-believers" out there (me being one) that what we eat effects our lives so much. I personally never had to "go on a diet" before. My main reason for starting a LC diet was because of all the candida symptoms! I was miserable and FED UP with the extreeme fatigue, daily cranky-snappy-"angry all the time" attitude, and sooo much more. that I HAD to do something for my own sanity as well as I don't want my kids to learn that is the way you treat people etc. So when I looked into the products, etc. to treat candida the all SUGGEST a LC no sugar diet. to make it work better. I decided to give it a whirl-why not I need to lose 31 lbs of baby fat anyway. I must say after my 1st week, I am not crawling to the kitchen to make a bottle ea morning, nor taking "afternoon naps" everyday, sleeping a little better (not waking up and looking at the clock evry other hr-and never knew it had something to do with food!), my mind doesn't seem so "wild" that every little thing drives me Nuts-o! And it seems from the things I have read that these are just a few of the things that begin to improve (or as I would like to call it: re-normalize) .
SO THAT GOT ME TO THINKING: I WONDER HOW MANY AMRRIAGES HAVE BEEN SAVED NOW THAT THEIR SPOUSE (OR BOTH) HAVE STARTED LCing AND THEIR LIVES ARE NOW IMPROVING?
WHAT DO YOU THINK
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 09:19

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Maybe as many as are lost?

IMcold-mindedO, seems many people like things just the way they are and it is change of any sort that can prove fatal to a relationship. Could be different when the "problem" is of relatively short-term duration and LC fixes it.

It's pretty common knowledge that alcoholic marriages break up as much because one party quits drinking as because one party was drinking too much.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 10:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/140/125 Female 66 inches
BF:22% and shrinking
Progress: 0%

I would hope that someones partner would love them no matter what their size and shape and just be supportive to their LC way of life. Not that by losing weight would fix it as you should love your partner no matter what.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 10:30

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I don't know that it's "saved" my marriage since actually we've always done pretty fantastic. However, I believe it has improved the state of my marriage quite a lot.

After being married for many years I think any positive change that shakes things up a bit is helpful -- it gets us focused on each other more and out of the day-to-day rut. In addition I don't think it's hurt anything that my husband -- who has always told me how beautiful and sexy I was -- really thinks I'm HOT now!!

Being less inhibited as far as his seeing me naked, feeling more confident in my own skin, choosing clothes that accentuate the positive rather than just hiding and covering up...and these have helped and all these things have come about as a result of my weight loss and increased health.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 10:32

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 138.5/138.5/125 Female 65
BF:

I think what she means by saving marriages is that by LCing your attitude is brighter and not as cranky meaning less fighting. Just my opinion.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 11:23

you got it alison! my hubby says the same thing, but i do get what some people feel about how they feel better about them selves too. but I was generally talking about the emotional high etc. and less "un called for" arguments or what have you. I would just snap for "no reason"-like mr. remote man not turning it down on commercials and waking the baby up-pay attention-blah blah. and now i "take more things in stride" it seems. maybe i am just crazy and others have always had great moods or not noticed a positive mood shift relating to LCing.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I wouldn't say it's saved my marriage.. but it's done a hell of a lot for me healthwise, self esteem wise, MOOD wise, brain wise (my brain functions better on low carb) - and I feel like that in turn has helped me be a BETTER me to offer my husband. It is certainly a positive contributing factor in an indirect way.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 08:04

way to go meg! glad to see/know that you "feel' improvement! that is a positive/ gives me more hope for the future!
ps-what a pretty lady you are!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 09:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/207/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Quote:
my husband -- who has always told me how beautiful and sexy I was -- really thinks I'm HOT now!!

My hubby is the same way..he won't leave me alone..he follows me around the house all googly-eyed!! He's always loved me no matter what and I am the same way towards him. However, he likes the fact that I am taking control and trying to make a difference for the better. I like it!