Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 11:49

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Carb Fit products eliminated

Extracted from :http://www.foodingredientsfirst.com...te=AO545&next=2

"Hain Celestial said that among the SKUs being eliminated from the Company's active product list are the Carb Fit low carbohydrate brand of products, which have been impacted by the recent decline in demand for low carbohydrate products across the food sector..."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 16:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/125 Female 5'5"
BF:44/44/20
Progress: 0%

Seems to be a trend going on here. What with Atkins removing all their products from Great Brit...who's next?

I think people are not giving low-carb a "lifestyle" but more a "diet" label, which is probably why it is not working for them.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 17:44
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Last time I went to visit my health food store I found that they have eliminated all low carb products. I asked the manager why, he said that sales of low carb products are low. This store has been the first in my area to introduce low carb products in 2003 and used to carry a large inventory of them.

At the same time. weight watcher's products are growing. When WW started making Ice cream and cheese cake in 2003, I thought they will not be able to sell them since their low calorie dieters cannot lose weight if they eat such products, but I was wrong. They seem to find plenty of buyers!

So what is going on? Is everybody crazy? Last statistics I heared of indicated that 97% of WW dieters gain their weights back in less than 5 years. I have been yoyo dieting for 25 years until I used Atkins diet. Last 2 years have been the only 2 years in my life during which my weight stayed the same.

Maybe low carbers have become smart enough to understand that they should avoid processed foods. Or maybe the foolishness of low carb food manufacturers who never want to make anything without sugar alcohol is the reason.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 21:27

Stats: 204/156/124 Female 5'1"
BF:BMI 38.5/30/23.4
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel
Maybe low carbers have become smart enough to understand that they should avoid processed foods. Or maybe the foolishness of low carb food manufacturers who never want to make anything without sugar alcohol is the reason.

There is your answer right there. Add to this that all of us who used to overeat now eat less and the market for these products is just not high. Personally I avoid anything that is processed now. I like real food better.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 22:48

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Maybe low carbers have become smart enough to understand that they should avoid processed foods.

Amen! Don't get me wrong, some of those foods were great, but they were just low carb subs for the stuff we need to stay away from in order to get our weight off. Eating clean until reaching goal is the best bet, because by then good eating habits have been formed! Now, Breyers is making it hard with the incredible ice creams they have come out with! I keep that stuff in the frig in our garage which isn't attached to our house so that I am not tempted to get into it at night! We live out in the country, you see, and at night it gets pretty spooky...especially when the guys are all in bed! Now, if I kept it in the house...well the guys would more than likely finish it all off before me! I guess either way I wouldn't get much of it!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 10:25

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I buy lots of low carb products: meat, eggs, cheese, vegetables...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 11:31

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i also think that LCer's are getting smarter about developing their own real food alternatives and have stopped relying on pre-made substitutes.

We have developed our own recipes which allow us to know exactly what's in the food we're eating. We are now into nuturing ourselves with great homemade food. Clean and delicious food!

What a concept!

People 150 years ago would be shocked at how people have become reliant on pre-packaged foods. They probably would never have imagined that people would NOT be making their own food in the 21st century....

Deb
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Last time I went to visit my health food store I found that they have eliminated all low carb products. I asked the manager why, he said that sales of low carb products are low. This store has been the first in my area to introduce low carb products in 2003 and used to carry a large inventory of them.

At the same time. weight watcher's products are growing. When WW started making Ice cream and cheese cake in 2003, I thought they will not be able to sell them since their low calorie dieters cannot lose weight if they eat such products, but I was wrong. They seem to find plenty of buyers!

So what is going on? Is everybody crazy? Last statistics I heared of indicated that 97% of WW dieters gain their weights back in less than 5 years. I have been yoyo dieting for 25 years until I used Atkins diet. Last 2 years have been the only 2 years in my life during which my weight stayed the same.

I look at it this way. The sort of dieter - no matter what plan he or she is on - who will eat food that comes in a box as a dietary staple, is not the sort of dieter who is showing a willingness to make a real change. The buying boxed food implies so much. It says of a lack of willingness to learn a new way to eat, or change... it shows a desire for fast, easy results and keeping weight off is anything but fast or easy. While willingness to change alone won't cause you to drop weight (without finding the right plan it's meaningless, you can't fit a round peg in a square hole), it is most definitely a prerequisite. Without this no matter what plan you're on, even one that may be working for you (example, a carb sensitive person on low carb), will not result in long term success.

High boxed food consumption pretty much correlates with lack of dedication/motivation. Therefore, diet "trends" will always come and go leaving a glut of expired processed foods in their wake. Some of those trends may actually be on to something. Most things that become trends and fads usually started out with something good... it's why they were so popular!
It's the search for profit and exploitation of those who really can't appreciate it (the yo yo crowd) that ruins a thing. Those who were doing it because it was the faddish way to lose weight quickly at the time, but weren't actually ready to make a change... they won't stick with it forever. They were the ones fueling the products. The ones who were on atkins eating bars every day for several meals a day are going to be on southbeach eating their bars now, or some other low glycemic plan, or weight watchers. Since there just isn't that much money in it anymore (because the yo yo dieters are now interested in other plans) low carb products are going to decline greatly.

I just hope I can still find sugar free ketchup. My home made version was not nearly as good and I LOVE ketchup.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
Amen! Don't get me wrong, some of those foods were great, but they were just low carb subs for the stuff we need to stay away from in order to get our weight off. Eating clean until reaching goal is the best bet, because by then good eating habits have been formed! Now, Breyers is making it hard with the incredible ice creams they have come out with! I keep that stuff in the frig in our garage which isn't attached to our house so that I am not tempted to get into it at night! We live out in the country, you see, and at night it gets pretty spooky...especially when the guys are all in bed! Now, if I kept it in the house...well the guys would more than likely finish it all off before me! I guess either way I wouldn't get much of it!

That ice cream is SOOO good.
The problem I have isn't portion size. It's that any time I eat something that is junk food and totally devoid of nutrition, like low carb ice cream, I feel guilty. I have a finite amount of calories to consume (carbs aren't really an issue with this product)... and for my "dessert" I am allotted really not much more than 300 (ideally it should be just over 200). It makes me feel guilty if I choose the carbsmart with a token berry and token walnut, with whipped cream and sugar free cookies ... INSTEAD of something healthy like cottage cheese or half portion natural yogurt brimming with mixed berries and nuts. It's just really hard to justify that seeing as both taste so good but one is all empty calories and the other not. So why eat the junkfood, just because it's junkfood and we're SUPPOSED to want to eat it? Why is it we are SUPPOSED to want food like that, anyway... personally I am just as satisfied with yogurt if not more so since I can eat a larger portion of it. I think it's industry propaganda, makes us feel our lives aren't complete unless we have "sinful indulgences".

Anyway, as a result I wind up eating very little of the ice cream, it's just sitting in my fridge useless. I eat healthy desserts instead.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 12:36

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Anyway, as a result I wind up eating very little of the ice cream, it's just sitting in my fridge useless. I eat healthy desserts instead.

I prefer the healthier choices as well, but do on occassion indulge! Do I crave the stuff? No way! If I did then going up to the garage in the middle of the night wouldn't be a problem at all! I have gotten to where I honestly don't crave a thing!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 13:23

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
... INSTEAD of something healthy like cottage cheese or half portion natural yogurt brimming with mixed berries and nuts.

You should get the best of both worlds and make yourself some yogurt ice cream. Sugar free ice cream doesn't keep at all, so you can buy these little hand cranked ice cream makers that make just one portion at a time.

There was a dessert that I used to make with heavy cream that was excellent and that might work with yogurt. I put a portion of heavy cream and a portion of frozen rasberries in a food processor and gave it a whirl. It turns into a wonderful frozen dessert that taste a lot like soft serve. If the ice cream is too stiff you can add more cream, if it's too liquid add more rasberries.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 15:15

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Well, I kinda have mixed feelings about some of the discussions on this thread. If you want to eat healthy unprocessed foods, it takes *time* to prepare them. In an ideal world, we would have all the time we need to prepare healthy nutritious meals for ourselves and our families.

The reality is that we don't always have the time. And I think that is where processed prepared LC food should have a niche. I like to pack an LC shake in my lunchbox, and cottage cheese (whom some might also consider a frankenfood), with some DaVinci syrup flavoring. That's because very often, I don't have *time* to mess around with preparing meals at (or before) work.

People who use a great deal of processed LC products on the other hand, are probably risking failure - and for the same reason they got overweight eating non-LC processed foods. It's just not that good for you. Still, it's better than non LC junk!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I'm starting to think it's an industry wide conspiracy. Protein is expensive when it comes to junk food. For awhile the Doritos Edge low-carb chips were available and I liked em. They were hard to find, always sold out. When I did find them I'd buy five bags at least. Now they are not to be found anymore. I don't get it... they were always SOLD OUT. And they cost the most, I'm sure the profit margin was much higher for the regular chips. Yet there are always plenty of bags of the low-fat baked junk. More and more low carb alternatives are vanishing every day. Only ice cream seems to be surging. Safeway now even has their own label for it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 18:09

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I know, I know...

There are only a few LC-specific products I really rely on, but I like 'em and I don't want them to go away!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 11:23

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Low-carb ice cream is interesting, because it usually low-fat as well.