Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 08:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Paris Olympics goes meat-free: Good for the planet or good business?

Quote:
Paris Olympics goes meat-free: Good for the planet or good business?

Organisers of the upcoming Paris Olympics have announced 60% of the food served will be meat-free.

The move is in a bid to reduce the event's carbon footprint and will offer more vegetarian cuisine than in any other games.

"Paris 2024's ambition for the games is to use the knowledge and creativity of French cuisine to create more responsible eating habits in stadiums and during sports events," organisers say.

Irish Farmers' Association Limerick branch chair Sean Lavery told Newstalk Breakfast it is a business arrangement rather than a health one.

"I think it's a purely aspirational move by the Paris Olympic Committee," he said.

"They've mandated that 60% of the food provided will be meat-free; but it's really tied in with a commercial arrangement between the Olympics and a company called Garden Gourmet who are a subsidiary of Nestlé.

"The whole meat-free and meat-substitute business is struggling and Nestlé have made a big punt of convincing the organisers to supply meat-free food."

'Disenfranchising choice'

Mr Lavery said he doubts the veracity of the 60% claim for the Paris Olympics.

"In reality only about 4% of the population are vegan or non-meat eaters," he said.

"So they're actually disenfranchising choice for a massive number of competitors at the Olympics".

Happy Food at Home owner Ciara Brennan said something has to change.

"I think there's been enough studies out there, and enough documentaries, to prove that the pollution that is provided by farming with meat products [and] poultry is disgraceful," she said.

"We need to do some change for the better for this Earth."

Ms Brennan said she believes more than 4% of the population is moving towards meat-free diets.

"I believe people are shifting - whether they're shifting 100% or not - they're actually making a conscious effort to improve their health by eating more plants and more fruits," she said.

Mr Lavery said the amount of supermarket space being given over to non-meat products has fallen.

"The number of spacings for vegan food and meat substitutes have actually halved in the last two years," he said.

"The prominent companies doing meat substitutes, like Impossible Foods and all of those, they're all struggling financially.

"Beyond Meat in the first quarter of 2024 have an 18% drop revenue [and] an 16% drop in volume of products sold".

Ms Brennan said the point is about people's health rather than profits.

"It's not about greed; it's actually about moving us forward so that the next generation can actually survive and that they will have an Earth to survive on," she added.

During the two 15-day periods of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Paris 2024 will serve over 13 million meals.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/paris...usiness-1724644

Quote:
Meat Limited at Paris Olympics

If I were an Olympic athlete, I would be pissed off right now. The motto of the Paris Olympics: more French, more local, less meat. First, the good news, getting more locally produced food is fantastic, and I think it should always be a priority:

Under the Paris 2024 "Food Vision," a quarter of the food supplied to athletes must be produced less than 250 kilometers from the place of competition to reduce carbon emissions from transporting fresh produce. French produce is also prioritized, with a goal of 80% of the food provided being made in France.

However, we see another example of meat being vilified (instead of limiting, they could choose to source from local ranchers). Athletes require a high protein diet for muscle recovery, and Olympic athletes even more. Imagine the unnecessary added stress the athletes have to deal with now trying to figure out how to obtain their protein macros.

Do you think athletic performance will be the same as previous games? We'll soon find out!

https://yes2meat.substack.com/p/mea...-paris-olympics

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 10:44

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Of all the lame-brained...

So only a little over 5 million of the 13 million meals will have any meat at all.

If I read it correctly, at least it doesn't sound strictly vegan, just vegetarian.

I hope they're providing tons of dairy and eggs to compensate for the lack of meat protein for the athletes.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 18:03

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm sure the athletes will pack in a lot of whey protein powder.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-24, 08:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

How stupid!!!! Athletes need MORE meat not less 😤.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-24, 10:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

Here is the official Paris 2024 Olympics "Food Vision" booklet (pdf) .. https://medias.paris2024.org/upload...N-Eng-BDEF2.pdf

Most of these meat-free options (not necessarily 100% plant based) will be offered to the public outside of the Athletes' Village. Mostly at surrounding cafés, restaurants and kiosks serving non-athlete attendees .. spectators, media, volunteers etc. And maybe athletes who want to celebrate post-competition.

Athletes' nutrition will not be compromised. They will be offered vegetarian meals alongside meat-based meals, but those will be completely optional. Each country's Olympic team has at least one nutritionist on staff, who will ensure their athletes get exactly what they want and need for training, recovery and competition.

Quote:
THE ATHLETES’ VILLAGE, THE LARGEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD

The Village is where the athletes will spend much of their time and offers a unique experience. It is where they will eat, sleep, take care of themselves, prepare for competitions, recover and celebrate. In collaboration with Sodexo Live!, the Village’s catering services must, above all, meet the needs of athletes from 208 countries and regions 24/7, all while satisfying the nutritional requirements specific to each sport and aligning with diverse cultural practices. But the Village must also enable everyone, when not competing or training, to discover French cuisine, which many of them will not have an opportunity to try outside of the competition venues. At the other Villages, a similar offer will be available to ensure all the athletes access an equivalent level of service.

< snip >

ATHLETES AND THEIR TEAMS

After years of preparation, 15,000 Olympic and Paralympic athletes will come to the Games, each representing one of 208 countries or regions, with the aim of winning medals and experiencing the exceptional and unique tmosphere of the Athletes’ Village. The athletes will closely study their food intake during their stay, which may last anywhere between 5 and 30 days, eating at least three meals a day. They will be looking to satisfy their specific dietary needs and follow the culinary customs of their countries and cultures while paying attention to nutrition and allergens. We will therefore focus on implementing a reliable, smooth and diverse offering that enables them to perform in the best possible conditions.

It seems much of the hype about Paris 2024 going vegan is just that .. hype, not fact
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-24, 10:57

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

At least it's not vegan.

And it's only the audience attendees that will be subjected to 60% meat-free vegetarian food availability.

I wonder how many attendees will go outside the area to get some real French food with real butter and real meat - I mean why would anyone go to Paris... PARIS!!! and decide Yeah sure it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to eat all the wonderful French cuisine, but I think I'll skip eating meat and just eat vegetarian while I'm here.

Last edited by Calianna : Mon, Jun-17-24 at 11:54.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-24, 12:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I wonder how many attendees will go outside the area to get some real French food with real butter and real meat - I mean why would anyone go to Paris... PARIS!!! and decide Yeah sure it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to eat all the wonderful French cuisine, but I think I'll skip eating meat and just eat vegetarian while I'm here.
Exactly!

I've been to Paris many times, and one of the most memorable meals I had was steak tartare when I was fourteen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-24, 07:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Lol, that's about the time I first had steak tartare. Maybe it was the thing I the US at that time.

Dr Chaffee often talks about his years playing ball, and compares his performance with carbs and without. Noticeably better recovery and such on meat.