Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/198/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Unsupportive Family?

So i have an issues... If this int the right board to post it on, some one please let me know.

I started atkins last week, while my husband was out of town for work. Figured it would make cooking easier if i could figure it out ahead of time and he wouldnt feel "hassled" by my choice. All weekend all i heard from him was how it was never going to work if I wasnt working out every day too..... I am a baby steps kind of girl. I quit smoking 4 weeks ago after 15 years. Two weeks ago I gave up sodas. I am making baby steps in the right direction.

How do i ask him to be more supportive? Right now all i want to do is cry.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 14:31

BF:

Oh and i spent all of spring break with him in the hospital with a diverticulitus attack because he wasnt eating right. Found out in March that my Mom has cancer so i am doing chemo with her every 14 days. I am currently on Lexapro for depression. My doctor has some concerns about my last physical and blood work and i just started a new job in february.... So im sort of stressed and at the end of my rope. Im have been exhausted all week, not sure if its from giving up sugars and carbs or just a mix of everything else. I would just really not want to have a desire to punch him in the throat every time he opens his mouth lol.

Any tips?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 15:11
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Go ahead and punch him in the mouth... but not with your fist. Do it by showing him that he is wrong. I have lost over 40 lbs and have only just recently started to work out. Your 'baby steps' sound like pretty big steps to me. Be proud of that. And do what you need to do to keep on track.

I have lack of support issues as well (although perhaps not to the same extent as you) -- and I've pretty much had to learn to deal with it myself. Sometimes I used to think that my wife was intentionally sabotaging my efforts. Perhaps she was -- for reasons I don't understand. But with help and information from this forum, I'm learning to deal with my weight problem by myself and for myself. Be strong. You can do it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 15:15

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree that your baby steps are HUGE!!!! Don't let your husband derail you - maybe he is feeling insecure because you are making all these positive changes and he isn't.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 15:17

Stats: 238.6/196.6/170 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I agree.... proof is in the pudding

40 lbs in 4 months here

Hubby supports me fully (thankfully)
I've done it before and he saw how well my body reacted to taking away carbs.

I bet your hubby will quickly change his mind when he sees the pounds come off you.

Stay strong... after all you're doing this for yourself, no one else
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 16:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Those aren't baby steps! They're huge steps. Celebrate them!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 16:13

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

While it's not very constructive to say so: I'd kick his butt - maybe even to the curb - if the kinder gentler approach of asking him for a bit more support didn't work.
But that's just me.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 16:17

BF:

We have been married 19 years in July.... Pretty sure the return policy on him has expired, even if i COULD find my receipt. Lol. He is a BIG "eat lots of tuna, chicken and brown rice" kind of guy. Then work out 6 days a week. I just cant do that and have tried and failed to many times to even count. I have explained to him that exercise is in my plans.... In the future, just not today. I just wish for a LITTLE support.

Thank you all for replying.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 16:21

Stats: 238.6/196.6/170 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 61%

If you quit smoking after 15 years... well girlie, I bet you can do this
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 16:27

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonBUr
...I just wish for a LITTLE support...

This is anecdotal, and will not change anyone's mind if you actually tell him, but here goes:
I lost a bunch of weight (successfully, and kept it all off for nearly 6 years), got pregnant, got sick and slowly got better. 7 years later and I've worked my way to a point where I could start weight loss and exercise again.
Here's the concept to get across: If you can't manage your weight without exercise - what happens to you if you do get ill or something prevents you from using exercise to manipulate your weight loss?
If you've been with him for 19 years, you both know that neither of you are getting any younger, so that is a solid point of contention as well.
At the end of the day - he's either respectful of you or he isn't.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 16:47

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Some people have a very hard time understanding that what works for them does not work for other people.

If I hear one more person say, "I just cut out dessert and take walks at lunch..." I will struggle against mayhem.

Just do what you want to do... and have the last laugh.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 17:29

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

It sounds really negative, him saying "it's never gonna work" that's a really terrible thing to say to someone. I would tell him that if he can't bring himself to support you, then to please refrain from putting down your efforts, at least. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all." It's not up to him how you do this, it's your journey, not his, he should stop trying to control you. It's almost as if he's trying to sabotage your efforts.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 17:32
Registered Member

Stats: 280/280/150 Female 5 ft  3 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress:

My goodness girl, take this from someone who's been around the block a few times. You are caring a heavy load. Quiting smoking, starting a diet, starting a new job, mom is very ill, and on top of it, a husband who is negitave and somewhat of a know it all on what is best for you. Only you know what is best for you, and when you get ready and feel up to it, then you go ahead and exercise at your pace. I really liked Khrussa reply. Look how great he is doing, and the others on this forum. I have been married 56 years, and my hubby is from the old school. I cook a large meal for him every day. I bake cakes, pies and anything else he enjoys. What I had to do is get the strength not to eat these things that are so tempting. I have issues with gluten, flour, sugar, yeast. I have fallen off the wagon many times in the past. I finally got it through my head to take care of myself, and put my needs top prority. Oh, I'll still cook for him and continue to make him happy, but I'll eat seperate if needed, because I want to make me happy too, and being close to 300 pounds on a small frame, does not make one happy. Sometimes, spouses sabotage their mates efforts because they become insincure about changes in their loved ones. They want them to suceed, but on the other hand, they want to keep them just as they are for fear their going to look good and things could change in their relationship. I will say, my hubby always tells me how beautiful I am, and has never made my weight an issue. So young lady, look into the mirror and go make yourself beautiful, relax and enjoy yourself. Put some happy music on and put a deaf ear to anyone who is negative. There was a song ( I think it was in the 80ties) " I am woman, hear me roar". Find it, play it, and you go roar.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 18:14

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

***FIRST OFF*** it works for **MANY** people who never do a lick of exercise during their weight loss. In fact trying to work out six days a week can even impede your weight loss in many cases. I've lost touch with her but had a friend who had lost 170 pounds on low carb and been maintaining for 6 years last time we were in touch. She said that for the first 100 pounds the only exercise she got was walking back and forth to the fridge.

After losing 100 she finally began to feel like she wanted to exercise a bit, and began doing so. But at one point during teh last 70 pounds she had a LONG stall. She tried a few things but what finally broke the stall was cutting down exercise from 5 days a week to 2 days a week. When she cut out a bunch of exercise she finally began losing again. So tell your husband to put that in his pipe and smoke it!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 18:15

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

First off, let me tell you something that may even out your emotions (yes, I know they are raw...but this will help get you a leg up on induction/lowcarb). Drink broth twice a day..without fail, work this into your plan, no matter what. It helps with the queesyness, wobbly legs, want to cry stuff from the lowering of carbs and will help with the 'anger and frustration' from the diuretic effect of losing all that water (after the water, you'll lose fat, dont' despair).

Now, you CAN do this, with or without the support of your husband. See my stats. During my first six months of lowcarbing my hubby made comments on my way of eating every day, sometimes more than ten times. I also got to hear what his 'friends, family, co workers' thought.

He does not share in my way of eating. He doesn't HAVE to, we aren't joined at the hip, we're different people. I do the cooking, so he gets the same protein, while I add a starch/tater for him, and extra low carb veg for both.

I was the one who underwent huge changes...I am disabled, and the weight I carried disabled me further. The best way to change your husband's mind is to NOT cheat (cuz you want a cholesterol and glucose test after six months of solid lowcarb..NO cheats..even a mouthfull will throw off the test results, and you'll want those to SHOVE in his face (and anyone else's who poo poohed your way of eating).

YOU CAN do this. I'm proof...I started my journey in 2000, and by 2002, I was at goal. I am disabled, I've had cancer twice (and my oncologist, my pulmonologist and my cardiologist are all convinced it's never coming back because I starve it by eating low carb). I have multiple autoimmune diseases...but...by far, I am still healthier than my low fatting friends...of all ages.

I have convinced so MANY people to low carb...just by watching me...as I succeed. I also quit smoking just DAYS before I started my low carb journey.

You have heart...and soul...and beauty...now you go and succeed!! EVERY single person here will help you...all you have to do is ask...ask away!!! You have a sea of lowcarbers behind you, we got your back..now get out there and FIGHT!