Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 09:07
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default What did you learn this week?

This is the first day of week 2 for me on Atkins and as I was writing in my journal, I realized I had learned a whole bunch of things. I imagine the learning keeps on forever and so i was wondering what other folks (new or not) had learned this week.

Here are a few of the things on my list (the rest are in my journal) for this week:
  • The information on the web is great, but I needed the book. In my case it was Atkins Diabetes Revolution, but I ordered DANDR too.
  • Fitday helps a whole lot. I am sure that as this really does become my WOL I will need it less, but right now it is the only way I can really track my carbs, fats, and proteins.
  • Atkins may not be about measuring for some people, but it is for me at this point. I am totally clueless about what 1 ounce of cheese looks like. Buying a diet scale is helping me learn that.
  • The best motivator for me is reading other people's journals. When all you read are the message boards, it seems like people are either in induction because they just started, or are going back to induction because they goofed up. Not that there aren't some posts of course from people who are maintaining or at other stages, but there are a whole lot of the others. Reading the journals helps me see people who have really worked the program, gradually adding in carbs 5 grams at a time. Seeing people pick themselves up again after they have temporarily fallen off the wagon really helps too.
  • People here will be friendly and helpful if you are friendly and helpful too. No one can do this alone, and as wonderful as my friends are, it takes a lowcarber to really understand and appreciate what this is all about.

Wow, it sure feels good to be losing and learning!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 05:44
Registered Member

Plan: Low-carb/south beach
Stats: 194/159/155 Female 67inches
BF:????
Progress: 90%

I agree with you on all of the above! I have learned all of those lessons also. Fitday is a GREAT tool in the beginning until you get used to your new way of life. I don't use it too much now, but when I do decide to go in and just check what I've eaten for a day, I'm usually right on with my carbs, protein and fat percentages.
I guess the number one thing that I've learned lately is.....
Just RELAX! I know what I'm doing is eventually going to bring me to my goal weight. I don't stress about the numbers not moving on the scale fast enough for me anymore. This way of life works very well when you get past the first month and get into a groove. My way of life seems NORMAL to me know. I don't even feel like I'm on a diet and I'm steady losing a lb. a week (2 lbs. this week) and it feels GREAT! I see the other girls at work trying to eat "Low fat" to lose weight. Their eating a little salad and a diet soda, while I'm feasting on an 8oz. grilled tuna steak and a caesar salad with chicken strips and freshly grated parmesan cheese. MmMm good! They swear they could NEVER,EVER live without bread, potatoes and pasta, so they do every diet they can find to try to keep the weight off. If only they would listen to me, they would realize how easy it really is. I think I'll win them over eventually, though.