Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 05:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Smile low carb junk foods

for anyone hasnt took the time to read dr atkins book..... nowhere in it does he tell people to eat lc junk foods such as candy bars, shakes or breads during induction... and if you have to choose between lc crap or vegs. eat your vegs and you will lose body fat.. atkins works
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 05:41

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I totally agree with eating veggies over junk food, but I do think there's something in DANDR (not sure of page, toward the back, I'm at work so I can't look it up ) where he says there's getting to be a variety of LC foods out there like mixes and bars to add variety to your day.... I'll see if I can find it and come back...

Nicole

ps - I still agree with your post, tho
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 05:50
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I am not sure if its in the sample induction menu in DANDR that has a bar or a shake every day or if its in one of the other books. In the cookbook even the induction foods require you to have one (or more) of their funky products to use.

Atkins Nutritionals trying to cash out.

I personally dont think LC Junk food should be made a large part of anyones WOE induction or not. Once in a while with a some portion control is fine, but IMO junk food is junk food. LC, LF or any way you want to slice it. Its still there as junk, and part of changing your eating habits is learning to get away from the LC frankenfoods, not supplement LC foods to replace the HC foods you used to eat and continue on the same pattern.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 09:46

Plan: Atkins,SB,GI now!
Stats: 217/206/150 Female 5'4''
BF:i/cant/count
Progress: 16%

LC junk foods dont really help when you're trying to lose weight. They're for people that are already at their weight goal and are consuming 80-90 grams of carbs a day. They can afford to eat a little of the frakenfoods, but not the people that are still in Induction or OWL.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 10:32

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

idontno I'm not sure which Atkins book you are talking about. In DANDR, Chapter 11 the induction phase he does bring up using convenience foods though stressing that primarily unprocessed foods are best. In the chapter on OWL he again brings up the increasing number of convenience lc foods that can be used. In the chapter on why Atkins works Atkins writes "One of my personal wishes has been granted. Today, a person choosing to follow a controlled carbohydrate nutritional approach has almost as many packaged and prepared food options as people who are, unwittingly, following a low-fat diet." I agree with you that whole natural foods are the basis for a healthy lc plan, but I also think good lc products can play an important role also. Everyone is different, and whatever works for you is what you should do. I have found using some of the Advantage bars and shakes helpful with no negative side effects. MMV.

Marie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 11:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

if it works for you no problem marieshops, i just havent found anything healthy about em and s/a can cause some people to stall just like they were eating sugar... and the thought of ten years from now side effects of and artfical sugar could be is not worth it to me. but allways eating your vegs as carbs works for fat loss for me.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 06:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/163/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/25%/23%
Progress: 77%

If I didn't have the LC shakes ( my Favorite ), LC Bars, and Muffin Mixes.....It would be very hard to stay on this long term. I'm at 2 years now.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 20:25
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I agree that a blanket statement that they will stall you is oversimplification. I have taken the time to read it several times, and he does mention using the shakes and bars, and also as Marie said, said he was pleased with the number of products becoming available...and said he could vouch for anything bearing the Atkins name. (Kind of a joke NOW, IMHO...)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 21:31

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

There is a place for the fake foods. When I was struggling on Day 3 of my woe I had some low carb ice cream, just a few bites really helped with cravings.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 23:01
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Here is another thread on much the same argument.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=174665

It's a good read for sure...