Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/270/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Two for one

Hi everyone,

I've been poking around reading thread and thought I better get myself registered and start posting as well as I have a feeling this forum is going to be a big part of my process. I should say our process I guess as both myself and my boyfriend will be doing Atkins.

A bit about us. I'm 38 and just did a weigh in this morning. 270lbs on the nose, uggg! This is the highest I've ever been and I know it'll just keep going up. I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2004 and my doctor told me back then that I needed to follow a low carb lifestyle if I ever expected to lose weight because of how it affects insulin and hormone levels. At the time I usually hovered around 200-220lbs and I didn't like it but I suppose it didn't seem THAT bad to me because I never stuck to it. My mother even started with me back then and stuck to it, she dropped 70lbs and has kept it off all this time. Damn her! LOL. I've tried all sorts of other diets, JC, WW, cabbage soup etc. All those I lost a small amount and then got stuck.

My other half is 35 and his last weigh in a month ago put him at 279lbs. He was always a very active guy in all sports but now suffers from a form of osteo disease (He's never told me the exact name and doesn't get appropriate medical care for it...frustrating!) but it affects him greatly. His spine is literally fractured in one spot and I watch his back become more and more hunched over as time goes by. Of course his weight gain is doing nothing but making it worse. We have both gained a significant amount of weight in only the couple years we have been together.

I think Atkins is something I can keep him on board for. I've tried to stick to diets and failed. I won't blame him because its up to me to stick to something but its a whole lot easier I think if we do it together. And we both need to do this. I do the cooking so as long as I have stuff prepared, thats what he's eating. I already warned him that I'll be issuing random ketostix tests to make sure he hasn't cheated, haha.

We're going out shopping today and starting tomorrow and I'm really excited about this. I would love in a years time for us to be enjoying life more, being more active and not restricted from so much because of our weight. I think we'll reward ourselves with a nice vacation somewhere

Look forward to getting to know you all!

Last edited by BossyBoots : Sun, Jul-01-12 at 11:31.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 11:08

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 325/323/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:-/-/-
Progress: 1%

Welcome - to you and your bf! It is exciting to start on this weight loss program/lifestyle, knowing you are truly going to change your life. Much luck to the both of you.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 11:11
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Welcome!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 11:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 447/190/230 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 118%

Welcome...It sounds like you are committed to lose the weight...It will be great if you are both going to work it together..If your bf is not ready to do it please dont let that stop you it sounds like this is something you really want..good luck you have a lot of people on this forum rooting for you
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 11:40

BF:

Thanks for the welcome guys I'm definitely committed to this. The weight has truly begun affecting my ability and that was the wake up call for me. I notice small things like needed to do the little back and forth rock to get up and my hips hit far too many edges when I think I'm squeezing by something. I had to face it...yes, I have gotten THAT big!!

I think the bf will do ok if he sticks to what I prepare. His one downfall is drinking soda, copious amounts of it. I've made up a huge jug of decaf green tea with a bit of splenda in it so hoping if he's got that handy he'll be ok. I know the withdrawals will be bad for the both of us but if I remember correctly, they only last a few days.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 11:56
Living lighter

Plan: Keto/ no white stuff
Stats: 352/187/220 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 125%

It's great to do this with somebody. My DW and I are doing this together. She is comfortable with "tell me what to eat and I will eat it" and that is working for us at the moment because I do all the cooking. I know she should also be reading books and the forum and do all the extra things to help you succeed. But she is not a reader.

She is doing so great though. I am so proud of her. She's sticking to plan and asking me"so what can I eat tonight?", and then she sticks to it.

I wish you guys all the best. I would like to encourage you by saying that things won't only be better in a year. Things changed for me after a few days of following this WOE. I'm feeling great, my joints are feeling better, I have more energy. Things are really changing.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 12:21

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Welcome to both of you!

Hope you had a fabulous time shopping. I shopping for yummy, healthy foods. It's awesome that your bf is on board with you. I truly wish I could get my dh and boys on board with me. They would be so much healthier.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 12:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 447/190/230 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 118%

You will notice the little things in life that you will enjoy..for example I can now fall asleep on the couch and sleep through the night.. When I was 427 I couldnt even lay on the couch. I can now go in a restaurant and request a booth instead of looking for a chair whith no arms. these are the little things in life people take for granted but I cherish. I dont get to scream to everyone in the restaurant ' HEY EVERYONE LOOK I FIT IN A BOOTH" but I am screaming it to myself and it feels great.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 13:12

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Good for you! My husband is doing Atkins with me and we have both had success but beware...men lose faster so don't get discouraged it's just the way it is, darn them! And you are lucky that your mom will support you because she knows how the plan works.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 15:20

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmrickman
You will notice the little things in life that you will enjoy..for example I can now fall asleep on the couch and sleep through the night.. When I was 427 I couldnt even lay on the couch. I can now go in a restaurant and request a booth instead of looking for a chair whith no arms. these are the little things in life people take for granted but I cherish. I dont get to scream to everyone in the restaurant ' HEY EVERYONE LOOK I FIT IN A BOOTH" but I am screaming it to myself and it feels great.

What a great post! One of my biggies was when I realized that I could take a shower without rubbing up against the wall and the curtain. That was a really good day. And those types of realizations help you stay motivated.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 17:08

BF:

We had breakfast at a restaurant today ad both had to jimmy ourselves in! Those are exactly the things I mean about the weight finally really affecting life. I do remember when I followed Atkins briefly before how quickly my sleeping improved as well as my aching knees. Just got home from doing grocery shopping, so excited to start!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 15:08
Living lighter

Plan: Keto/ no white stuff
Stats: 352/187/220 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 125%

Isn't it just awful when the cold shower curtain hits your body? I'm sure all of us can do with less of that