Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-27-01, 14:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Talking I feel used!

LOL!

Our web site has been cited in a news article, but for the wrong reasons! As you know, we have a huge collection of articles, reseach and studies relating to low-carb. These are listed in a couple of sections, on of which is "Opinions Against Low-Carb" just so that the info presented is objective and all views are represented. Well, they chose only that section to link to our site

However, the article was quite interesting:

http://www.lifetoolz.com/content.asp?Ltz_CId=249

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-27-01, 17:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Smile

At least they acknowledged our site is pro-Lowcarb.

An interesting article -- I especially noted the "cautiious" YMMV stance, as most practitioners who preach the lowFAT, high carb mantra for treating diabetes in EVERYONE.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-28-01, 02:30

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Default what horse stall did they shovel this line from?

"the chance of producing more hypos"???????......lemme tell ya...for those who don't know, normal glucose range is 70-100 mg/dl......my peak sugar (eating TONS of carbs in one sitting) would be around 150-180...2 hours later---i'd bottom out to i measely 30-40...i've been asked how can i be walking around and coherent at my lows (lol)....

since being on a low carb diet my hypoglycemia is no more!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-28-01, 02:31

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:

oops...typo on the norms....70-120 mg/dl...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-28-01, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

Interesting article. I notice Dr. Moffet says with the new insulins, people can have a wider range/amts. of carbos in their diet. Seems to me a fairly typical western medical response, this bias toward the pill or med to treat a condition, when simple diet would address the problem. However, I'd be interested in someone telling me more about 'hypo'--an underproduction of insulin? And, any info on the claim that vitamin pills do not enter the system adequately to supplement shortfalls? And, does vitamin/mineral shortfall apply only to induction i.e. if you are eating around 30-40 carbs and have a reasonable variety of veggies, are you likely to be deficient?

#6   ^
Old Mon, May-28-01, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Cool hypos...

short for Hypoglycemic Episode and usually means the blood sugar has been driven way low (TOO low for the brain to function properly) by a massive insulin spike or surge.

My mom is a 'reactive' or functional hypoglycemic. Fruit Juice, sweets, starches (not balanced or 'overwhelmed' by proteins and/or fats) bring on this reaction for her within minutes, as does caffeine.

Bad news, fragile blood sugar balance.

As for the potential vitamin and nutritional deficiencies, there's a lot of argument about that, but if you follow Atkins Induction for the recommended two weeks, for instance, you're likely getting more and better micronutrients than the averager North American was getting before. Add to that the general recommendation (majority of nutritionists, etc.) that a good multivitamin is good for everyone no matter the food plan, well, it's a waste of air to even discuss as a downside of a lowcarb eating plan.

In my (not so) humble opinion {grin}
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-29-01, 02:47

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

I'm not surprised Diabetes Australia came out against low carbing. They pour mega money into information and communication to the populace and (from our point of view) its all the same old high carb stuff. Thus the difficulty in getting diabetics to 'risk' low carbing, even when it may ultimately save their lives. A very frustrating state of affairs.

However, I had to go and have a medical exam last week before starting work and was sent to a guy who's a top sports medicine physician (NFL and all that kind of stuff) and I told him I was low carbing and he said it was fine, also that the effect of protein on the kidneys was exaggerated unless you are at risk due to various factors so Hooray, the message is getting through slowly.

Nicola