Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Default neater arms needed fast

Hi anyone, I've just bought a sleeveless outfit for my cousin's wedding which is in 9 days time. I could do with improving the look of my upper arms. I don't go to the gym, so don't have access to gym equipment. Will pushups and triceps dips have any effect in that space of time? Is there anything better I could be doing. Thanks for any advice, Jay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:42

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi JayKay,
Gee are we going to the same wedding with the same arms? I put my hand in my sweater and my mother's arm came out!!!!
Really, I have a wedding to attend on July 6th (Matron of Honor!) and I would like my arms to look better but it's such a slow process. You are correct that push ups and dips will help. I use 8-10 pound dumbbells too and I've seen some improvement but not much. I think this is one area that takes a lot of time and effort! Someone posted how our weight/fat loss occurs and this area is the slowest.
Have a great time at the wedding.
Maureen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

They will help JK, but not overnight. Keep in mind that it takes about 6 weeks to 'grow' muscle.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 23:54

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

better get started then! Obviously I'm not going to make much difference by next weekend but I do need to start shaping up, so I'm going to look for a gym. There's only a mens gym in the little town I live in, but we think there is one in the next town, so DH and I are both going to join and keep each other going. Thanks for the advice and replies, Jay
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 18:02

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default just a tip ...

How To Firm up Those Flabby Upper Arms

Women don’t have enough testosterone to build huge muscles but they can use the same effective bodybuilding exercises to shape and trim their arms.

The whole key to one of the very best exercises for shapely upper arms is keeping your elbows up by your ears throughout the exercise. The kneeling tricep extension with a pulley is simply a wonderful exercise for shaping and building beautiful triceps and it doesn't injure the elbows. T

The pulley needs to be about 5 feet off the ground. You'll be kneeling on the ground facing away from the machine. Your elbows are resting on a bench in front of you so you can keep them up by your head.

Okay, now here's the trick in making this exercise super effective. As your arms come back over your head dip the body down so the stretch on the long head of the tricep is even more intense. Also, keep the arms in close to the head throughout the exercise. You should be able to feel your ears with your biceps.

It’s essential the pulley is right about 5 feet high.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 20:34

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi!

Along the same topic....I read the other day in an article about last-minute shaping up for beach season, that going for a run before sporting the bathing suit helps to give temporary definition to the legs. Also a tanned appearance with an application of self-tanning lotion, or some time in the sun or a tanning salon helps to create the illusion of a slimmer, more toned appearance.

I tried this just for kicks and it seemed to work for me...although I may have just felt better for having done it! Maybe the little workout of the leg muscles caused them to retain water or "swell up" a bit getting ready to repair themselves creating a more defined outer appearance? It was definitely a temporary thing however...I definitely felt less "defined" the next day....hmmm...maybe incentive to run again??

I wonder if the same logic (is this the right word here?) may be applied for the upper body? Any thoughts/comments?

Cheers!

KC
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:33

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default LOL, yep

I am among the gulity of the "Saturday night pump-up" ... LOL ...

You know, doing a lot of "pump" sets of biceps and triceps work just before going out to the club, etc. Makes the arms look tighter and fuller ...

Of course, I don't go out to the clubs much these days, but when Fern and I do go out with friends to hit the clubs, I do it. LOL. Usually when Fern is in the shower. hee hee.

Male vanity, ain't it great?!? Damn Adonis Complex.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 22:28

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Default Re: LOL, yep

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
Of course, I don't go out to the clubs much these days, but when Fern and I do go out with friends to hit the clubs, I do it. LOL. Usually when Fern is in the shower. hee hee.

Male vanity, ain't it great?!? Damn Adonis Complex.

You are so weird! But thats what I love about ya!