Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-24, 00:47

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Not yet on the market, but maybe something to consider once it is:

Fooditive launches revolutionary ‘Keto-Fructose’ sweetener from apples and pears in the US – a healthier, more sustainable alternative to sugar
Quote:
Fooditive Group, a pioneering Dutch plant-based ingredient manufacturer, is poised to revolutionize the American food and beverage industry with its groundbreaking, plant-based sweetener, Keto-Fructose (5-keto-D-fructose). This innovative sugar alternative, currently undergoing FDA GRAS assessment, is set to establish a new standard for sugar substitutes with its unparalleled taste, functionality, and sustainability.

Keto-Fructose offers extraordinary sweetness while preserving all the vital functionalities of sugar. This breakthrough enables food and beverage manufacturers to craft healthier, sugar-free products that consumers will love without compromising on taste, texture, or shelf-life.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-24, 03:42

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I'm laughing because of course they named it Keto!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-24, 06:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Fooditive launches revolutionary ‘Keto-Fructose’ sweetener from apples and pears in the US – a healthier, more sustainable alternative to sugar

Think I'll pass on this one

A 2022 study from Germany strongly advises against the use of 5-keto-D-fructose in food. Apparently, it has the potential to damage cells lining the intestines, as well as damaging healthy bacteria in the microbiome.
Quote:
Conclusion
Due to the increasing number of sugar-associated diseases and the growing consumer awareness of the adverse effects of sugar, there is an urgent need for healthy sugar alternatives. A promising candidate with this regard is 5-keto-D-fructose, a natural diketone, which is produced in some acetic acid bacteria by oxidation of D-fructose, a process catalyzed primarily by the membrane-bound fructose dehydrogenase complex. In this work, the effect of 5-KF on prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells was investigated. It was shown that 5-KF significantly reduced the viability of B. subtilis DSM 10, E. coli DSM 498, and the epithelial cell line HT-29 at concentrations ≥ 5 mM. This effect might be related to the strong Maillard reaction favored by 5-KF in the presence of amines, which became apparent during this study. Due to the cytotoxic effects of the diketone, we hereby oppose the use of 5-KF in the food sector.

https://www.frontiersin.org/journal...022.935062/full
  #19   ^
Old Today, 09:26

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

we quit drinking diet drinks because of my husbands kidney issues, but he does drink caffeine free ice tea. I usually drink ice water and keep bottled water for taking with me. We were Equal users first (blue) , then went to Splenda when all the bad press came out about Equal and supposedly Splenda was healthier......then the bad press came out about Splenda so we tried stevia. Well the first we tried tasted terrible by itself and made your drink or food taste weird too...Hubby is still using Splenda (yellow packets) because he doesn't like the taste of the stevia and I am trying the stevia product made by Splenda. It tastes better than any other stevia product I have tried, so for now it is the sweetener I use when needed. So. my recommendation is to try some small packs of different brands of stevia and see which taste best to you. The Splenda Stevia is the best tasting for us.

I usually stick with ice water that is filtered through my refrigerator. I've tried to learn to drink my iced tea plain, but I just don't like it that way. So, I usually skip the tea and just drink water.

I think its important to note that we found that different brands taste different. All Aspertame does not taste the same. All Stevia does not taste the same. Just because its in a blue, yellow or pink packet does not mean it will taste like the name brands. Experiment and find one you can live with.
  #20   ^
Old Today, 11:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangle
~snip~

I think its important to note that we found that different brands taste different. All Aspertame does not taste the same. All Stevia does not taste the same. Just because its in a blue, yellow or pink packet does not mean it will taste like the name brands. Experiment and find one you can live with.

You're quite right.

Here's some bits from a page called What Sugar (not sure if a link is allowed since even though there's a wealth of information about all kinds of sweeteners, she is clearly selling access to additional info, and provides links to Amazon for all the sweeteners she lists):

Quote:
Chemically speaking, the sweet components of the stevia leaf are steviol glycosides. They have an intensely sweet taste of 25 to 450 times that of table sugar. The stevia leaf contains more than forty steviol glycosides;

Quote:
When you buy stevia sweeteners, they will have one steviol glycoside or several. The most commonly used is rebaudioside A (reb A or rebiana).

Pure reb A is 250 to 450 times sweeter than table sugar with a characteristic bitter, licorice-like aftertaste.

Another steviol glycoside in stores, called stevioside, has a much more intense bitter aftertaste than Reb A.

Reb D and reb M are considered the "better-tasting" and "more sugar-like" stevia.

. The best-tasting sweeteners have blends of a variety of steviol glycosides.

Quote:
• Stevioside has the worst taste (strongest aftertaste) and is the cheapest of all extracts sold in stores.

• Reb A offers a slightly better taste than stevioside, but it still has a characteristic bitter, licorice-like aftertaste. It tends to be more expensive than stevioside.

• The best–tasting stevia extracts have a variety of steviol glycosides that include reb M and reb D. Blends are more sugar-like but not completely free of aftertaste. They tend to be more expensive than pure reb A.

Her page shows which sweeteners contain which steviosides.

Further down the page I found that info on, she also goes into stevia brands which are bulked up with some kind of extender (making them more appropriate for baking), and which kind of extender each one uses.
  #21   ^
Old Today, 14:35

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/226.6/143 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 60%

To [I]get completely away from the chemicals and from
the ultra processing involved in the manufacturing of all of the sweeteners on the market, when I’m at goal i will use monkfruit drops and limited amounts of coconut sugar exclusively.