Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:21
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile "8 things your body will love"

This is an article written by Weight Watchers, I was surprised at the list, for many if not almost all of it, we eat on our low carb way of life. I'm not sure of the psuedograin but if anyone has any info on it, I would appriciate it. Here's the article:

Like it or not, Mom was justified when she forced you to eat your vegetables. Broccoli and Brussels sprouts give you nutrients and substances that might truly have an impact on your health. Same with crunchy peanuts, sugar-sweet berries and thirst-quenching iced tea.

If youre concentrating on eating foods that have a lot of nutrients and phytochemicals (naturally occurring plant substances that fight disease), youre hedging your bet for at least a healthier life, if not a longer one, says Barbara Gollman, MS, RD, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. Heres her input on eight super foods to stock up on:

Nuts . Peanuts, almonds, pecans delicious! Eat a small amount of nuts on a regular basis, and you might reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer. Plus, theyre chock full of the antioxidant vitamin E, artery-unclogging monounsaturated fats and lots of other phytochemicals.

Chile peppers (zero POINTS). Capsaicin, the substance that gives chiles their heat, acts as a disease-preventing phytochemical, says Gollman.

Tomatoes (zero POINTS) and tomato products. The antioxidant lycopene in tomato-rich foods may help prevent prostate cancer, and might also help prevent breast cancer. Cooked tomatoes are more effective than raw ones, says Gollman. So load up on tomato paste and tomato sauces.

Berries . All berries are good for you, but blueberries and raspberries seem to hold top spots on the berry nutrition chart. Their anthocyanins and ellagic acid (the substances that give them their rich colors) possess potential cancer- and heart disease-preventing antioxidant properties. Plus, theyre high in fiber and vitamin C.

Leafy greens (zero POINTS). Folate, a much-talked-about B vitamin, does triple duty. In addition to helping fend off heart disease and possibly even cancer, its believed to prevent neural tube defects in unborn babies. So go for anything thats leafy and green. Some of Gollmans tasty suggestions: Mix steamed chard with minced garlic and fresh lemon juice, and make pesto sauce with basil and kale.

Quinoa . Pronounced KEEN-wah, this nutty-tasting food is unlike any other grain (although not a true grain, it is often called one). Its the only grain considered to be a complete protein, comments Gollman. If thats not enough to give it clout, consider that the sterols it contains may lower cholesterol, decreasing your risk for heart disease.

Yogurt . Sure, its good for your bones, but thats not all. Most yogurts contain good bacteria that help maintain proper digestive health and may help boost your immune system. Look for the words live and active cultures such as L. acidophilus and Bifidus on ingredient labels.

Tea (zero POINTS) Whether served iced, hot or decaffeinated, black or green tea as well as some other non-herbal teas might help prevent cancer and heart disease due to the antioxidant effects of the flavonoids and polyphenols they contain. Up your tea intake with some of Gollmans ideas: Make a tea slush with iced tea and pured fruit, or try jazzing up regular iced tea with frozen mango cubes or slices.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 13:34

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quinoa looks a little bit like couscous. Willett in his book in his recent book extol the virtues of that "grain". Apparently it's relatively low carb. I bought some but have yet to use it. You can find it in natural food stores. Searching the net should yield you many ways of preparing it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 19:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quinoa is the grain of the Inca Empire. I remember that from when I was in a three month trial run as a vegetarian and I was researching things I might want to eat. Its still grown in the Andes and the people there use it like rice. I also remember something about it being popped like popcorn and vendors selling it on streets.

Never had it myself. I think a T-Bone derailed my short career as a vegetarian.

slowday
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 20:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

BTW...Fitday lists quinoa with 117.13 grams of carb per cup and 10.03 grams of fiber.

Now maybe a cup, when cooked, makes enough for a truckload of hungry eaters, but the carb to fiber ratio seems to rule out its use as a low carb item.

The numbers seem out of whack, but that's what fitday says.

slowday