Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 18:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Strong muscles mean strong bones. It's only can be achieve throught weight training or any weight bearing exercise, not just eating adequate amount of protein and fat.

Not necessarily: http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/1/15-545315.html

According to this study, protein intake was directly related to bone density irregardless of physical activity level.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 19:32

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

A point to remember is that very few of the studies on which the new quidelines are based were done on low-carbing individuals. Most were done on carb guzzling people whose metabolism is different than ours.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 20:03
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammie137
Three servings is a far, far cry from the 6-11 per day they were formerly recommending. And they even specify that those three servings should be whole grains. I'm probably in the minority on this, but only 3 servings of whole grains doesn't sound like completely unhealthy filler to me.

No it doesn't, unfortunately (according to the preliminary guidelines I read - the site for the released guideline is still down), they are still recommending up to 11 servings per day of grain products, 8 servings on a 2000 kcal/day diet. That puts grain products squarely at the bottom of the pyramid, again. Yes, they are suggesting replacment of about half of the recommended grain consumption with whole grain products which will slightly reduce "net" carbs by replacing some of them with fiber. A tiny step in the right direction - but they've also decided that beans is part of the meat group. Whatever.

Wyv
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 20:08
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Wyv-- I've always been taught that beans can be a pretty good meat substitute, especially served with a grain, to provide a complete protein?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 20:44
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Wyv-- I've always been taught that beans can be a pretty good meat substitute, especially served with a grain, to provide a complete protein?

...along with a whole bunch of empty carbs, anti-nutrients, lectins and insoluble fiber whose only health benefit is to expedite the elimination of the whole toxic mess.

Wyv
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 20:56

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
...along with a whole bunch of empty carbs, anti-nutrients, lectins and insoluble fiber whose only health benefit is to expedite the elimination of the whole toxic mess.

Wyv

And those ever popular jet propelled emisions!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 219/211/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

The article quoted mis-states the suggestions as to the amount of grains. After hitting the actual site with the proposed suggestions (since, as you said, the actual release site is down), I see they are recommending 8 servings of grain products, as you've stated. That's hard even for me to stomach, and I like brown rice.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree

Wyv

Perhaps it would be more fair to let the vegetarians here weigh in on that, as they may have more experience with using beans as a protein source in a low-carb woe.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 23:38

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I should have made myself clearer - I think that people who still eat a high-carb diet would have to exercise to keep off the weight.

I think low-carbing has an advantage, obviously, and we may not need to exercise as much for weight loss/maintenance.

I always said I had no time to exercise, yet I could find time to watch t.v...
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/172/145 Female 67.5"
BF:?/44%/?
Progress: 60%

Good point, Val. And just look around at all the fast food. People do not follow guidelines, but patterns are cultural. I read somewhere (can't remember the source) that 1/2 of all vegetables consumed in US are potatoes, and most of those as potato chips and french fries.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 17:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
Progress:

What does three servings of whole grain mean? Three servings of commercial whole what bread will net you 66 grams of carbohydrate and nine frams of fiber. Three bran muffins with all that sugar? Three servings of Quaker Instant Oatmeal will net you 105 grams of carbohydrate and nine grams of fiber. These guidelines are a bunch of hooey.

Exercise will never burn enough calories to stimulate weight loss. However, as you increase your percentage of lean body mass through exercise, your metabolism will rise as well, making weight loss easier and faster.