Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default List of everyday foods that are low carb

Hi, i'm new here, although i've made a post in the main forum already (hi to anyone who hasn't seen me around yet ) I'll be starting a low-carb lifestyle on monday.

I was wondering if there's a list of low-carb off-the-shelf foods anywhere on the net. I don't want to have to cook all the time to get my low-carb goodness. I've heard that certain items from mcdonalds are low-carb, for example. Also, just ordinary things you can buy at the supermarket that i can snack on.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 19:37

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb low carb ready to eat foods

Off the top of my head, I'd say jerky, cheese, and hard-boiled eggs. As to fast foods hamburgers with no bun would be "OK" no fries, no shakes. Check out health food stores, many are carrying low carb/high protein bars and shakes that can be eaten quickly. Then read, read, read those labels.

Kriste
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:

This is a list edited from Dr. Bernstein's website, http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.co...chapter10.shtml . There are also lists of things you should avoid on that particular page, though if you aren't diabetic you may be able to add a few of the "no-no's".

Low-Carb Foods

Vegetables such as asparagus, avocado, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage and sauerkraut, cauliflower, eggplant, onions (in small amounts), peppers (any color), mushrooms, spinach, string beans, summer squash, and zucchini (maybe others too)

Meat, Fish, Fowl, Seafood, and Eggs
Tofu, and Soybean Substitutes for Bacon, Sausage, Hamburger, Fish, Chicken, and Steak
Cheese, Butter, and Cream
Yogurt (unsweetened)
Soy Milk (unsweetened)
Soybean Flour
Bran Crackers (Bran-a-Crisp, G/G Scandinavian Bran Crispbread, Ry-Vita, others)
Toasted Nori (seaweed sheets you make sushi with)
Sweeteners: Saccharin, Aspartame, Stevia, Acesulfame K, Splenda and Cyclamate
Sugar-free Syrups: Atkins, DaVinci, No-Cal Brand
Flavor Extracts
Mustard, Pepper, Salt, Spices, Herbs
Low-Carbohydrate Salad Dressings
Nuts (pretty much any kind)
Sugar-Free Jell-O Gelatin
Sugar-Free Jell-O Puddings
Sugar-free Chewing Gum
Coffee, Tea, Seltzer, Mineral Water, Club Soda, Diet Sodas
Alcohol, in Limited Amounts
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 12:34

Plan: hipoglicemic diet
Stats: 197/140/130
BF:
Progress:
Talking 1000 Food Carbs Descriptions

Hi:

You can visit this site http://ntwrks.com/~mikev/ you will find a list of 1000 different food with there description in carbs, calories, cholesterol, etc...

I hope this will help everybody.

Thanks, Kim
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 12:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Kim,

Welcome aboard. You're our first member, I think from Puerto Rico! Your stats look great, almost at goal!! Congrats!

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 04:26

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

After reading (skimming) several books I decided not to “diet” but to simply make informed choices about what I eat. I decided to avoid sugar, bleached white flour, corn, potatoes, fried foods and white rice. The only one of these I am attempting to totally eliminate is sugar. Finding good bread is difficult and expensive but well worth the effort. Either white rice or potatoes have been part of most of my lunches and dinners since childhood so choosing not to eat these foods has made a big difference in my carb intake. I like Chinese food and it usually is served with white rice, which I sometimes still eat a little, but nothing like I used to eat. I have also increased my exercise by doing ITP. The net result of all this is that I have lost 8 pounds in the last month.

When I started exercising the focus wasn’t on weight as much as body shape. I have attached a spreadsheet I use to measure progress that calculates the delta (change) between measurements and the overall delta since the beginning. Weight is not a criteria because building muscle could actually increase weight. It’s in Excel 2000, I can convert it to other formats if anyone is interested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip body measurements template.zip (12.7 KB, 34 views)