Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/172/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Pilates?

Question:

I just started doing Pilates last night 1/18/05 and really enjoyed it. I found it relaxing and also a little difficult. Will this really help me lose weight? I was not sweating and I my heart rate was up, but not like if I had a cardio work-out. I felt mildly stiff today, but again not like a heavy cardio work-out. Is this going to help?

Autumn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 16:44

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

I LOVE pilates and it sure HELPED me stay toned and didn't hurt my weight loss any! I do it every morning and you know, I think it REALLY helps keep your skin shrinking along with the rest of you.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 17:32

Plan: Just low carb
Stats: 185.5/180/130 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 10%

I have heard so many good things about pilates! So i bought a dvd tonight and i am going to try it tonight! Has any here ever tried the Crunch Burn and Firm Pilates? I am only wondering because this is what i bought because it was the only one they had ! If you have it can you tell me if you like it and lif it is really hard?Thanks, Pam
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 05:09

Plan: Atkins AGAIN!!!
Stats: 265/257/161 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:48/44/51
Progress: 8%

I'm going to my first Pilates class this afternoon, I do Body Pump regularly at my gym, but I think Pilates tones and strengthens from what I gather - I'll let you know ho I go!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 22:51

Plan: Just low carb
Stats: 185.5/180/130 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default I love Pilates!

I have to say i love pilates now i am totally hooked! I have the Crunch Burn and Firm and i have only done it twice! I can't get all the way through it but it is awsome! I worked up a good sweat and the next my inner theighs were really sore lol. I say Pilates is a heck of alot better than in Aerobic exercise i have ever found!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 18:53

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 440.0/421.0/200.0 Female 5'10"
BF:

I thought I'd post because I too just started the Pilates program. I've done it a few times before but it's when I was falling off the wagon and didn't really stick with it. But it is so relaxing and it makes me ache which must be a good thing!

I have the ab sculpting and bun and thigh dvds - I'm hoping they help me out a lot too.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 19:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Posting here too because I just started. Yesterday I began the Winsor Pilates 20 min work out - a good work out. Not sweat breaking, but I can feel it. And as some of my moves were sloppy, I'm guessing that with more strength comes more control, and vice-versa. I'll do it till it gets easy, then I'll work up on the harder DVD (if I can stick with this ).

I also treadmill walk about a mile and a half most every day, and lift weights (upper body only) several times a week on my bowflex. I'm thinking that between the cardio, pilates and weight lifting, I'll hopefully see some results soon.

Been doing treadmill & upper body *fairly* regularly since before Christmas, but I wasn't eating well sometimes and was drinking too much alcohol, so no weight gone.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 20:47

BF:

I definitely sweat when doing Pilates - but maybe it's because I didn't used to workout or do them on a daily basis... not sure. But I can feel them working because my abs, butt and thighs are so sore afterwards!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 08:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Yes, it hurts to stretch. Doing this: all day, stretching out my poor mid-section.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 15:18

Plan: BFL
Stats: 185/182/135 Female 5'7"
BF:32.4
Progress: 6%
Default pilates does work

Pilates works. But remember, don't expect any dramatic changes. It will slowly transform you to where you need to be.

Pilates is meant to elongate and strengthen the muscles, since pilates is a lot of stretching and increasing muscle slowly it will also slightly increase your muscles causing an increase in your metabolism.

It will also raise your heart rate for the cardio aspect and will help burn some fat that way as well.

Remember as you build muscles, your muscles will be releasing toxins and lactic acid will also form, so drink LOTS of water to help your body eliminate that.

Follow a healthy diet and you should see some healthy results about 1-2 lb loss per week.

And remember if you want to build muscle quickly, this isn't the way to go, but it will give you a slender feminine figure in the long run if you stick with it!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 09:09

BF:

I'm not looking to build muscle - not yet anyway. I'm looking to get rid of the excess skin from losing my initial 75 pounds. Will Pilates work for that?