Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 13:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I just bought the 2% milk and it had 3 carbs. We enjoy this alot so I hope they don't mess with it. Never tried the choc milk and prob won't now.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 20:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I don't know what they did, but in the past I was able to consume the chocolate milk without any increase in my blood sugar readings, but the last time I bought it my BS went up very high after consuming the product. I thought it was me, that had developed a sensitivity to it, but I guess they changed the formula. Since it afected me so bad, I had decided to quit buying the product and did not check the nutrition information at all. These people, they will never learn. They lost a costumer.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Wow.. this is really too bad. Have they done it with the white milk too?
I've recently moved to Germany so it's not like I can even get Hood milk anymore, but when in the US I loved it, used it in everything and made tons of homemade yogurt with it....it was so mild and creamy and easy. It never gave me gastrointestinal distress the way pasturized regular milk and yogurt did. I don't like low carb products in general but the milk was really a gem, same with some of the tortilla brands.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 08:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_S
Wow.. this is really too bad. Have they done it with the white milk too?
I've recently moved to Germany so it's not like I can even get Hood milk anymore, but when in the US I loved it, used it in everything and made tons of homemade yogurt with it....it was so mild and creamy and easy. It never gave me gastrointestinal distress the way pasturized regular milk and yogurt did. I don't like low carb products in general but the milk was really a gem, same with some of the tortilla brands.

Would you mind telling me how to make homemade yogurt? I hate paying so much for the carb control Dannon yogurt. It is about $3.00 for 4 containers which is only about 3 oz. each.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 08:29
Registered Member

It's so easy you'll be amazed.
Disinfect your pot and utensils by boiling water in it. Warm up the milk slowly until tiny bubbles form at the sides of the pot.. don't boil it. Let it cool for a little bit.. 5-10 mins.. add a few tablespoonfuls of a plain yogurt from the store and stir gently. I always used danone plain. Let it sit in a warm place, undisturbed for 8-24 hours. I used to put it in a thermos, but found that the texture was smoother and nicer when I left it in the steel pot. That is it! You can use this fresh yogurt as the starter culture for the next batch too, but it will take far less time - 6 hours or so, if you leave it too long it will turn to cheese. For flavour I actually enjoyed it plain, sometimes would add a couple drops of stevia and vanilla.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 09:07

Thanks but I wondering where would be a good place that is warm for 8-24 hours???

Maybe on a heating pad? Or in an oven that was on for a while then shut off or in an oven at a low temp?

Last edited by ShayKNJ : Wed, Dec-14-05 at 09:23.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 09:32
Registered Member

in winter... what kind of heating do you have? You could place the pot near a radiator or on a vent. I used to do the oven thing, turn it on to warm it, shut it off and leave the milk in there w/ the door closed. IT doesn't have to be hot..just warm. I've also just wrapped the pot in a towel for insulatin as well as leaving it at the base of the refrigerator where the warm air blows out - but htat worked better in summer when it was warmer. In summer our apparment halway worked too.

-a sunny window can work if it's warm. Your suggestion of a heating pad is good too. This yogurt seems to be pretty forgiving in terms of temperature.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 09:49

I have forced hot air heat. Maybe I could put it by the oil burner. I can not put it on the floor by the refrigerator because the dog would get into it.

I do have a sunny window a garden window in the kitchen but it is 7 degrees out and it is cold there now. I will think of something I am so tired of paying so much money for the LC yogurt.

I just went online to Bed, Bath & Beyond for a yogurt maker and it is only $14.99 and I have 20% off coupon. I might pick it up.

Last edited by ShayKNJ : Wed, Dec-14-05 at 10:27.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 10:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I bought a little yogurt incubator for under $10 on amazon.com that keeps the yogurt at a constant temp for me and works like a charm.

You can get basic ones like the one I have, or you can go all out and get more expencive ones that let you have more control over the temprature. I think this is the one I have, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...garden&v=glance

I have done it with and without heating the milk first. I found that heating the milk did provide for a thicker consistancy. Hood whole milk made a nice thick yogurt, while skim and 2% was runny. The chocolate was just ick. For a real treat adding some Heavy cream in really thickens it up.

I also got little packets of yogurt starter to use when I didn't have any of the last batch left and didn't want to go out and buy commercial.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 10:48

LAdyBelle-That is the same one at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $14.99. At my supermarket they only have the skim or 2% Hood's Milk. I have never seen whole milk.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 11:42
Registered Member

just a note, when I used skim it had a nice firm consistency, it wasn'trich like the whole milk, but if you want it richer just add some cream to it.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 12:12

Thanks I am so excited to make this.