Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 18:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/150/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Angry i cheated

Well I cheated last night. I was on my 7th dayof induction and my daughter and her friend made homemade chocolate chip cookies and i just couldnt resist. Before i knew what i was doing i had one in my mouth then another then another. I felt so ashamed and guilty. I couldn't keep from beating myself up last night. Then i woke up todayand said ok you are forgiven it was a weakness and you start your induction all over again. But i still cant believe i did it but today i guess im ok with it im learning to forgive and move on. I'll just pick up the peices and start over and try and be stronger next time. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 15:47

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

yes! forgiveness and getting right back on track are the keys to making this work in the long term. I applaud you!

And, imho, nothing is harder to resist than fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Can you ask for a moratorium on them for a few months?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/158/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question Cheat, or enjoy life to some extent

I went on the atkins diet a few weeks ago. I lost 6 pounds so far, but admit I don't stay totally on the diet, but made such drastic changes that I can live with. I don't eat bread, drink soft drinks or eat carb foods any longer. Our dinners consist of a good meat and salad. My husband even lost 8 pounds and my son lost 7 so far. I love wine and can't seem to give it up at the end of the day. I plan on making a lifestyle change, but torchuring myself seems like a diet. This way, I get a few carbs, but from 300 gr to 30 a day is a dramatic drop and I have to admit, It is the most weight in a short period of time that I have ever lost without really feeling like I am on a diet. I don't crave the breads and pasta any longer, but still enjoy a couple of glasses of red wine at night. Oh, well, call me a cheater.....but I am still loosing. Maybe not as fast, but it is still coming of and I am atleast living. Living isn't suffering and sometimes, Diets make you suffer. JUST find what works for you personally and try not to be guilty about it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 12:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/150/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Thumbs up thanks

thank you guys so much for your support it means alot to me i have been out of town so i havent been able to journal but i got back late last night so i look forward to journaling later im very proud of my self so far back on the induction again. thanks everyone
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 22:19

Stats: 205/205/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry Boy did I cheat today

Ok, I have you all beat. I have been trying to do induction for almost three weeks. I haven't lost anything. I think that there are many possible reasons for this, i.e. I ate too many bars, too much dairy, not enough water, and too much salt.

I was extremely frustrated, because last weekend I was on a trip and there was all this fabulous food: pizza, sandwiches, gourmet desserts, and I didn't eat ANY of it! I figured that losing the weight would be worth it...but then I didn't lose any.

So today I decided I would try a more strict induction with no dairy, lots of water, and those twelve dollar pills. I decided to start tomorrow, and in the meantime I had for dinner a Taco Bell Mexican Pizza, a gordita, and two drumstick ice cream cones (in case you didn't know how I got to be 200 pounds, I am a compulsive overeater). So anyway, yell at me or whatever. Tomorrow I am going to make a go of it again and hope I see some results.

Later!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 22:58
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 148/125/115
BF:
Progress: 70%
Question have you been eating a lot of fat?

hi csfdavis

have you been eating enough fat? are you eating a lot of artificial sweetners? when i switched to atkins from suzanne sommers, i was able to break 130 (something i could never reach on suzanne) but i never attained my goal on atkins. i kind of stalled in the upper 120's. i switched to neanderthin (paleo diet) where i cut out artificial sweetners and dairy, and increased my fat intake. this really cut my cravings and i was able to loose more weight.

i'm thinking maybe you could try increasing your fat intake while in induction. it will cure hunger and help with cravings.

karebear
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 23:24

Stats: 205/205/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fat/Sweetners

Thanks, Karebear

Actually, I've been eating pretty high fat. Actually, I think I need to cut out some fat. I was under the impression that butter and cheddar cheese could be eaten with complete abandon on Atkins, but I think that all that dairy has really impeded my weight loss. I really haven't been that hungry, just very frustrated that the diet isn't working. I'm going to cut the dairy out and see how it goes. I'm still going to eat mayo and high fat meats. As for artificial sweeteners, I've been getting mixed signals. It seemed like Splenda, especially the liquid kind in sodas, was a free for all, but that has carbs too now? I feel like I can't keep up.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 00:01
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 148/125/115
BF:
Progress: 70%
Smile cutting out the dairy sounds like a good idea

ray audette points out in his "neanderthin" book that
Quote:
the milk of herbivores (cows, goats, etc.) is designed for an entirely different sort of digestive system and often confilcts with that of humans
so cutting out the dairy sounds like a good idea. remember, god made cow milk for baby cows

for a last resort (and i mean very last) you may want to try a fat fast:

http://www.eporkchop.com/blubber/fatfast.htm

when my sister had long stalls on the atkins diet she would do a fat fast. it worked for her whe she did it (she has a hard time loosing weight), but now she kind of fell off of the low carb wagon and jumped onto the pizza and asian food train

i have done a fat fast or two myself. it also worked for me, but it got really old really quick. ( i did it for about 3 days)

most importantly, don't give up. we are all rooting for everyone around here. that's why i love this place!

karebear