Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-24, 09:17

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I only read the first page of the egg fast thread (maybe they went crazy with it after that), but I always thought the idea of an egg fast (and similarly, a meat and egg fast) is that it should be self-limiting.

By that I mean what WB said upthread:

Quote:
when we eat a steak. Great flavor and a sense of well-being and when I'm done, I'm done, even if there are two bites left on the plate.

On an egg fast, it might take 4 eggs (280 cals) to feel full, but even if you scramble them in 1 Tbsp butter (100 cals), that's still only 380 cals for that meal. You could melt another Tbsp of butter on top, and still be under 500 cals for that meal. (for me, that's a very long lasting meal, I feel full for hours and hours)

A 10 oz rib eye steak has about 850 cals - but that's where you get into the "when I'm done, I'm done" territory. Again, you feel satisfied, and don't feel the need for more. That effect will last for hours and hours.

In my experience it's when you start adding in extraneous carbs (potatoes, bread, dessert) that your stomach can't register fullness properly until you're uncomfortably stuffed. And all that extra carbage spikes glucose, leading to a glucose crash within a couple of hours, so your body says "we're low on glucose - you need more carbage to bring that back up a bit". But it's not satisfying (even though you're also still full of steak), so once again you overdo the carbs, blood sugar spikes again, crashes again, rinse and repeat over and over.

I think if people were able to see those alarming spikes and crashes on a glucose monitor it might mean something to them. But there should be some kind of standard range of "your glucose really shouldn't go any higher than xxx after a meal before it starts to drop". Because as Dodger pointed out:

Quote:
Without knowing how much insulin your pancreas is putting out, the glucose level doesn't mean much. You can have a good blood glucose level but your pancreas could be putting out a treemendous amout of insulin to keep the glucoes down.

Without an insulin monitor, knowing what the glucose is doing on a continual basis will be the only way you're going to have any idea just how much your pancreas had to deal with. It still doesn't tell you how much insulin your pancreas put out, but it can certainly tell you if your pancreas had to deal with a ridiculous amount of glucose, meaning that even if you're getting back down to a normal reading within 2 hours, it's only because your pancreas is being overworked to deal with all the glucose.

As an example of what I'm trying say - Let's say a CGM showed that your glucose spiked to 250 or 300 shortly after you finished eating a very high carb meal. [ETA: I honestly don't know if those are considered normal readings after eating, or if they're abnormally high - just go with the idea that you've eaten so much that your blood sugar goes sky high before it drops] But then it dropped back down to 120-140 within 2 hours. In that case I'd say your pancreas has to be pumping out huge amounts of glucose to effectively deal with all that, which even if it doesn't indicate insulin resistance, it certainly shows that you're making your pancreas work extra hard to deal with all that glucose.

And that's not even considering that it may have been doing that for so many years that your cells are very resistant to the insulin, even if your pancreas is still able to keep up with it. So the CGM could be used as a very early warning sign that your diet is truly out of whack, even if it doesn't tell you the whole story.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-24, 03:48

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
And that's not even considering that it may have been doing that for so many years that your cells are very resistant to the insulin, even if your pancreas is still able to keep up with it. So the CGM could be used as a very early warning sign that your diet is truly out of whack, even if it doesn't tell you the whole story.

Which is why this article was written about it in a dismissive way, saying it's a fad. When it's actually science working for us.

It's a confusing and clueless article because it's not about telling the truth, but keeping it hidden. Glucose monitoring is exposing science data they can't handwave away.

DH had grown up with his mother's salisbury steak and mashed potatoes, so that was his favorite frozen meal. But when I showed him on the glucose meter that as far as his pancreas was concerned, he might as well have had a big soda for dinner.

And that really sparked a realization. So I think it IS very valuable information that exposes the paucity of the SAD.

Our carb-heavy overlords HATE that.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 00:33

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Going down the 'rabbit hole' of wearable blood-sugar monitors

Blood-sugar monitoring devices could soon be on the arms of millions of Americans after regulators cleared two new devices for use without a prescription. Is it a way to improve our health? Or is the data just another distraction?

In the middle of the night last June, Cindy Bekkedam woke up to the sound of an unfamiliar alarm. It was loud, like an emergency alert, and it was coming from her phone. More specifically, it was coming from a newly installed app linked to a glucose sensor embedded in her arm.

According to this app, her blood sugar had dropped to a concerning low while she slept, which had triggered the alarm.

“So I got up in the middle of the night and ate a granola bar,” she said.

Continuous glucose monitors (CGMs), which monitor glucose levels in real time, have been used by millions of diabetics for years. As a dietitian in Ontario, Canada, Ms Bekkedam had hers installed to better understand the technology for her patients with diabetes.

But her two-week trial became somewhat of a cautionary tale.

“I was freaking out,” she said. “I actually questioned, oh my goodness, do I have diabetes?”

She didn’t. And, after some extra research, she found that her glucose levels were entirely normal. But constantly getting updates on her blood sugar highs and lows, without having a medical condition that required it, incited some unnecessary fear.

“That’s where I think people could go down a rabbit hole,” she said.

But these devices may be in the hands - or on the arms - of many more people very soon, thanks to two recent Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approvals for more widespread use. This week, Abbott Laboratories announced it had received federal clearance for two over-the-counter CGMs, including one for those without diabetes.

Use of CGMs is already rising, with the tell-tale arm patches easily spotted during morning commutes in major American cities. But experts say that even if there is no proven harm, there is little evidence to warrant spending the hefty fees - as much as $300 (£240) a month - if you’re not a diabetic.

Abbott’s Lingo, which is a CGM for people without diabetes, is marketed to consumers “who want to better understand and improve their health and wellness”. It was one of two devices cleared by the FDA, external for sale, and is already available in the UK. The FDA’s 510(k) regulatory process evaluates medical devices for safety and efficacy, but marketing claims are not part of the review.

"Understanding your body's glucose is key to managing your metabolism so you can live healthier and better," an Abbott spokesperson told the BBC.

Abbott said that flattening glucose curves could help improve energy, mood and sleep and pointed to studies showing the impact of glucose spikes on overall health, and the role of CGMs in monitoring them.

There is scepticism about such claims in the medical community, but one thing experts agree on is that CGMs have significantly improved the care of some people living with diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is when an individual's pancreas stops producing insulin, so regular injections are needed. Type 2 diabetes is more common and occurs when the cells in the body become resistant to insulin and so more is needed to keep blood glucose levels within a normal range. It can usually be controlled through medication, diet, exercise and close monitoring, although some take insulin. Traditionally, diabetics monitored their blood sugar with finger-prick tests, but CGMs can alert people with diabetes when their blood sugars are running dangerously high and low, and if insulin needs to be injected.

But many experts say that the evidence for CGMs improving the health of non-diabetics is effectively non-existent. They insist the devices are, at best, a distraction and at worse could lead to dangerous fixations.

A growing trend

CGMs are big business. Market leaders have estimated sales will reach $20bn globally over the next four years.

Earlier this year, the FDA cleared the sale of an over-the-counter CGM made by Dexcom, meant for Type 2 diabetics who don’t use insulin but want to avoid regular finger-prick tests. And some new CGM startups, like Signos, Nutrisense and Levels Health, now market prescription devices off-label as tools for energy, mood and metabolism.

The devices are becoming popular among some in health, wellness and sports industries.

Dutch marathoner Abdi Nageeye, who will compete in the Paris Olympics, told Reuters earlier this week he is wearing a CGM, external to try to better track his body's available energy.

Others, including some in the scientific community, have also expressed interest in the effects of glucose on metabolic health.

Nick Norwitz, 28, who graduated from Oxford University with a PhD in nutrition and is currently in his fourth year of medical school at Harvard, said he believes CGMs can be powerful tools because glucose is “a bellwether for what’s happening hormonally in your body”.

He has studied their use while at Harvard, and said he welcomes more research in the field.

Mr Norwitz said he believed that over the long term, the hormonal changes associated with frequent glucose spikes could cause negative effects, including through fat gain.

But, he added, glucose is just one metric, and shouldn’t drive all health decisions.

“To be clear, I don't think that means if you eat a mango and have your blood sugar go up that it’s 'worse' for you than were you to have a plate of bacon,” he said.

Interest in how CGMs can help you change your diet has flourished in some corners of the internet too. Depending on your algorithm, a search for glucose monitors on TikTok or Instagram could lead you to dozens of testimonials from health and wellness influencers espousing the technology’s benefits.

One such influencer, Brittney Bouchard, who promoted a particular CGM start-up on her TikTok and offered her followers a discount code, said wearing a CGM helped her adjust her diet to reduce glucose spikes. She received an affiliate commission when people bought the device through her link.

“I could tell a difference immediately, in my energy, my sleep and my brain fog,” said Ms Bouchard, a 41-year-old health coach from Los Angeles.

In her opinion the CGM showed her that her body “was unfortunately very, very sensitive to carbohydrates… even fruit”, she said, recalling that eating a pineapple had made her feel “jittery” and sick.

“If I have oatmeal I will be tired within an hour.”

A solution in search of a problem

But while some researchers and businesses claim that CGMs can have great benefits for the average person, many in the scientific community are sceptical, pointing to a lack of evidence.

Spikes in glucose are a symptom - not a cause - of diabetes, said Oxford researcher and dietitian Dr Nicola Guess. She said there is “no benefit” to CGMs for those who are not diabetic.

“Normally you would identify a problem and invent a solution to fix it,” she told the BBC. “This is backwards. It’s like we’ve got this technology, now we just have to find groups of people who we can convince that they need this technology.”

One key issue experts point to is that it is surprisingly hard to find much data on what blood sugar patterns look like in people without diabetes. This makes it hard to interpret an individual's results in a meaningful way.

And most people’s sugars will spike with fruit - a food group rich with vitamins and nutrients - but that's not a reason to stop eating it.

Dr Ethan Weiss, a clinical cardiologist with the University of California, San Francisco, agreed there is scant evidence that tracking glucose levels in people without diabetes can measurably improve their health.

“I’m aware of studies that show you can change your diet and you can decrease glucose spikes. I’m not aware of any studies showing that [tracking glucose] is actually doing anything beneficial, in a meaningful way, like reducing your risk of disease,” he said. “I think mostly it’s the devotees who believe it.”

But, Dr Weiss added, he was not aware of any studies showing the CGMs caused damage, either.

Others, including Dr Guess, said that the potential for harm was very real. Instead of focusing on the foundational building blocks of health - things like regular exercise, and a nutrient-rich diet - trackers like CGMs encourage us to focus on the minutiae of imperfect metrics. And, in worst-case scenarios, they can foster new problems, like disordered eating.

“I worry that instead of doing simple things to improve our health we are turning mealtimes into scientific experiments,” she said.

“I just feel like in some ways people have forgotten the point of living.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1ddk1ddme5o
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 02:28

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Isn't low blood sugar low blood sugar? Or is it set for someone who has not been diagnosed, and are without a fully working pancreas?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 04:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Completely ignored in this article is a common reason for middle of the night lows…a compression low. Roll onto the sensor, stop the interstitial fluid, alarm rings.

Also not mentioned, CGMs measure interstitial fluid, finger pricks measure capillary blood, and when you go to a lab for a blood draw, that is venous blood. My glucometer consistently runs 10 points above a lab value. Diabetics calibrate values.

There is a wide distribution of "normal"…the data in this and many other ON articles. Very few people have BG below 65 mg/dL or 3.6 mmol.

Mastering Blood Sugar: Insights for Non-Diabetics
https://optimisingnutrition.com/non...d-sugar-levels/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jun-16-24 at 04:57.