Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-24, 16:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Exactly, chasing the very thing, sweetness, that got me into trouble as I got older before embracing low carb is foolhardy for me, but my curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. Allulose is interesting, and for me, it was too good to be true. Shortly after my N=1 with Allulose this spring, I got an ocular migraine. Happens to me with Aspartame as well. It's a correlation, as I can't prove it was due to the Allulose, but it occurred after taking it for the second time when I mixed a very small amount in my whey protein drink. I really didn't care about the purported GLP-1 effects, as I'm not trying to lose weight. But after stopping the Allulose experiment, I haven't had an issue. One dynamic with Allulose is that there is a product, RxSugar, which has noteworthy investors who are researchers and medical professionals from the low carb, keto, paleo communities. There's a reason it's receiving a lot of publicity recently, but if it helps some people adapt without some of the negatives of other sweeteners, that's a good thing.

Ah! So interesting. I believe that my migraine frequency increased when I was eating allulose. I keep meaning to re-test but I'm never eager to have more migraines.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-24, 02:02

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I rarely sweeten things, and when I do it's with a pricey French jam. Because it tastes so good I only need small amounts.

Also, I tried for myself the theory that there might be a variability in gluconeogenesis, also differing between men/women, since they often need carbs back in. Thus the fling with honey in the carnivore community.

Myself, I do better with some carbs, which varies day to day from 20 or below to as high as 60 on "hungry days." Fruit, even jam, seems to regulate itself better than starches, for some reason, but I also seem to get full faster if there's a starch involved. I can use coconut wraps or get gluten free buns, but I rarely do that because it's so much easier to regulate the coconut, and it's real food.

And the coconut wraps have a good kind of sweet, with meaty cheese fillings, that makes it taste the best, too. It seems to me that this is what all the artificial sweeteners have in common is some kind of body reaction to "sweet" as soon as it hits our tongues.

But what if there is no form of sweet when it gets to where the body expects one thing, and gets another? Sugar alcohols are high on this list, probably!

But I couldn't get used to black coffee, either. I taste the sweet in heavy cream and that works for me, but might not for everyone. Another trick I tried was using a shake of salt in the coffee, to help with the bitterness. And, as our occasional diner foray has proven to me, typical coffee is not that good.

I make good stuff in my French press, which also lets me add raspberry juice to my decaf for real flavor and lower oxalate than eating them. (It's the seeds.)