Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-11, 15:59

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default BBC article: Cholesterol 'does not predict stroke in women'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12505230

High levels of cholesterol do not predict the risk of stroke in women, according to researchers in Denmark.

They did detect an increased risk in men, but only when cholesterol was at almost twice the average level.

The report in Annals of Neurology recommends using a different type of fat in the blood, non-fasting triglycerides, to measure the risk.

The Stroke Association said triglyceride tests needed to become routine to reduce the risk of stroke.

A total of 150,000 people have a stroke in the UK each year. Most are ischemic strokes, in which a clot in an artery disrupts the brain's blood supply.

The research followed 13,951 men and women, who took part in the Copenhagen City Heart Study.

During the 33-year study, 837 men and 837 women had strokes.
This study highlights the importance of measuring triglycerides routinely in order to reduce a person's risk of stroke.”

Poor predictor

They reported that the cholesterol levels in women were not associated with stroke, while there was only an association in men with levels higher than 9mmol/litre. The average in UK men is 5.5.

The researchers at Copenhagen University Hospital said this was "difficult to explain" as LDL, or bad, cholesterol is known to cause atherosclerosis which can block arteries.

They did notice a link, in both men and women, between the risk of stroke and non-fasting triglycerides.

They believe these fats are a marker for "remnant cholesterol" which is left behind when other forms of cholesterol are made.

Dr Peter Coleman, deputy director of research at The Stroke Association said: "Tests for triglyceride levels aren't routinely carried out in the UK unless there is significant concern."

"We know that high levels of fats, such as cholesterol, increase your risk of having a stroke. However, this research shows the importance of measuring the fat triglyceride, as well as cholesterol.

"This study highlights the importance of measuring triglycerides routinely in order to reduce a person's risk of stroke."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 16:10

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Dr Peter Coleman, deputy director of research at The Stroke Association said: "Tests for triglyceride levels aren't routinely carried out in the UK unless there is significant concern."

"We know that high levels of fats, such as cholesterol, increase your risk of having a stroke. However, this research shows the importance of measuring the fat triglyceride, as well as cholesterol.

Last I understood, cholesterol isn't a fat.

If chol. doesn't predict strokes in women, Dr., maybe there's just a teeensy teensy chance it's not a risk factor for strokes? You're just determined to hang onto that 'fact' till the Sun goes dark.
I believe that Malcolm Kendrick shows that cholesterol isn't a risk factor for stroke after all in his book The Great Cholesterol Con, in fact it's inversely related. (I'm still reading it - fascinating)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-11, 08:31

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

http://stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/c...keaha;35/6/1524

Title: Cholesterol associated with stroke but is not a risk factor

"cholesterol levels of more than {approx}5.7 mmol/L were associated with a relative risk of ischemic stroke of 1.3 One must be extremely cautious in interpreting findings with such weak associations as they could be influenced by confounding factors or bias."
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 18:22

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin

They reported that the cholesterol levels in women were not associated with stroke

Quote:
We know that high levels of fats, such as cholesterol, increase your risk of having a stroke.

What am I missing here? Does it or doesn't it? Or do they just wish it did?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-11, 05:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1988
http://stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/c...keaha;35/6/1524

Title: Cholesterol associated with stroke but is not a risk factor

"cholesterol levels of more than {approx}5.7 mmol/L were associated with a relative risk of ischemic stroke of 1.3 One must be extremely cautious in interpreting findings with such weak associations as they could be influenced by confounding factors or bias."

I think it's also worth adding the conclusion
Quote:
the prevailing evidence is not supportive of the hypothesis that cholesterol is an important risk factor for stroke. This is based on the observation that the association between cholesterol and stroke is weak, inconsistent, and that lowering cholesterol levels does not necessarily result in a reduction in the risk of stroke.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-11, 14:31

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I am re-reading "The Great Cholesterol Con" and Kendrick predicted that this would happen, that instead of abandoning the cholesterol-diet-heart hypothesis, someone would come up with a new kind of "cholesterol" to measure.

The quotations above should be added to some of the more absurd ones in his book.

Unbelievable.

You can just hear the people shouting, "But the world is flat, I know it is, it is flat, I know it is!"

Sheesh...

amanda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 12:52

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

If I remember correctly from the medical literature I've read, it's the lower cholesterol in women that is associated to higher risk of hemorrhagic stroke.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 13:48

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwilldoit
If I remember correctly from the medical literature I've read, it's the lower cholesterol in women that is associated to higher risk of hemorrhagic stroke.

Low cholesterol in general is associated with mortality of all kinds, depression, suicide, as well as making your body more prone to infections.

But yes, hemorrhagic stroke is highly correlated with stroke.