Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 18:59

Plan: LC and almost vegan/IF
Stats: 190/179.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Candida and Weight

Does Candida make it hard to lose weight?? I am doing so well with teh LC WOL and yet staying about the same in size and scale. Just wondering what others think.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 20:20

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

For some people, yes, it can. Are you currently on an anti-yeast diet or just LC?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 23:20

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

Personally, I think candida has been at the root of my weight problem all along (along with a whole host of other issues!). So I would say a resounding YES to it contributing to not being able to lose weight. Lots of good information out there on the why's but one thing that really hit home for me (and someone correct me if I have this completely wrong!) was the idea of yeast toxins interfering with cellular absorbtion of various hormones, i.e thyroid hormones and insulin, and nutrients, i.e lots of supplements that supposedly help to increase metabolism (fish oil, glutamine, dhea, chromium). If your cells can't access these things, it can really mess up your weight loss attempts. I am currently on the 'yeast elimination" form of Atkins or low carb which means no cheese/milk/cream, nuts, mushrooms, alcohol, or vinegars or other fermented stuff. I feel about 75% better and am hoping for even more. I have also broken a huge plateau and dropped about 20 pounds in the last 8 weeks. I thought giving up some of my favorite Atkins foods would be horrible but it hasn't been so bad for the benefits I am reaping!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 07:35

BF:

I just started the anti-yeast. I haven't had dairy, nuts or vinegar etc. since Thursday of last week. I have not however given up my coffee in the morning or my little bit of AS I have with it. I feel like if I go too far at this point I am going to end up going on a binge and I don't want that. I know... a weak excuse but as I am on TOM right now I am going with it and will concentrate on removing the rest of these things from my diet next week. Anyone have a good "diet list" for this? The one I have is an organic deal and I have also noticed alot of them don't agree with each other on some of the veggies and some allow almonds etc?? Where do I find the Atkins Yeast elimination recommendations? I have the DANR is that what your referring to??
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 23:38

Have you checked out healingnaturallybybee.com? (I think that's it but you can just google 'healing by bee' and it will come up.) GREAT website with all kinds of great stuff on it. I agree that there is a lot of conflicting/confusing info out there and from what I can tell, a lot of advice to "see what works for you." For example, many sites, suggest NO MICROWAVING AT ALL. I decided that this wasn't very practical for me--lol! I started with eliminating cheese/milk/cream, soy (or anything fermented), vinegars/commercial salad dressings, nuts, mushrooms and alcohol. I did not give up AS (although I use very little) and I still have coffee once per week with coconut milk since I am past induction. I also started eating less protein (about 20-25%), more fat (70-75%), even LESS carbs (~5%), and added in a lot of raw garlic and coconut oil, both really good natural antifungals. I then added in some other anti-fungals. The website fungusfocus.com has some good info on how much to take and with what. They sell their own brands but I just used what they said as a guideline and bought my own stuff elsewhere. It's the only place I found that really had any sort of specifics. I am currently in the stage where I am starting to add probiotics although I may switch it up when I run out and try some pre-biotics instead. Hope at least this is somewhat helpful. I know I spent HOURS webcrawling trying to figure it out! Good luck and feel free to post in my journal if you want a buddy or to share war stories...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 06:59

BF:

Wow thanks for the info. My time online is a snatch here and there because of taking care of a seven month old during the day so researching has been very frustrating to say the least!!! I will come visit your journal soon look foward to learning more and I can definetly use a buddy through this!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 07:12

Wow! A seven month old! No wonder you don't have any time! I wanted to post on your sweetener use. All of the sites on Candida that I have read suggest that the natural sweetener Stevia is fine for the diet. Have you tried it? Some people can't handle the taste but it doesn't bother me, especially in the small amounts that I use it. I think I have 6 drops or a half packet in a cup of coffee. They also make one with another natural sweetener called Luo Han (I think) that is MUCH sweeter than just plain powdered stevia. You can get stevia at most healthfood stores and can order all sorts of yummy flavored ones (liquid) online from amazon.com. Just search for "liquid stevia." I will use Splenda in a pinch but I have definitely noticed a difference in my craving levels between using artifical sweeteners and stevia, which is natural. Also, the coconut milk isn't bad in coffee. Not 100% like cream, but not bad at all.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 08:58

BF:

Yes I use the stevia too thanks. I don't love it though and I think I have about ten kinds in my cabinet had to try them all and see if I liked one best. lol I know I will get rid of it (AS) I have before didn't use it for 4 years and even preached to others abouth the harms. lol I am just being stubborn right now because of other issues (marital) and it being TOM time. I am going to switch back to Rooibos tea like I used to and then I won't have to add any sweetener. I also gave up coffee for years as well. lol I am a yo yoer in more ways than one. I know whats best for my body and yet I always think well maybe it's changed etc. and screw myself up all over again. Thanks for the input I really appreciate it!!

Last edited by kimbar69 : Wed, Feb-25-09 at 09:01. Reason: spelling errors.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 09:02

BF:

Oh yeah the seven month old isn't mine I just take care of him for my neice.She is a teacher in my town. My kids are 21, 18, and 14 thank god almost all grown and out of the house. lol
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbar69
Oh yeah the seven month old isn't mine I just take care of him for my neice.She is a teacher in my town. My kids are 21, 18, and 14 thank god almost all grown and out of the house. lol

A 21 year old, and 18 year old, and a 14 year old--WOW! No wonder you don't have any time! And I agree with you on the coffee. I don't drink it often but when I do it needs to be white and sweet. I don't personally think a small amout of AS will hurt that much! It's all about what you can handle to incorporate into your diet at a time. I also am a classic yo-yo'er. Not this time, dangit!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-05-09, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/190/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

So I went to the Dr. today to get my yearly pap, in the process I was weighen and have not lost anything on induction for the last two weeks. Consequently I was also diagnosed with bacteria vaginosis which I think is a product of Candida and perhaps related to my lack of weight loss. So now what do I do? Also do I take the icky vaginal cream prescribed or try to get rid of it nutritionally? Charting unknown waters here and any friendly input would be much appreciated! Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 12:35

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Someone posted an article about Vitamin D and bacterial vaginosis on the Vitamin D thread just today:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...911#post7804911
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/190/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thanks capmikee!