Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:36

Plan: CAD
Stats: 220/184/160 Female 68 inches
BF:36.2
Progress: 60%
Default Low Carb Bread

Hi, all! I have bought some lc bread (found only at a health food store here in town). The label says 4g per serving. I was wondering what this might do for CADers. Should I eat it at CM or not? All opinions are welcome! Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:13

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I would be very wary of it, myself. The Heller's do provide LC bread recipes in their book, but they are specifically designed to fit the restrictions of CAD. (And not very tasty from what I have heard). I feel that we should stick to the list of acceptable CM foods that is provided. If it's not on there, leave it alone. Plus, I don't really trust the carb-counts of commercial products to be accurate.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 20:40

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

I'm with Vel, if it's not on this list of acceptable CM foods I'd be very cautious.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 06:28

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

if you are carb sensitive, the lc bread may cause cravings and weight gain. What i've noticed on all the lc plans i've tried i never lose weight when i'am craving, and the WOL BECOMES UNBEARABLE.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 03:14

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

It might not be a good idea for your CM, Angel--but it could be really great for your RM.. I buy a lc/high fiber bread now (7g carbs-2g fiber), made by Nature's Own (Flowers Bakery).. If I have bread with my RM- I feel that I can have 2 slices of this, and possibly something else with a bit higher carb count, as well. The regular slice of high fiber bread would probably have at least 20g per slice. I know that we're supposed to count portion size only for RM--but to me, it seems like a wiser choice. Plus, I like to eat--and the more I can get for my "carb allowance", the better I like it! This particular bread is so good that it's all I buy for the fam, now. They don't even know the difference!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 06:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Great idea Tess!!! During the winter I like sandwiches a lot. I was thinking of checking out the lc breads for that. Gotta have dessert after, you know!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 14:58

BF:

Zuliekaa- Amen to the dessert thing! We must be soul sisters... Actually, I think all of us on this board must be soul sisters....
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 18:29
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Yes, we are!! We all have the same story, just about.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:20

Plan: CAD
Stats: 220/184/160 Female 68 inches
BF:36.2
Progress: 60%

Tess,

Where do you find your bread? Is it from a health food store or a local grocery in your town. I looked one place today with no luck. I would love to know where to find it!

Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 01:30

BF:

Angel- I buy my bread in the regular bread aisle at the grocery. I took a look, and on the Flowers Bakeries home page they have a map to show the areas where their products are available. They are based in GA, but have quite a wide distribution area. I'm almost sure though, that I saw the Nature's Own Reduced Card/High Fiber bread on one of the lc shopping sites. It's a pretty good bread, and it's fairly new. I believe that other bakeries will jump on the bandwagon now, to start offering lower carb bread choices. I talked to the delivery man at the store the other day, and he told me that they just can't keep it on the shelves! They also have a sugar free wheat bread, but it's higher in carbs (about 12 per slice, I think). Also, sugar free h'burger/h'dog buns. Not carb free, but greatly reduced. I've found that I must have been the one eating most of the bread around here--it's hard for us to use an entire loaf before it goes bad, now. Of course, the same could be said for most of the carb laden products around here--we can actually keep a bag of chips for more than a few days now..
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 02:26
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

I buy Orowheat whole wheat light bread and its 19 carbs for 2 slices and also contains some good fiber 8 grams...I sometimes have this at RM so i can have some potatoes or maccaroni and not blow my carb balence out of the water. It tastes good and I can buy it at Safeway...
But as carb addicts we should definetely not have low carb bread at CM...for one this fiber still counts for us and most labels when saying 4 carbs per slice are taking in account fiber
Like the low carb tortillas they say only 3 ECC but for me a carb addict all 12 or what ever count

Good Luck
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 20:29
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

you are all so lucky to have stores in the states and wherever who carry lc items. I live in a small town so thereis no chance that I can get any of these products. Believe me, if I could buy them instead of wasting so many ingredients and time on some of the recipes, I certainly would!!! i dont really miss bread but if I could have aloaf in the freezer to have for a sandwich, it would be great. If I ever get back to the states for a holiday, I am definitely stocking up.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: C.A.L.P. and Bernstein
Stats: 204/176/-140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 8%

I make my own low carbohydrate bread which works out at 3 1/2g carbs a slice and is very tasty. My recipe makes two loaves that slice into 40 + slices (depending on the thickness of my electric bread slicer). I pack them two slices at a time in little freezer bags and freeze until I need them. I don't know the procedure here for recipes but I will gladly give you the recipe if you want to bake some yourself. It works out a heck of a lot cheaper than the breads you buy in the stores too.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 10:57
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I'd love the recipe. Maybe you could post it here and in the recipe section.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: C.A.L.P. and Bernstein
Stats: 204/176/-140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 8%

Happy to oblige. Happy baking

Low Carbohydrate Bread Recipe

13 oz Wheat Gluten.
4 oz Soy Flour
4 oz Oat Flour (made by grinding porridge oats in coffee grinder or processor).
3 oz Almond Flour (Ground Almonds)
2 oz Ground Linseed (grind as for oat flour).
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Pkts Dried Fast Action Yeast
22 fl oz warm water (blood heat)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 teaspoons of Xanthan gum (optional but aids the raising)

Mix dry ingredients together.
Add Yeast.
Add water and oil.
Knead using Almond Flour or Wheat gluten on worktop.
Put in 2 x 1 lb or 1 x 2 lb tin(s).
Leave to rise in a warm place for one hour (put inside plastic bag if you want to use less time). It should at least double in size.

Bake at 180 degrees electric or Gas 4 for 35 minutes. You can tell if it is done by "rapping" the bottom with your knuckles when you have turned it out. If it sounds hollow it is cooked, if not, return it to the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes).

This makes two loaves which should slice up to 40 slices depending on taste - anyway so you can work it out the entire recipe for the two loaves works out at 130g carbohydrate so count your slices and divide by that amount.