Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 05:48

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals: SATURDAY!

Dawn, thanks so much. I'm going to check out your link right now. I already do both those stretches (on both sides). The trouble is, I'm very flexible and can go way further than those pictures show, and STILL not feel like I'm stretching anything. On the gluteus stretch, my legs almost touch my chest, and on the piriformus stretch, the bent knee touches the ground (with the opposite shoulder still touching the ground).

I do a whole series of other stretches, too.

For example, you know the one where you're sitting on the floor, knees bent to the sides and the soles of your feet together? My heels are within a couple inches of my . . . "between the thighs" . . . and my knees touch the floor without trying. So no stretch there. Then, I bend over one knee with a virtually straight back and I'm fully chest to leg (can't go further than that!) over each knee and even to the front.

Strangely, there's no pain this morning, but yesterday was pretty bad. I have had piriformus pain before on my right side (but no radiating pain down the leg), so I've been worked on for this before.

When I said I'm convinced the chiro will break me, here's what happened. She put me in the piriformus stretch that you showed (one leg bent over the other leg), put one hand on my opposite shoulder to keep it down, the other hand on my bent knee, and then suddenly put all her weight and momentum on my bent knee to force it down more and twist and crack my back. I couldn't relax. It truly felt like she was going to rip something. She did other manipulations that felt ok, but this one definitely felt like something was wrong. I'm a strong believer in my gut emotions, and this felt wrong.

So, off to read your link. Back in a bit!

OH! Good morning everyone! Hope everyone is planning a nice low-carb day! Scale was bouncing between 152 and 153 yesterday morning before settling on 153. Also, remember I said I bought a couple suits recently because the ones I had didn't fit anymore? I took the skirts to the tailor yesterday to have them shortened, and so I decided to take the jacket to my favorite suit along (which is now way too big). They ended up taking the jacket in 4 inches! It looks sooooo much better now. The skirts (because they're lined) came to $24 each, and the jacket was only $24. I had assumed that the jacket would be a lot more.

Moral of story: If you have something you just love, but has gotten too big for you, have it altered. It doesn't cost that much. And you'll look so much better. The other seamstress there saw me in the jacket before my seamstress started pinning, and when she saw me after she smiled and said it made a world of difference. Wearing something that actually fits your body always looks better than wearing a tent. No matter what your size or shape.

Does anyone else watch "What Not to Wear"? It's my favorite show; I watch both the American version on HGTV (Friday nights and Saturdays at noon), and the British version on BBC America. They take women and men of all sizes and tell them what they should be wearing for their particular shapes. The before and after is truly amazing!

OK, back in a bit.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 06:30
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 65
BF:more than needed
Progress: 58%

Good morning everyone!!

Dawn and Bawdy thanks for sharing the sciatica info. Mine is not flaring but it tends to flare up when I over do it with yardwork. I know what a pain in the butt it can be. I filed your info for future use.

My weight is back down. I lose all my water weight after TOM and OD on sausage with my Zoo trip. I feel much better today and not so bloated again.

I am going to go running this AM, skipped yesterday because I had end of the year mass and school picnic for my oldest son, Frankie. The kids were cute doing all there games. Frank's team came in third. I guess they aren't very good at limbo dancing.

Last nite Frank had a Bday party at Chuckie Cheese. I can't stand the place, the noise and hub bub of activity drives me crazy!!! Fortunately, I was able to just drop Frank off. I went and did some reading at the bookstore. I found a new book/journal to start recording some of my resistance training info. I am finally going to get started I figure this will help with the exhaustion I feel after work especially if it has been a heavy lifting shift (which they are all starting to be)

Not much going on today. It is a pretty ugly day, rainy, foggy and cold. I think it will be a good day to stay in and read and sew. Lots of clothes on my pile to cut out and make. Bawdy, I know what you mean about how much better you look and feel when the clothes you wear are the right size. I am trying to clean things out as I go. I don't want the old big stuff left because I don't want to go back there again. It is fun to start finding things in smaller sizes-- the colors are much more vibrant as you get into smaller outfits. I love the choices, can't wait to get smaller.

Have a good day everyone!!!
Therese
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 07:43

BF:

Therese, good for you on the resistance training. I love how I feel when I'm into a weight-lifting routine. I've done next to nothing in the past couple months, not even my beloved Bowflex. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into it soon. Weight-lifting empowers you, somehow. You start to feel like you're invincible!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 268/257/150 Female 68
BF:39%
Progress: 9%
Post Back on track!

Hello everyone!

I have done my 200 sit-ups, going to Curves, then coming back home to do Pilates. It is going to be a very hot day today. I'm staying home and will find something to do, the library is nearby. I have so much energy to burn. I am going to church tonight.

Well, I hope everyone has a good day.

See U tomorrow!

Cindy Q
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 11:29
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Just a quick fly by.. getting ready to run up to S.C. and go up to the slot machines at cherokee... it's to blinkety blank hot to go camping or the such this weekend..phew man!

Bawdy.. you would probably do better with resistance exercises.. with your flexibility.. where you would resist in different positions to activate or deactivate different sets of muscles.. I use them in my practice, they are called MET's.. Muscle Energy Techiniqes.

Let me know if you find a massage therapist.. and if I can help steer you in a good direction.. ( atlanta? LOL--roadtrip?.....or that would be one heck of a travel fee..LMAO!)

Anyways..kind of like what this pic is illustrating..

#6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 11:32
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of PAIN waterangel
I have done my 200 sit-ups

GASPS.......200? eek.. ow.. lol..go girl!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 12:51

BF:

Thanks, Dawn. If this week is as bad as last week, I think I'll call my doctor for a consultation referral with my favorite physical therapist. He has people working for him who specialize in all sorts of techniques. He himself has just a wonderful touch. Too bad he's married.

BAWDY! Shame on you!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 13:08

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Why do you think you're named Bawdy??

I am beginning to think my bloating and appetite increase may be from the higher estradiol Rx I started. I originally went higher because of night sweats returning after my surgery but I want to drop it back and see if that corrects itself. Besides, half the time this summer I'll have the air on at night so who cares.

Just got back from 2 hrs in the sun. I use a 15 sunscreen(CVS housebrand) and do get some color. Tried the water but it's a little too cold for me yet, although all the kids are in there!

I'm reading that Dr Phil book. There's actually a lot of good mindset stuff in there, I just don't like his food plan.

Anyway, congrats to our losers and exercisers!!

Elaine