Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 11:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/236/195 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Need advice on Atkins diet for my son.

My 13 year old son is interested in the Atkins diet. He could probably stand to lose at least 20 of his 150 pounds on his 'big boned' 5' 2" frame. He is sensitive about his spare tire and puffy stomach like any teenager. Together we have been cutting down his carb intake for the last couple of weeks. (Sausage and eggs with one piece of toast for breakfast instead of a couple bowls of cereal. Water and a hard boiled egg exchanged for SunnyD and raisins in his lunch box. No more rice or fries at dinner.) He sees the radical changes in my body and energy level 3 weeks into the diet myself. Also, my wife started the diet 2 days ago. I've been explaining the mechanics of the diet when he asks, and I think he is motivated to try it. I just know how good he will feel in a couple weeks but don't know if it is OK for kids. He is healthy, besides a few spring allergies now, but is just as addicted to carbs as I was. I feel like I'm leaving him behind...

So, how do I start him on Atkins? By the book ? Induction? Is it OK for growing kids? I appreciate your advice on this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 12:17

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Atkins - OK for kids

If you review the food you are now feeding your child. REAL FOOD, not processed, invented foods that are made with all the processed flours and sugars.

I did find this link at the Atkins center this should get you started. I believe changing to REAL, WHOLE food is already a healthy step forward.

http://atkinscenter.com/helpatkins/...hild/index.html

Lots of other articles about kids at this site.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 19:42
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I think it is great that your son wants to do this and you are helping him. If he is talking to you about his concerns with his weight, you must have a really good relationship with him. I never would have felt comfortable talking to my parents about this topic at that age.

One thing to remember about a 13-year-old boy is that he is probably about to start his growth spurt. I have a 17-year-old son, and when he was that age, he and many of his friends put on weight and then grew rapidly and slimmed down. If you can help your son just maintain his weight, and maybe lose a few pounds, he should end up thin by the time he is 16. My son was 155 pounds at age 13 and is still 155 pounds at age 17, but he went from 5'6" to 6'2" or 6'3" (I haven't measured him lately). My daughter had a similar pattern -- she was pudgy at age 10, but at age 13 she is 5'6" and 120 pounds and quite slim.

Based on my experience with my two kids, I would focus on getting your son to eat a healthy diet and stop gaining weight, and trust that a lot of the excess weight will take care of itself as he grows.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 15:42

Plan: sommersize
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 71%

I am with you! I have a 13 year old son who is 4'9.5" and 145lbs. We are concerned about growth and have spoken to an endocrynologist. He suggested we just cut back on carbs but not do anything too strict. He was more concerned we get the weight off than the diet itself. So many kids get diabetes now and that would really be life altering. DH is also a "carb lover"...must run in the family...lol! We are focusing on meat and veggies and reading and learning as we go. Best of luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 345/265/150
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default My Inspiration - a ten year old boy!

My biggest inspiration for successful low carbing is a ten-year old (now 11) boy who lost 50 pounds in five months on a medically supervised low carb diet. I didn't even recognize him when he came back to school after the summer. There's a doctor in Huntington, West Virginia who's using Low Carbing with great success for a lot of children.

We were even on TV together talking about low carbing.

His mom told me today that the boy's 17 year old brother started low carbing three months ago and has lost over 50 pounds.